[Open Assets] Custom Character Ability: Stomp Attack

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
I'm not ADHD as far as I know, but I do get bored rather easily when there's no homework or large SRB2 projects to keep me busy. As a result, I came up with this neat little character ability that could be used in some interesting ways. Enjoy!

The Stomp Attack allows a character to shoot straight downwards toward the ground as their mid-air ability. This can be used to send a character to the ground quickly instead of falling down, which is quite slow by comparison, in order to save time, or to bounce off of enemies or other destroyable objects, allowing a character to soar high into the air and over dangerous obstacles. Monitor bouncing: now with no skill required.
You can change the VAR1 of frame 2010 to modify the force of the attack, and therefore how much rebound it has. The default value is -25. If the value is positive instead of negative, the player will be shot upwards instead of downwards.

All of my custom character abilities are free to use in any character WAD as long as credit is given. After all, they exist only to be used, don't they?

The .zip file with the character ability name contains the SOC for the control object, and the .zip file with "test" before the ability name contains a modified copy of sonic.plr which demonstrates the ability.

Attachments

• stomp.zip
    412 bytes · Views: 1,577
  • test_stomp.zip
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,196
  • srb20144.png
    srb20144.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 2,322
  • srb20145.png
    srb20145.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,943
Last edited:
Great wad! The Only problem is that the sonic plr file goes crazy when you edit the Stomp height.
Yeah, if you edit the height too radically it can exhibit some strange behavior. That shouldn't be too big of a problem, though.

Can someone create a sword or melee weapons? like punching kicking.etc.

It would be possible theoretically as a modified spindash cut short by the spinitem, but it would screw up the character's jump animations in the process, so it probably won't happen anytime soon.

Just create a custom character, set both their ability and actionspd to 0, set their thokitem to the control object of the ability, and finally set ghostthokitem to 0. Make sure to copypaste the SOC into the OBJCTCFG of the WAD file as well. Or you could just download the example character and modify it, give it different sprites, etc. If you need more information, just visit the SRB2 Wiki's SOC/Character Design pages.

I need to know, would it be possible to put this in a custom wad, but instead of jumping twice to activate stomp, you jump then press the spin button? I'm trying to make a "modern sonic" wad.

No, now that I look into it, it is. if you edit the parameters from the bomb shield,
then all you have to do is replace air explode with stomp (of course, this might require intense socing, but...).

Not possible. It's hardcoded to explode when you get hit or use it. It doesen't even go into its deathstate to explode or anything; it simply tells the code to cause an explosion while making the screen flash.

okay. Then I either find some way to get in college about computer arts (Im only ten), find out how to crack the code my self, or just except it as it is.

I`ll go with option three.

"crack the code", hah. SRB2's source code is open-source, you have all permission to grab it whereever it is available and edit it to your liking, provided you know how to do so of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back