Mario Kart Wii Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatian

KartKrew™
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Well, I have seen recent arguments that the new Mario Kart items are really overpowered these days. And the ones that aren't overpowered, don't seem to help you when your far behind. So, What do you guys thing about the new and changed items?

I personaly think that Bullet Bill, and the Mega Mushroom are unessasary, as they outdo the Power Star, which was sopposed to be the best item in the game when your far behind. I also think that the Spiny Shell needs to be reverted back to its old N64 self, and not fly, but move across the ground. It also shouldn't be dodgable, that just ruins the whole item. Another item that I think should return to its classic ways is the Lighting Bolt. The Lighting Bolt on the N64 would shrink everyone for the same amount of time, the new one, however, will only shrink 1st place for the full effect, which makes the weapon underpowered to me. It can't help you catch up if the person infront of you is only shrunk for a second or two.

Discuss

Go into your offline multiplayer mode, and at the screen where you choose whether to do team matches or free-for-alls, go to the bubble at the top of the screen, which will take you to the options. You'll notice there's four item settings: Aggressive, Balanced, Strategic, and None. On default, it's set at Balanced.

Try each of these options. You'll be surprised to see that each one of the three other options were more enjoyable than Balanced... even Aggressive! Basically, Aggressive and Strategic have roulettes that are essentially a fairly smaller scale of items, so the last players aren't overpowered compared to everyone else, and the first players aren't underpowered compared to anyone else. But Balanced is a funky and poorly set up handicap. Ironically, it's the least balanced mode there is.

One could argue that items themselves are also part of the problem, but that isn't the real issue with Mario Kart Wii; it's the roulette.

So explain the Rullette, I never noticed that since I never really payed attention to the options. But there are items that seem do need reworking.

I'll agree that some items really aren't cool, particularly the POW and the lightning bolt, now that it gets rid of your items too. They're minor/nonexistent problems if you go into another item setting, however.

Also, do you mean all the item setting's roulettes? Or just one? Well, I'll explain them anyway, so the rest of the audience knows.

As you probably know in the default item setting, if you're in first place, all you're going to get is a bunch of bananas and green shells, but people throughout fifth and twelfth are going to get some ridiculous items. The imbalancedness throughout the course makes the game essentially a wildcard, unless you just suck.

None has no items, as would be expected. So, you don't even have to worry about getting blown up with no warning; just keep driving, and don't screw up. Better than Balanced, I'm sure most will agree.

Strategic has weak items, which you'll have to use strategically, hence the name. First placers will get bananas and green shells; no triples. Those in lower places will get red shells and such, while the lowest of places will get triple items and golden mushrooms. Essentially, the most basic of items are shown on the course. Better than Balanced.

Aggressive has powerful items, so it's basically a go-nuts fest. This is actually also, once again, better than Balanced. The first placer is NOT totally defenseless against stronger items; he won't get overpowered ones, but he will get triple bananas / green shells and the likes. Those in lower places vary, but basically, everyone's going to have a hell of a lot of mega mushrooms, a hell of a lot of stars, a hell of a lot of other zany crap, and, if the player has a sense of humor, a hell of a lot more fun than Balanced mode.

I'm talking about the one that has always been used, Balanced. Which, back in the day, was balanced, untill they changed things.

Chrome said:
I'm talking about the one that has always been used, Balanced. Which, back in the day, was balanced, untill they changed things.

Back in the day, it was similar, but its differences made it more effective then. There are a lot more powerful items in Mario Kart Wii, and they're a lot more frequent than they should be; paired with the fact that there are more players in MKWii to grab these items, the rounds essentially depend on who gets the most abusive items near the end of the match.

Thats my point, I think that some of the new items need to be removed completely, and some of the old ones need to be revamped to work like they did back in the N64 days.

The Remote control lightning bolt I think is a unique powerup because you have to pass it to other players *kind of like pass the parcel* but whoever has it when it shoots lightning gets the shock. I think the bullet bill is a bit overpowered, and the POW block isn't really that useful. Pretty much like the earth version of the lighting bolt.

Hyperknux said:
The Remote control lightning bolt I think is a unique powerup because you have to pass it to other players *kind of like pass the parcel* but whoever has it when it shoots lightning gets the shock.

This, I wouldn't have a problem with, once again if it weren't for how common it is. On multiple occasions, I got the thunder cloud three times in a row and was unable to tag anybody any of those times, causing me to fall behind immensely. It's an example of a potentially good item made horrible by the roulette.

Actually, I think the Star is just about as good as the Bullet Bill, Mega Mushroom, and Golden mushroom. It boosts your speed, allows you to send other karts flying, and enables you to cut across the grass with no loss of speed. In theory, it shouldn't be as good as something like the Bullet Bill, but it usually ends up helping me out just as much.

What hangs me up is actually the difficulty of unlocking all the characters. They've simply made it too hard.

The character you drive as doesn't affect much. It alters the stats of your driving capabilities a bit, but if you always use the same bike, it doesn't matter what character you pick; you're essentially getting the same thing.

I think I have all the characters. Woohoo.

Blue Warrior said:
The character you drive as doesn't affect much. It alters the stats of your driving capabilities a bit, but if you always use the same bike, it doesn't matter what character you pick; you're essentially getting the same thing.

Except for the weight.

Anyway, it's just a matter of wanting to unlock stuff.

fawfulfan said:
Blue Warrior said:

Except for the weight.

Anyway, it's just a matter of wanting to unlock stuff.
Yeah. Characters from the same weight class are pretty much the same, but the classes themselves are much different:
Light/Small: Quickest acceleration, best with mini-boosting, and excellent off-road traction, but usually has low top speed.
Medium/Mid: Average acceleration, average top speed, average mini-boost, and average off-road traction. In other words, the Mario Section.*
Heavy/Large: Poor acceleration, bad mini-boost capability, and horrible off-road traction, but usually they have good top speed.

I know I generalized it, but I can't remember the vehicles off the top of my head.
*Mario is usually the basis for average characteristics. This also applied to the previous Mario Kart games, but still holds purpose for this game.

EDIT: Changed features, due to what Chrome said.

You mixed up the small and large classes, the large are fastest, but are horrible off-road. The small is slowest, but has great mini-boosts and barely slows down when going off-road.

The Thunder Cloud is alright, but if you get it in first, theres nothing you can do to give it up. Fawfulfan, the Star is not as good as the Bullet Bill, as the Bullet Bill goes faster, hits people on the way, and you don't even have to control it, I find it very overpowered.

Chrome said:
You mixed up the small and large classes, the large are fastest, but are horrible off-road. The small is slowest, but has great mini-boosts and barely slows down when going off-road.

He didn't mix it up. That's exactly what he said.

Now, for what I think, the items themselves somewhat balance each other out, but the FREQUENCY of the items is another story. In Double Dash, Super Shells (the blue one) appear infrequently, usually once every other race. In the newest one, I'd be lucky to not see ONE Super Shell in a race! Seriously, it's like two to three of these in a single race! If that's not an unfair advantage, I don't know what is!

Zion Crayson said:
Super Shells

SPINY shells.

Also, it's not an unfair advantage--it just makes the level more chaotic. If people in first are getting pounded more often, they fall back, allowing them to attack the new leaders. In short, it's just extra competitive.

Plus, Spiny shells may be more common than in MKDD, but they aren't any more common in MKWii than they were in MKDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back