Soundtrack download [Last updated on March 25th 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically, O_MAP24M is an original or at the very least not taken from another game composition/arrangement (or whatever the correct term would be)?

https://www.srb2.org/history_data/soundtrack/11-RobotnirockZone.mp3

Makes more sense when you know what the original music for everything sounded like. Current ERZ1 and ERZ2 music is based on what was the original version of the Act 2 theme linked here, and Act 1's is only present in tunes 87 (which I personally find to be ruined by the overdone guitar, probably explains why it isn't used).

;~; I am so lost right now!... I think it's only because of one tiny thing: "the original version of the Act 2 theme linked here". By "linked here", I assume the .mp3 you just posted... But that IS tunes 87, which you just after refer to as the "Act 1" theme!

;~; I am so lost right now!... I think it's only because of one tiny thing: "the original version of the Act 2 theme linked here". By "linked here", I assume the .mp3 you just posted... But that IS tunes 87, which you just after refer to as the "Act 1" theme!
Dude, it's not exactly rocket science. The current ERZ2 acts both use the original theme for Act 2, this is the one that starts with the dramatic piano in the MIDI. The original theme for Act 1, which starts with the doodoodoo stuff, is currently unused but present in the game as that one loud remix with the overdriven guitar.

In the link he gave you, the Act 2 part of the song(which the current Egg Rock is based on) starts at 3:23. Anything before that is Act 1.

I just noticed recently that out of our seven main zones so far, only one of the themes is running on a Major chord.

I can't help but find this rather obnoxious.

Egg Rock Core Zone - Jarel Jones , Remastered by A.J. Freda
Sonic Team Jr Presents - InstantSonic
Character Select - Jarel Jones, Remastered by A.J. Freda
Credits - 'Sonic & Knuckles Theme' by Howard Drossin
Misc Multiplayer Music 1 - Meadow Match
Misc Multiplayer Music 5 - 'Zero Ring Zone' by Jarel Jones remastered by A.J. Freda
Misc Multiplayer Music 7 - Mine Maze Zone 1
Mystic Realm Boss - Malcom Brown, Remastered by A.J. Freda
Dark City Zone Act 1 - Composed by A.J. Freda, Rearranged by Jarel Jones, Remastered by A.J. Freda
Spring Hill Zone - All nightopians on 'Normal' mood
Mario Koopa Blast Zone 3 - Jarel Jones, remastered by A.J. Freda
Knothole Base Zone - Recorded on an authentic Yamaha OPL3 FM chip. YEAH!
Old Arid Canyon Zone Act 1 - Rocky Mountain Zone Act 1
67 - Early Arid Canyon Zone Act 2 (1) : THIS IS ACT 1
72 - Egg Rock Zone Act 2 Beta : This is act 1, IIRC... see the old OST. Thrown in 2.x for kicks
75 - Old Special Stage : Jarel Jones, Remastered by A.J. Freda
76 - Old Space Countdown Music : Bioware's MDK2
78 - Unknown Track #2 : Verdant Forest Beta, Jarel Jones, remastered by A.J. Freda
79 - Unknown Track #3 : Evil Flower Zone
80 - Bonus - 2.0.X Credits : David Bulmer, Arranged & Remastered by A.J. Freda. Live piano by Spazzo
81 - Bonus - 1.09.4 Credits : David Bulmer, Arranged & Remastered by A.J. Freda
82 - Bonus - Icy Tundra : Midnight Freeze Version 1. Jarel Jones, Remastered by A.J. Freda

I do not know what Unknown Track #1 is, that's after my time. Sounds very unlike anything else.

Last edited:
I just noticed recently that out of our seven main zones so far, only one of the themes is running on a Major chord.

I can't help but find this rather obnoxious.

Why? I don't really see how any stage besides Greenflower could have a theme in a major chord.

And even Greenflower's second part is in minor too. Maybe this explains why all of SRB2's stage music is so fucking depressing after a while. At least a few of the mystic realm songs and that old kickass aerial garden theme manage to sound happy!

All right, almost everything is done! I'm only missing the authors who remastered some songs, like Pipe Towers, and the title for Unknown Track #1, O_MAP24M.

Dude, it's not exactly rocket science. The current ERZ2 acts both use the original theme for Act 2, this is the one that starts with the dramatic piano in the MIDI. The original theme for Act 1, which starts with the doodoodoo stuff, is currently unused but present in the game as that one loud remix with the overdriven guitar.

It's just that with so many songs and versions, and incorrect titles, and original MIDIs, and remastered versions and this and that... it starts getting confusing working with all of it. I was having a hard time understanding because of the entire mess of songs, not just the ERZ ones in particular. Plus it didn't help that I didn't listen to the whole MP3 Monster Iestyn linked to... ugh, my bad. Also, you said "current ERZ2 acts", which only helped me become more confused.
But I got it now, and yes, it was obvious.

Anyway, SSN, thank you so much for all of that info!

I've updated the zip file, with all of the much-needed changes. Can I get some quick feedback to check if everything is fine?

Very nice work Espyo! Thank you for what you have done here!

Does Multiplayer 2 have a name? That is my favorite of all the SRB2 music. I was also looking for Thunder Citadel, but that is the same as Castle Eggman Act 2, correct?

Also, I was just wondering, are 320kbps rips possible?

Thanks!

Thanks. I'll wait until some dev gives the names of the multiplayer tracks. But until then, the tracks have the names of the in-game files. And Thunder Citadel is just CEZ2, yeah.

The original OGG files are at 64kbps (besides one or two direct rips from songs of other games), so having the mp3s at 320kbps wouldn't bring any additional quality, and would only increase the file size (...right?) Come to think of it, I think I can decrease the file size of the mp3 compilation even further by setting the bitrate to 64, as it's currently at 128.
...Next update I'll do it.

Thanks. I'll wait until some dev gives the names of the multiplayer tracks. But until then, the tracks have the names of the in-game files. And Thunder Citadel is just CEZ2, yeah.

The original OGG files are at 64kbps (besides one or two direct rips from songs of other games), so having the mp3s at 320kbps wouldn't bring any additional quality, and would only increase the file size (...right?) Come to think of it, I think I can decrease the file size of the mp3 compilation even further by setting the bitrate to 64, as it's currently at 128.
...Next update I'll do it.

All of these tunes come from MIDIs, don't they? MIDIs can be exported in any quality. I don't mean to sound negative, but 64kbps would be horrid compared to CD-quality 320kbps...

All of these tunes come from MIDIs, don't they? MIDIs can be exported in any quality. I don't mean to sound negative, but 64kbps would be horrid compared to CD-quality 320kbps...
Errrr... kinda... The original files are OGGs, and to export from a MIDI requires a soundfont. I don't have the soundfont used by STJR. Not to mention they must've used some further touches after exporting to OGG from MIDI.

I underestimated the speed at which the wiki updates. Good job, people! I'll use some info here to update the compilation again.

All right, almost everything is done! I'm only missing the authors who remastered some songs, like Pipe Towers, and the title for Unknown Track #1, O_MAP24M.

Oh, heh. I 'remastered' Pipe Towers. But it's just some MIDI I found on VGMusic.com

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say Unknown Track #1 is just a placeholder tune for Grand Eggship Zone, that they put in the release to mess with people's heads. I doubt InstantSonic made it, doesn't quite sound like his style, especially with the voice sampling.

Errrr... kinda... The original files are OGGs, and to export from a MIDI requires a soundfont. I don't have the soundfont used by STJR. Not to mention they must've used some further touches after exporting to OGG from MIDI.

While there are exceptions, most of it used Korg X5DR and Yamaha SW60XG synthesizers. I actually still have a lot of tracks in uncompressed WAV, as well as the hardware to re-render them.

Why? I don't really see how any stage besides Greenflower could have a theme in a major chord.

As a musician, I don't find it difficult at all. I already have a major version of Deep Sea Zone mapped out in my head.

It bothers me because it's just constant moody all of the time. The old Sonic games had a roughly 40:60 split between major and minor themes, which kept it regularly uplifting; the idea that we can't manage a 30:70 ratio is silly.

As a musician, I don't find it difficult at all. I already have a major version of Deep Sea Zone mapped out in my head.

It bothers me because it's just constant moody all of the time. The old Sonic games had a roughly 40:60 split between major and minor themes, which kept it regularly uplifting; the idea that we can't manage a 30:70 ratio is silly.
As a musician, why is it necessary to keep a ratio of major to minor? Your ratio may be accurate to Sonic 1 & 2, but it doesn't match Sonic 3 or Sonic CD's Japanese/European soundtrack.

Sonic 3 had an entire 4 zone themes that could be described as major: Angel Island, Marble Garden, Carnival Night, and Sky Sanctuary. The rest of the themes are either in minor key, a minor-esque church mode like the Dorian mode, or bouncing back and forth between minor and major sounds (Mushroom Hill comes to mind). Not even half of the rest of the soundtrack sounds "moody"—Hydro City and Launch Base in particular are very upbeat and driving while still being in minor keys.

With Sonic CD, if you toss out the past and future mixes, the Japanese/European soundtrack has Palmtree Panic and Quartz Quadrant in major keys and the rest in minor. Again, Collision Chaos and Stardust Speedway are minor in scale, but they're still upbeat.

Sonic Robo Blast 2's soundtrack may be heavily minor, but I really don't think that's something necessary to pick at when the only tunes that don't feel upbeat are Techno Hill, Deep Sea (which has a passage at the end that feels uplifting), and Castle Eggman. The soundtrack fits the levels and the game in general, and I don't ever see it changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back