• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Fortified Library Zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Errol

Scan Progress: 74%
So, yeah, this is the map I intended to use for the OLDC back then in Sep/Oct. I dug it back up and made it playable. Thing placement is more than a bit haphazard (and unfinished) but should be servicable for now. I intend to wait for feedback to further adjust it.

A word of caution. The map is HUGE. The perfect number of players probably has two digits, and you shouldn't even try below six. This is the main reason I won't submit it for the OLDC, simply because it is too large and elaborate for its own good. On the plus side, this should make for fun matches of Hide and Seek, provided the time is adeaquately adjusted.

To-do-list:

- Complete the part with the waterslide.
- Retexture blue base.
- Look into thing placement, finish, blah.
- Hide more goodies.
- Flesh out some alternate pathes.
- Finish Megamari spriteart/megaproject.
- Deblandify parts of the level, walls and stuff.
- Hide more Touhou, and, ideally, Seihou references.
- Look into possibility of map shrink.

There are two versions, with custom BGM and without.

No BGM Version:

http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/306f_fortifiedlibrary.wad

BGM version:

http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/807f_m_fortifiedlibrary.wad

Enjoy, and please report back on what could be improved, why, and how.

Wow... I don't know what to say. There is absolutely no word to describe this map's hugeness.

This map is very hard to rate, because it's size makes it nearly unplayable, yet on the other hand it has a lot of effort put into it and it features enough paths and items.
I clearly didn't see the entire level yet, but I really want to say that this map should be sized down by a lot. Also, decrease the amount of vertical variation.
On the plus side, it doesn't look bad and the item placement (as mentioned) before isn't bad either.

?/10 (It's extremely hard to decide)

On an unrelated note, this is actually even more shrunken down than the original concept xD For now, it is scaled down to 75% in the dev version that will get released when I finish up the sectors.

Changelog so far:

- Downscale to 75%
- shaved off the rock section at the bottom, it was totally unneeded
- changed red textures into blue ones in blue team's half

what still needs to get into the release:

- finish balcony revamp, perhaps remove unneeded parts

Well, I haven't really played this map in a proper netgame, but I will say that the map is definitely too big for its own good. It took me six minutes to find the red base, and I never did find the blue base. Also, the middle section seems to have a lot of sectors that didn't get the Death Pit special removed.

Use SRB2 Doom Builder. It's better and less irritating.

It's what I use, and it still borks the map I load. I fear I need to reinstall again until it works again :(

Red, the pit will get reworked (along with the outdoors in general, which will be simplified by a LOT, so that there is LoS between the bases and you at least know where to search) as soon as I find time and my SRB2DB stops acting up.

Map will get shrinked next map session, not much I can do otherwise. Lay some more carpet people can follow? Some flags?

It's what I use, and it still borks the map I load. I fear I need to reinstall again until it works again :(

Try using Taskmgr (Run > taskmgr, or ctrl+alt+del) to stop explorer.exe. It may work. Oh, and remember to flick "always on top" int he task manager, because explorer.exe is very... important for some things, as you'll find, and taskmgr could make a temporary substitute for one of explorer.exe's things.

That didn't help.

After closely monitoring the installation process, I noticed an error message of sorts:

Code:
Could not find symbol: DllRegisterServer

Alright, could someone upload an installed, zipped version of the DB? I doubt it'll work, but you have to try everything.

OK, that's something we have sorted out. He still optimizes the data structures into orbit.

And this is how the mess looks like:
completemess.png

If he loads the map at all. He downright crashes on loading others, and, oddly, manages when loading very, very simple maps. As in, a small nondescript rectangular room.

I think saving is also borked up, likely to be a nodebuilder issue. And I use XP as well.

The only thing that could have thrown it offcourse is that I use an japanese locale. (For touhou stuff.) I'm going to try using applocale to run it in an english locale...

/e: Didn't help either.

Awwright, figured out what caused DB to act up. Turns out, it really was the japanese locale.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back