Is modding really hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GastlyGibus™

Grade A idiot
Hello, i don't know if this is the best place to ask this but... is modding (i mean doom modding since srb2 uses a doom engine?) hard? I just got a decent computer recently, one that is pretty cool and good and since i joined the forums and the discord server i thought to my self "maybe i should ask about this since a lot of people seem to know about codding and other things ralated" and i know nearlly nothing about it the only knowlege i have is a small gasp on how the basics of codding works and 2 notebooks i used to take notes on my informatic course on my school. Or is there already a tutorial on the forums? Not just modding creating things in general.

And if you guys don't wan't to explain everything to me just give something to search, right now i have a lot of free time and nothing else to do other then stay at home all day and play video games sometimes.

Last edited:
No it's not hard. I am making levels for myself (I wish I can share them(I can't because I can't create new thread on releases page T_T)). And I learned everything myself...

Edit : If you are doing something amazing it can take time...

Last edited:
Basically what UghlyKnux said, modding's not hard per se, and the editing section of the SRB2 Wiki has helpful pointers for modding in general.

No it's not hard. I am making levels for myself (I wish I can share them(I can't because I can't create new thread on releases page T_T)). And I learned everything myself...

You can share your maps, you just have to post them in submissions first, after a judge goes through your level and helps you correct any major glaring issues, then it will be released.

Back on topic though, making content for this game is super easy when compared to things like romhacking or making 3D environments for other engines, fanmade or otherwise.

We have a level editor that, while it doesn't always make the most sense, is actually really easy to use once you get the basic ideas of the do's and don'ts of Doom mapping, as well as how line tags and basic geometry work(or you could just fiddle with things until you get them to do what you want).

You don't have to modify the source code to produce many major mods anymore thanks to lua scripting which is amazing because it means you can fiddle with your code, save it, and play around with it and tweak it almost instantly without having any knowledge of compiling source code or anything like that.

Spriting and character wad making is practically as easy as drawing sprites and throwing them into a file with a guide for the game to follow as to what stats and things a character should have, as well as putting the frames in proper order.

With all the content that's out for this game already it's actually really easy to learn by example on how to make things for this game since everything is so easily modifiable.

I reccomend downloading SLADE and checking out Zone Builder right here on the forums and taking a peek inside some of the community made files as well as referencing the SRB2 Wiki if any of these types of modding interest you in any capacity.

I have not made a level before, I am going to download Zone Builder later. Just wondering but is coding involved as I don't know anything about that.

Strictly speaking no, there's no coding knowledge required to make a basic (or even long and complex) level.

Lua/SOC scripts can be used for things such as custom enemies or other custom gimmicks but they're completely optional as the things you can do without them are already many and diverse.
Once again, the Wiki has plenty of tutorials and example files that cover really anything technical related to level making.

This is a good place to start, especially the first three links. Don't worry if there are many others, most of what makes up a level is covered in the rather simple three initial tutorials.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back