Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
Whenever I try to load my new avatar it says, "Must be less than 10kb." So can anyone make the file smaller for me?

Get a program that has a better palette generation method. Looks like the program you used does not try to generate a unique palette for its image, but rather, uses its own predefined palette, causing colors to dither in a way that makes them look bad. A good program should be able to preserve image quality at a reasonable level while running on a palette of less than 256 colors. Remember, the more colors in an image, the larger the filesize will be.

Well, do you have one I could use? I coudl only find one free one that didn't mess up the image with something liek the title of the animator. The one I'm using is microsoft GIF animator.

Convert it to a .jpg file, they are a lot smaller than .gif files, although I do not know how exactly to do that :oops:

For example, my avatar was 45kb as a (I actually don't remember what extension the picture used to be) file, but as a jpg it is only slightly more than 4kb

HSEW said:
Convert it to a .jpg file, they are a lot smaller than .gif files, although I do not know how exactly to do that :oops:

For example, my avatar was 45kb as a (I actually don't remember what extension the picture used to be) file, but as a jpg it is only slightly more than 4kb

GIF files are the only image extensions that can be animated whilst being a good filesize.

I almost never use JPG, just because it's a lossy image format. It works well for photos, but terrible for anything else.

nitro_the_hedghog said:
Well, do you have one I could use? I coudl only find one free one that didn't mess up the image with something liek the title of the animator. The one I'm using is microsoft GIF animator.
I use Microsoft GIF Animator too, but I make the frames in Photoshop, which lets you save GIFs with their own pallete instead of the 256 colour one. I'm not good at explaining stuff, so look at this VG Cats YTMND I made ages ago.

Still, using MS GIF is a bit tedious, if you have the money, I suggest using Flash or Fireworks, (both of these programs can make lossless GIFs out of any picture format.)

I'll Begin said:
nitro_the_hedghog said:
I use Microsoft GIF Animator too, but I make the frames in Photoshop, which lets you save GIFs with their own pallete instead of the 256 colour one. I'm not good at explaining stuff, so look at this VG Cats YTMND I made ages ago.

Still, using MS GIF is a bit tedious, if you have the money, I suggest using Flash or Fireworks, (both of these programs can make lossless GIFs out of any picture format.)

I use drawplus 7 and that works perfectly for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back