Suggestions

Think the problem with the gif Rumia1's talking about was that it was made to be 1:1 with your speed, so a fully charged spindash would be insane. Knuckles works as a heavy/slow character in my opinion, so I'm fine with the glide slowing you down a bit; maybe it would benefit from being a fraction of your speed, instead of matching it exactly?

Last edited:
TBH, Knuckles and Sonic are fine as they are, for now. But Tails is the one that needs some buffing, since his flight is slow and makes him a sitting (or flying?) duck in Match or any ringslinger mode, if the player does not do the classic 'spindash and jump' trick beforehand, which I'm sure that, toaster is currently fixing. also, toaster... can you pls add multicarry as a secret feature c:

I did some research on this back when planning out all the sprites that needed to be made for Smiles.

It turns out Tails never had drowning sprites, but Knuckles did - so I guess that's probably how it's gonna work out for 2.2.

Can you please make jump a universal confirm button and spin a universal back button for menus? It would make joystick navigation easier.

Can you please make jump a universal confirm button and spin a universal back button for menus? It would make joystick navigation easier.
As a matter of fact, I've been very recently debating making a "merge request" on the source code repository for (subjectively) better controller (and mouse) support for menus.
Specifically, when using an X-Input (XBox-style) controller/a PlayStation controller (emulated into an X-Input controller)/a mouse...
- A/Cross/Left mouse button is used to confirm
- B/Circle/Right mouse button to cancel
- Y/Triangle/Middle mouse click to do the same as backspace (delete saves, blank out controls, etcetera)

However, I haven't made a way to open the menu using a controller, but even then, for my relatively essential configuration, only the B button is completely free during gameplay, and using that to open a pause menu seems... very silly and out-of-place.
I have tested my code changes (which is more than just changing the virtual key remappings), and it does seem to work pretty well, although I haven't tested it out 100%.
...As for making jump/spin universally confirm/cancel for menus, while I can see how that might be useful to some people for some reasons, I can also see a few issues with it, all in all weighing out to be pretty neutral-ish if the user knows what they are doing, and pretty bad if the user doesn't.

Last edited:
Think the problem with the gif Rumia1's talking about was that it was made to be 1:1 with your speed, so a fully charged spindash would be insane. Knuckles works as a heavy/slow character in my opinion, so I'm fine with the glide slowing you down a bit; maybe it would benefit from being a fraction of your speed, instead of matching it exactly?

What about gliding at normal running speed

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Nope, Those are normal Death sprites, Drowning doesn't have it's own sprites (yet ?) .
This question was answered above dough, and i found out that they were not added yet even dough FSonic has them.

I'm just saying I want some way for knuckles to be fast the glide seems slow, and like what sanicboom just said, I think it would at least be good to add some speed to the glide. Or just make the gradual glide speed faster to get to.

That's what I was talking about, while this might be too buff, fully spin dashing and gliding could result in moving fast for a few seconds then slowing down, with a speed cap on gliding

So, we've actually tried letting Knuckles preserve some (and all) of his speed when entering a glide, and I can tell you that it's completely absurd.

One of the things you have to remember is that part of making a game with decisions that matter (like character choice) is that there need to be real tradeoffs and that you need to really lose out on something to get something else. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all have major strengths, but they also have significant downsides to their abilities. If Tails and Knuckles could freely keep their momentum while using their abilities, what would even be the point of using Sonic?

Sonic is the only one with access to shield abilities in S3K. The Lightning Shield in particular is way faster at going up than either Tails or Knuckles is, at the drawback of losing it if you get hit.

what would even be the point of using Sonic?
As much of a death sentence it is to disagree with you, Sonic is meant for speed. For starters, he has the fastest normalspeed in the vanilla game, being 36 FRACUNITS, while Knuckles is 34 FRACUNITS and keeping his momentum while gliding is not going to go faster than Sonic unless you're from a high height, next, Sonic has a speed thok making him the fastest character in the game by default. Tails' and Knuckles' accelerations are shit compared to Sonic, they have absolutely no way to get to their normalspeed without spindash jumping or slowly getting up to their speed in about 2-3 seconds(not correctly calculated). Sonic can get to his normalspeed in a second(not correctly calculated) and his Speed Thok gets him past his max speed in under a second, no doubt.

Knuckles' Gliding based on speed and momentum is questionable at best, its not absurd, but if anything, it should be based on Knuckles' normalspeed (minus speedshoes), meaning that the max it can go up to his normalspeed, 34 FRACUNITS, and anything slower than the actionspd should not affect the actionspd anymore. It is just a suggestion though (not like you care about most of them anyways), but making Knux's glide a little more speed-based can make Knuckles a little more bearable in your crazy match system.

Last edited:
It's a lot more complicated than that. Different modes emphasize different abilities of characters. What is powerful in single player or match are generally very different things. Sonic is fast. His speed is powered by his ability, the thok, which gives you instant speed. His drawback is that he has a serious lack of ability to go up. Without a spring, slope, or other method of gaining altitude, Sonic is limited in his ability to go up and he cannot bypass any platforming at all. To take the obvious opposite example, Tails has absolutely no problems going upwards at all. His ability completely trivializes many platforming challenges and he can easily traverse complicated terrain with no real issues. Tails, however, can't go fast without a lot of prior planning. Without spindashing or speed shoes, Tails is stuck accelerating up to his running speed the slow way and runs slower than everyone else to boot. These strengths and weaknesses are practically polar opposites.

Now, let's look at two obvious modes of play. In single player, the emphasis the game provides is platforming and challenging terrain. Tails excels at that, and the single player game is by far the easiest to play through as Tails. In match, the emphasis the game has is on acceleration and speed. Sonic excels at that, and therefore he's incredibly strong in match. The designs of our modes emphasize different things, and different characters fill those niches best.

We could, if we wanted to, "fix" this by shoring up the character's weaknesses. I'm pretty damn sure that if Tails could fly around at run speed, he'd be way better in match. If we gave Sonic the ability to, say, thok directly upwards, he'd be way better in single player. The problem is that by circumventing character weaknesses, we make the character overall less compelling. The whole POINT of having a choice is to make you give up something for something else. If we removed those weaknesses all of the characters would be fair, but at the cost of making all the characters the same.

I think that homogenizing the characters would be a huge mistake. We want our characters to all feel unique. While this does lead to more complicated questions as to how to make single player challenging for Tails and how to make Sonic weaker in match, it's way better in the long run to preserve what makes each character unique, even if they're drawbacks.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back