• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

OBLIGE for SRB2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluggard

Formerly "RomioTheBadass"
I was wondering if anyone here has/is going to make OBLIGE that generates SRB2 Maps , since it's Source code is available :

http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

It's a pretty fun tool which i used several times to make fun Maps for Doom .

If you want to make something that is overly small, doesn't match the playstyle of SRB2, and has no gimmicks, sure, you can go and make it yourself.

...or don't, because I'm pretty sure no one in releases wants to deal with no-effort generated maps all the time.

That... that sounds like it'd make even worse maps than the ones it makes for Doom.

Last edited:
I have tried it, it's okay at best; there's just no reason at all to pick it over a human-made map. I admire the programming work behind it, but its results are not something I'd play very much

It would be a great way to create maps to spare the time though, and even to make starter maps which you can modify to create better maps .

You are seriously overstating the quality of SLIGE and its derivatives. SRB2 maps require a huge amount of design work that cannot be reasonably randomly generated. The maps in DooM are a million times simpler - boxy rooms without floors over floors are the norm, not the exception.

Put it this way: DooM derives its fun from fighting monsters. If the level provides reasonable cover, then that's kind of easy to pull off. On the other hand, SRB2's gameplay is almost entirely unrelated. Levels don't need to just have fun setpieces, they need to have weaving paths, unique gimmicks, and be a challenge in and of themselves. Machine-generated levels are nowhere near that state.

I decided to give the program a try, and I guess it was fun ... For a while. The puzzles became very repetitive, and soon it became clear that most rooms were going to be a lot like this.

You can't just make a template and spam it around the place, you need to add a lot of variance to make it stand apart from the rest and become a truly new experience.

Even the Doom community has its share of decent mappers, much like SRB2 does, and it's where random generators fall flat; they don't have the ability to make style, because it's impossible to randomly generate art. You have to add the art, then make it happen sometimes.

You can look at pi for a while and it's endless numbers. It just looks plain alone. Slap on a way for the number to generate some art, and here you go.

piday-2014-poster-16-lowres.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back