SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 08-25-2016   #321
SANICBOOM644
Blue Hedgehog Acceleration

8.1 is actually a different OS, I know it sounds like it doesn't, but it is like the new upgrade for Windows 10
SANICBOOM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #322
Fres
oof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennysuavo View Post
I hope sonic can breathe in space, or else it may not be a very long level. :P
But that would be inconsistent having him breathe in space there and suddenly not in Egg Rock though.
Fres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #323
SANICBOOM644

You can make the excuse of GEZ being close enough to "Sonic's Planet"
Old 08-26-2016   #324
MosaicMario
Possessed User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANICBOOM644 View Post
8.1 is actually a different OS, I know it sounds like it doesn't, but it is like the new upgrade for Windows 10
8.1 is just a service pack, you can install it right away after installing 8. And like on Windows 7 for example you won't get any new updates without the service pack, and so on Windows 8. And a service pack usually comes with all the bugfixes, security patches etc. that were released preior to the service pack. Just becaue Windows 7 has its service pack installed does not mean that it is an entirely new system.
Old 08-26-2016   #325
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosaicMario View Post
8.1 is just a service pack, you can install it right away after installing 8. And like on Windows 7 for example you won't get any new updates without the service pack, and so on Windows 8. And a service pack usually comes with all the bugfixes, security patches etc. that were released preior to the service pack. Just becaue Windows 7 has its service pack installed does not mean that it is an entirely new system.
This isn't true, actually. 8.1 is considered a different version of Windows, if a merely incremental update - initially, it could not be gotten from Windows Update at all, you had to get it from the Windows Store. Furthermore, computers with Windows 8.1 installed are marked differently from computers without, and vanilla Windows 8 received its own updates until January of this year.

Ultimately, the reason for the divide between versions is often marketing more than it is technical.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #326
Katwover
typicality nonsensical

It's pretty much Windows 9 under a different guise.
Old 08-27-2016   #327
SANICBOOM644

Windows OS(?) on Mobiles is considered windows 9
Old 08-28-2016   #328
Shane
Has no life for Hardware.
Developer

Can we just agree that Microsoft are incapable of counting to 10 properly and go back to 2.2 talk?
Old 08-28-2016   #329
SANICBOOM644

Will the Super Forms for Tails and Knuckles be removed or disabled
Old 10-07-2016   #330
U.Flame

I'm guessing that this release is big enough that save files for 2.1 won't be compatible? I'm actually kind of hoping it won't be released soon because that would drain my motivation to collect emblems if it won't matter by 2.2.
U.Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #331
Steel Titanium

It's a major update with changes to levels and game itself, did you really expect it to be compatible?
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #332
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Not to mention the game can tell if you're using save files from a different version of SRB2 anyway, so yeah, don't expect 2.2 to be compatible with 2.1 save files at all.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #333
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.Flame View Post
I'm guessing that this release is big enough that save files for 2.1 won't be compatible? I'm actually kind of hoping it won't be released soon because that would drain my motivation to collect emblems if it won't matter by 2.2.
It won't be compatible, but one thing we've occasionally talked about is making a conversion program that'd keep your emblems that haven't changed. Probably won't happen, mind you, but it is a possibility.

Also, we're not releasing soon so feel free to go on your emblem hunt. If nothing else your experience exploring the stages will very much help you when 2.2 does finally release.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #334
SANICBOOM644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
It won't be compatible, but one thing we've occasionally talked about is making a conversion program that'd keep your emblems that haven't changed. Probably won't happen, mind you, but it is a possibility.

Also, we're not releasing soon so feel free to go on your emblem hunt. If nothing else your experience exploring the stages will very much help you when 2.2 does finally release.
Good Job on not releasing early take as much time as you need to make SRB2 great again!
Old 10-08-2016   #335
U.Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Titanium View Post
It's a major update with changes to levels and game itself, did you really expect it to be compatible?
I figured it wouldn't. Didn't hurt to ask.

Quote:

Thanks! That's good to know. Do you know if WADs would have any compatibility changes?

Last edited by U.Flame; 10-08-2016 at 01:33 AM. Reason: responding to unseen replies
U.Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016   #336
Willstolife

Quote:

It NEEDS to be a possibility. Otherwise collecting emblems are really pointless.
Willstolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016   #337
Unknownlight

I agree. I really, really do not want to recollect the ATZ emblems.
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016   #338
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

Personally, I'm completely okay with a major update resetting my progress, even for things that stay the same. It's a fresh new experience, right?
Even if some stuff stays the same, a lot of stuff does not, and getting a head start with emblem hunting, perhaps unlocking the emblem hints or even emblem radar as soon as you boot the game the first time, does spoil the hunting a bit in my opinion.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016   #339
MK.exe
The one and only!

Well it makes sense for the levels that will be Major changes lile GFZ and ACZ. But the idea of transfering emblems from older versions seem very handy.

How about add more emblems?
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016   #340
Rob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.Flame View Post
Thanks! That's good to know. Do you know if WADs would have any compatibility changes?
Only wads that are maps and JUST maps will be compatible. Lua scripts will probably not work, and since we have a new palette, no mod with graphic changes will be properly compatible either.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote