• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Blaze WAD WIP. (Last Alpha Release!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is looking cool! And SonicTheDalek is right, you should base Espio's spinning frames as Blazes, because she spins like that too. And a word of advice, Don't forget her "Super Form," Burning Blaze, like STD said. And maybe, if 1.1 allows this, You can have it that she has Sol Emeralds instead of Chaos Emeralds. And maybe, If this is put into 1.1 as well, You can give her Super Transformation frames! :D. I hope this get's on good, because this is looking great! Oh, and in Rush, she Spin-Jumps, so don't forget that, either. ;) Good job on this, by the way!

EDIT: Oh, and if you figure out what the sprite-number of the flames that come from the Red shield are, you can make it that she spawns flames when she spins instead of those flame balls, or you can make those her spinitem, and the flames her thonkitem. Will the flames act the way they are supposed to? Yes. How do I know? Someone's Recolor of Shadow, Inferno.wad, is my proof. :)

You're right about the walking frames SonicTheDalek. I forgot to make two out of 8 of the frames that needed to be there and placed other frames in it's place, I actually made them now. I didn't realize the end sign would screw up other character WADs, so I tried fixing it so that sign would only work for Blaze, much like how SRB2 can replace sounds without disrupting the default sounds of other WADs, but that didn't work out, doh!
Anyway, I have released one last Alpha because of the animation and some other things. Don't worry, this is my last Alpha release before the Beta. (Unless there's something is horribly wrong with the WAD)
http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=9b023dac5dad909183a35fee230f47f0
I already had plans on making her super-form, but that's the least of my worries right now, I'm having a hard time making the spin frames look right. Her spin frames can't just spin, she has to be on fire while spinning too, and it's hard to do that right and it not look flat during game play.
Also, about her ability, I'm so undecided about what to do, that I'm open to suggestions and going to start a Poll. Here the abilities you'll see in it.
-The ability to Float with slow decent is the first ability to come to mind, but she shouldn't hover forever and it's difficult to control. I would need to make it so that her falling frames turn on and make a timer that turns hovering off after a short time, maybe I could sponge off of the fly-timer?
-I might be able to soc the flying ability to act like a short mid-air burst, much like her axle tornado move in Sonic Rush, although I might need a little help on it if that's what everybody wants.
-Double jump is a good ability and seems to suit her currently. To those who can actually stomach playing that horrid 'Sonic' 360 game, double jump might seem natural for Blaze.
Please don't bother suggesting these abilities:
-Thoking looks hilariously stupid on Blaze, trust me.
-Flying is totally out of the question.
-Gliding would work, but the turning is way too sharp.
-No ability at all or the Super-Sonic Float makes no sense.
Hyper Shadic X, I appreciate your interest in this WAD and I like your suggestion of adding the Sol emeralds, I should be able to add them in SRB2v1.09 if I can find the file-names of the chaos emeralds' graphics. Also, I'm not continuing with the fireball idea, instead, her custom spin trail will look like blurs of her spin frames, like in Sonic Rush. The custom trail uses the spinitem slot, so the inferno shield's flames can't be added anyway.

The float fits. Isn't float what she has in Sonic Rush Adventure? Although I guess that would be slowfall... But for now, it works. Just finish the cosmetics of the character, please? ;_;

Ash said:
The float fits. Isn't float what she has in Sonic Rush Adventure? Although I guess that would be slowfall... But for now, it works. Just finish the cosmetics of the character, please? ;_;

Yes, Light Dasher. I said this already.

She does have a slow decent in Sonic Rush and SRA, but I forgot what they called in the manual. I instantly wanted to implement it into my WAD, but in Sonic Rush, she starts falling after hovering for a short time, and SRB2 doesn't have a timer for hovering. =( I may have to make a timer, is that possible and how would I do that?
Ash said:
Just finish the cosmetics of the character, please? ;_;
Don't worry about that, I'm actively working on her graphics to ensure she doesn't look like another hideous, third-rate Sonic recolor, the latest Alpha has already improved drastically since the first WIP. Although I'm working on other portions of the WAD(Like the shading and her ability) while I'm stumped on her spin frames.

You can't soc a timer for any ability, really, unless you wanna break other characters. In fact, if you socced a timer for slowfall, it'll affect jumping too, because SRB2 uses the same states for jumping and hovering.

Slowfall is fairly balanced as it is anyway. It's not like falling for ages really slowly is terribly useful in SRB2, so it's not an issue. It's just like gliding but it handles differently. I wish I saw more characters using it.

Why is Blaze so slow? I thought she was as fast as Knuckles, if not faster, but slower than Sonic.

That was the W.I.P. The new one was the last alpha, seen in one of the posts. And DP, I can make the Sol Emeralds for 'ya. ;) I'm just hoping that in SRB2 ver. 1.1, The Custom Sounds will also work for Custom Sprite Replacements... or something. XD And is it OK If I extract some Sound Affects from Rush and '06? And yes, Blaze uses Espio's spin, or uses something close to that. Even in '06, her "Flame Claw" was spinning, so Espio's a good choice. I can edit that too (With permission from the creator of Espio.wad of course), if that's OK. As for her Axel Tornado, I'm currently modding SRB2. I can use JTE's method of Custom Powers to have her do this, or, if it's possible, you can make a Timer Soc that switches her ability within two tics. Like, say you jumped as Blaze. Within two tics of the jump, if you press Jump again, you will Thonk (ONLY for Axel Tornado!!! It homes in on enemies!!) If your jump lasts more than two tics, then you will Slow Fall/Double Jump. How many tics it takes is solely up to you. And if SOC limitations prevent this, Just hope people help me for project SRB2HSX. ;) Oh, and one more thing, Try putting flames on her shoes for the running frames to make it look more like Blaze. :) K?

Hope this Progresses! :D

EDIT: She also has whiskers, and try making her look more serious. She has a more Serious additude(sp?) and personality, which is why I never saw a non-fan-made Pic. of her smiling. Much unlike Sonic, who is more loose-ended. ;)

SECOND EDIT: Maybe you don't need the "Thonk" idea, because in SRB2JTE, There is an Amy-Dash. All I need to do is make it that the Amy-Dash is for blaze, and it's her ability within as many tics you want. OK?

No you can't use SRB2JTE charabilities for characters that aren't named after those characters. Amy's ability is not for Blaze, and also makes your character unable to spin properly anyway.

Furthermore, CHARACTER WADS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE EXE DEPENDENT. That screws up the point of making new characters to play as.

You can't change the ability of a character with a SOC, either. Sonic Object Configuration is not a scripting language, as you can tell by its name. So you can't do anything that extreme. Most extreme soc things are either by innovating to do something hardly how you wanted it to be, or abusing a glitch in the game's code.

And it's spelled "Thok". Not Thonk.

Finally. Remember this acronym. KISS. "Keep it simple, SRB2". All we want is a character wad that's fun to play.

I'll Begin said:
You can't soc a timer for any ability, really, unless you wanna break other characters. In fact, if you socced a timer for slowfall, it'll affect jumping too, because SRB2 uses the same states for jumping and hovering.
Crap, there goes that idea. That goes to show just how limited soc scripts are. Maybe I should suggest that a Slow fall timer be added to 1.1?
Hyper Shadic X said:
The Custom Sounds will also work for Custom Sprite Replacements... or something. XD And is it OK If I extract some Sound Effects from Rush and '06?
I was planning on having her own custom jump sound from Sonic Rush, since the normal Jump sound doesn't suit her, and SRB2 does allow custom sounds. If you could rip a good quality jump sound of Blaze from Sonic Rush, I'd like to have it, since I can't rip it properly myself. But I don't want any sounds from '06, that was the worst Sonic game yet and Blaze died in it. (Although I get this gut feeling Sonic Unleashed is going to be even worse.)
Hyper Shadic X said:
And DP, I can make the Sol Emeralds for 'ya. ;)
Don't worry, I've already made and added the Sol emeralds into the WAD, look at the screenshots below. That took me maybe half an hour to do, I lol'd at the first screen shot. :P Although if you can make some better Sol emerald sprites, I'll use those instead. ;)
srb20010-1.png

srb20014.png

srb20016-1.png

Hyper Shadic X said:
Maybe you don't need the "Thok" idea, because in SRB2JTE, There is an Amy-Dash. All I need to do is make it that the Amy-Dash is for blaze, and it's her ability within as many tics you want. OK?
I'm mainly trying to create a working ability in Normal/Vanilla SRB2, and like I'll begin said, character WADs should not be EXE Dependant. Although you could change Blaze's skin name to Amy to make it work, if I read the wiki right, but again, that would screw up spinning.
Updating the WAD this time was too tempting. I changed a good deal of the sprites, added the Sol emeralds and changed her ability to the Hover Burst, etc. (Sonic Rush's version of the Slow Fall) From now on, I'll just add the latest updates in my sig, rather than "I won't update it again until the Beta, oops, maybe not." Yet, I won't spoil too many surprises.
http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=b420c4fd78326cf54a539cbb1e4c0267
I'll Begin said:
Slowfall is fairly balanced as it is anyway. It's not like falling for ages really slowly is terribly useful in SRB2, so it's not an issue. It's just like gliding but it handles differently. I wish I saw more characters using it.
Slow fall is good as it is, and I will use it, but if you play zones where you must advance deeper into a stage rather than advance further up terrain, it would seem like cheating. Load up the first zone of the Emerald Isles 2.3 and don't tell me you couldn't spend 80% of the time in the air. That's why I wanted to make a timer so bad, but that's not gonna happen any time soon. =( But one thing's for sure, if I'm going to edit Espio's spin frames, her Hover burst will look downright ridiculous if I can't find a way to turn on her falling frames while she hovers.
Hyper Shadic X said:
Oh, and one more thing, Try putting flames on her shoes for the running frames to make it look more like Blaze. :) K?
That would look really weird if I added that in the sprites themselves, although I do remember somebody made a WAD of Sonic that makes him poop when he broke into his running frames, :D. Maybe I could spawn a custom Thing that looks like she's giving off flames when she runs?

Dr.Pepper said:
Hyper Shadic X said:
Oh, and one more thing, Try putting flames on her shoes for the running frames to make it look more like Blaze. :) K?
That would look really weird if I added that in the sprites themselves, although I do remember somebody made a WAD of Sonic that makes him poop when he broke into his running frames, :D. Maybe I could spawn a custom Thing that looks like she's giving off flames when she runs?
KISS!! And then every character will poop fire. Trust me, it'll look fine on her running frames, which by the way shouldn't look like Sonic's. Blaze moves differently, consiering she wears high heels, so this should be reflected in her animations.

I'll Begin said:
KISS!! And then every character will poop fire.
I lol'd :D, but you are right.
At this rate, I need to read up on socs before I'm the laughing stock of the whole MB. :P
I'll Begin said:
Trust me, it'll look fine on her running frames, which by the way shouldn't look like Sonic's. Blaze moves differently, consiering she wears high heels, so this should be reflected in her animations.
I know that, but(as usual) I'm having a hard time making her sprites look right. Her feet should whip back and forth like they do in her front and rear frames. Although the rest of the angles shouldn't be cartwheeling and the high heels on her shoes aren't anywhere near visible, I need to work on that. Maybe I should make her feet move like AmyR's does instead?

Goober said:
There are a few differences between the appearance of Blaze in the games, and the appearance of Blaze in this wad, but they're very minor, and besides, this Blaze fits very well into the SRB2 palette for all of its limitations.

She fits well into the appearance aspect of the other characters as well. Are those Sonic's eyes? (I know that it's either his or Tail's feet, and basic body positions, but pic #2 begs me to ask about the eyes :P )

Blaze does look like she has sonic eyes because she is serious most of the time

Dr.Pepper said:
Although I do remember somebody made a WAD of Sonic that makes him poop when he broke into his running frames, :D.

Yeaaaahhhh... no. That was "Afterimages.SOC" (I think), and it was just an exaggeration of him breaking the speed barrear. K? XD And I'll Begin's right, the flame-shoes would actually look normal. But that's up to you. ;)

Dr.Pepper said:

Aww, you beat me. D: Oh, and nice, BTW. :D But maybe we should save those until my idea (or someone elses) is accepted, like maybe we can use free slots for this stuff, or we can use my "S_SKIN" add-on idea. Sound good? And another thing, she spin-jumps in Rush, and her spinning is like a tornado. Espio does this, so If I get premission to use those sprites from the maker of Espio.wad, would that be OK?[/img]

Hyper Shadic X said:
Aww, you beat me. D: Oh, and nice, BTW. :D But maybe we should save those until my idea (or someone elses) is accepted, like maybe we can use free slots for this stuff, or we can use my "S_SKIN" add-on idea. Sound good?
I'm glad you like the Sol Emeralds I made, but it would be impossible to only have them appear for Blaze if I'm understanding what you said, which would look weird in net-games. The Sol emeralds are fine where they are.
I don't think S_SKIN add-ons are possible in 1.09, like I said earlier in this topic, I tried forcing Blaze's goal sign to only work for her, but I kept getting errors before SRB2 even finished loading.
Hyper Shadic X said:
And another thing, she spin-jumps in Rush, and her spinning is like a tornado. Espio does this, so If I get premission to use those sprites from the maker of Espio.wad, would that be OK?
You don't have to repeat yourself Hyper Shadic X, I've already decided on using Espio's spin frames as a base for Blaze's spin frames. Chaos Zero 64 is the guy who made the Espio wad, as long as I give him credit inside the WAD, (and don't make a terrible hack-job out of the sprites) I'm sure he wouldn't mind anyone using a few of his Espio sprites without his explicit permission.
Hyper Shadic X said:
EDIT: She also has whiskers, and try making her look more serious. She has a more Serious additude(sp?) and personality, which is why I never saw a non-fan-made Pic. of her smiling. Much unlike Sonic, who is more loose-ended. ;)
Actually, Blaze doesn't have whiskers. and I'm trying to make her look as serious as I possibly can, but it's not easy for me to do on a 70x70 image, I'm used to having lots of room for detail. Btw, Blaze has actually smiled more than once in all of the DS titles that she's been in, go play MaSatBO or Sonic Rush Adventure and you'll see what I mean.

I've released the last Alpha. All other additions to the WAD can wait until the Beta. I won't update it again until I finish the Beta. I know all of the constant updating is getting annoying by now, so enough of this madness.
The new major changes include:
-Better shading, gray wasn't working, so I went with darker shades of blue, as Nitro suggested
-Her jacket and tail are finally green, so she can change colors in net games
-A vast amount of the sprites have undergone at least some form of change, some of the horrible looking ones were fixed but I'm still trying to fix the rest.
-If you open the WAD, you'll see a few of her super form frames I've been working on.
-Her speed is set so that she is only slightly slower than Sonic.
-Her jump height has increased only slightly
http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=188538602dca2f886d0a8db94a914a0e

EDIT:

The Beta release will include the following.
-A working super-form
-Graphics far superior the last Alpha
-The final and decided ability Blaze will have
-Better balanced S_SKIN values so Blaze's handling will be unique from Sonic's
-A better shaded Character Selection Pic
-Her spin frames and custom spin trail will be finished
-Hopefully, custom jump and spin sounds from Sonic rush.
I think that's it.

Dr.Pepper said:
At this rate, I need to read up on socs before I'm the laughing stock of the whole MB. :P
For you to be the laughing stock of the whole MB you'd have to out-do roboeggs fail.

I've made a new character selection pic for Blaze. She hasn't got the shading in the pic like in the latest alpha as I've made it before I even knew of it, but you can improve on it if you like to as long as credit is given to me.

blzecharrg2.png

So don't hurt the pwetty pwincess so she won't burn you. :3

Also, you could make the Sol Emerald thing to be in a seperate add-on WAD. I've also noticed that the back-diagonal spring up frame looks too much like a bubble-breathe frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back