Am I the only one who genuinely likes Sonic '06?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally like Sonic '06 myself. But I won't deny that it's an awful unfinished mess. I like Sonic '06 because of all the ideas and concepts it brought to the table but sadly, the "germ of a good idea" was buried under a mountain of sloppy, unpolished gameplay.

Also I have sort of a nostalgia for Sonic '06 too lol. I remember watching the cutscenes when I was about eight years old when the game came out. I didn't have any next gen consoles at the time so I was unable to play it and I never really saw gameplay of Sonic '06 until 2010 and was really surprised by all the backlash it got. Then in 2012, I had bought myself a copy of the game to see for myself how bad it was. I personally enjoyed it, had some moments where I raged because of some bullshit thing that happened but overall, I had a fun and a decent experience with it, though I did see where everyone was coming from. As soon as I completed Sonic '06, I thought I was done tangoing with it until the Game Grumps, back when JonTron was still on the show, uploaded their first episode for Sonic '06 and I was instantly hooked seeing as I just completed it. Sorry that I wrote an essay above but I was just explaining my thoughts and taking a trip down memory lane. Also Sonic '06's fucking music is A1.

I was going to write a lot of what Larztard said, but he basically said it for me so I'll just say "same" and note the differences.

I was ten when the game came out, and was able to play it. I didn't really note a lot of the story decisions - IT'S SONIC! IN A SERIOUS GAME! WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT? - and just straight up enjoyed myself even through the bugs and the crap. When you're ten, confused, and bored by everything, you've got to find outlets. Critical thought was not a skill I'd developed by that point, anyways.

It wasn't until later revisitations of the game that I realised it was only good enough to hold my attention and focus my lack of attention span as a child, and that's been part of the reason I've been too scared to go back and replay Heroes - my first and favourite console game. (At least Advance 3 seems to have held up...)

I Ragequitted the game because of it's easy to reproduce game breaking glitches, Specifically at the Lava level (whataver is it called), and with PS3 Controls it wasn't easy to get past the wallrunning sections without getting stuck, It's not easy to play that game without ending up getting stuck somewhere, and before you realize it was glitching, you just leave the game.

You're free to like whatever you want Heh, That game is cheap IMO lol.

Last edited:
For me, 06 did have potential to be good; it tried to be Sonic Adventure 3 but due to rushes, it well... was horrible to play, really.

Well, I never played 06 nor did I play Rise of Lyric, they're both bad, it's not a question of what's worse or better, it's what's more fun to abuse the glitches with for me, really.

Last edited:
Though I've never played '06, I'm a little sentimental toward Sonic R, which is probably almost as bad save for the soundtrack.

Though I've never played '06, I'm a little sentimental toward Sonic R, which is probably almost as bad save for the soundtrack.

heheh

Me too. Just like toaster, I'm kinda 'fraid to play Sonic Heroes again since it's literally one of my best childhood memories

I actually thought it was pretty good. The music was amazing, the level design was pretty good, the gameplay was decent, and I encountered a surprisingly low amount of glitches. Sonic Adventure was a lot worse when it came to glitches, but to be fair, Sonic Adventure was a better game in general. One thing I didn't like was the speed. During the actual gameplay parts (non speedup, snowboard, rail grinding), sonic isn't really that fast. Plus the story sucked, but who plays sonic for the story?

I've played a bit of 2K6, and I can say that Sonic R isn't nearly as bad. Sonic R is a bad game which also happened to be released at the absolute worst time. In an era where Super Mario 64 had completely revolutionized the entire concept of how a 3D game controls, Sonic R is a racing game with racing game controls that looks like a 3D platformer. It's kinda like how SRB2 doesn't control how people expect, but without strafe to make it even more awkward to start out. It's also incredibly short. I cannot imagine paying $50 for five stages that you can 100% in two hours.

2K6, however, is simply a terrible game in every way. It's not redeemable like Sonic R was when they sold the PC port for $5. I died in the first stage in literally two seconds. The entire first level is a giant bottomless pit, and it's the FIRST LEVEL. 2K6's problems go way beyond just rushing it out the door. It wouldn't have been a good game even if they had given it another year of polish.

Now, that's not to say you can't have a good time with pure rubbish, as this thread demonstrates. Just because something's complete shit doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself. 2K6 is one of the worst games ever made, and that makes suffering through it for comedy quite popular.

I've played a bit of 2K6, and I can say that Sonic R isn't nearly as bad. Sonic R is a bad game which also happened to be released at the absolute worst time. In an era where Super Mario 64 had completely revolutionized the entire concept of how a 3D game controls, Sonic R is a racing game with racing game controls that looks like a 3D platformer.

To be fair, I'm not saying that it wasn't a decent effort at the time, but it still hasn't aged well. The problems go well beyond the controls and the length of the game -- there's invisible walls everywhere, the character roster is horribly imbalanced, and entire sections of the levels are rendered pointless due to excessive shortcuts. I doubt it's as frustrating to deal with as '06, but it does at least parallel the title in my mind as a nostalgic piece of garbage.

To be fair, I'm not saying that it wasn't a decent effort at the time, but it still hasn't aged well. The problems go well beyond the controls and the length of the game -- there's invisible walls everywhere, the character roster is horribly imbalanced, and entire sections of the levels are rendered pointless due to excessive shortcuts. I doubt it's as frustrating to deal with as '06, but it does at least parallel the title in my mind as a nostalgic piece of garbage.

Well, you have got to admit that the stages have pretty good level design and music, but i agree the problems are nearly the controls and its length. It makes it a bit difficult to get through shortcuts with these controls, you probably need to get used to the controls. And just 5 tracks, it has great level design but just not enough stages.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

But when it comes to Sonic 06 just technical issues and glitches

To me, the game's "OK-ish". It's something I can still enjoy (especially with friends). However, I think there was a lot of lost potential due to it being so rushed among other things.

I have yet to try it, I'm one of those people who really enjoys and gets a good laugh out of broken games , and the brokeness extends to the multiplayer mode too, so of course I must screw my brother over with mind-numbing glitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back