Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just making the pile a bit bigger...

In some areas of Fume Shaft, something completely rapes my framerate, might want to fix that.

I already know the areas that do that:

1. The first area with the floating barrels.
2. The area with the fans and spikes over slime.
3. The area with vent pipes and rising acid.

I'm going to be experimenting in future versions with deleting some stuff from those places to lessen the lag.

You used separate control sectors for specials with the same properties. Combining them should improve the framerate considerably.

EDIT: Already half done with the match maps, I see. Did you make sure they play well?

You used separate control sectors for specials with the same properties.

Not that I'm aware of. Give me an example.

Already half done with the match maps, I see. Did you make sure they play well?

That's always a tricky part for me. I can't be sure unless I've played them in a netgame, and I simply can't set up my own netgame due to my necessary port not being open and my Dad forbidding me to open any ports on my computer (because of admittedly sound logic, but never mind).

But I did use the Level Design 101 tutorial as a guide for what to do and not do in my levels. They will probably require a lot of fine-tuning once I find out how they play in a multiplayer game, but I'm generally pleased with them at the moment.

Do you mean in FSZ1? I think most of those are different heights. But that doesn't account for much lag...what accounts for the lag in that area are the 100 or so circular barrels clustered together.

Space Walk Zone.
What can I say that has not already been said? Oh ya... WHY DID EGGMAN LEAVE ALL HIS SPACE JUNK IN ONE SPOT, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY COM-SATS, WHY ARE YOUE GOING THRUGH AN ASTROID MINING STATION, WHY ARE ALL THE AIR LOCKS GONE, WHY ARE YOU BREATHING IN SPACE, WHY ARE THE MOVING PLATFORMS IN WHAT SHOLD BE 0-G, WHAT IS WITH THE SKY SHOWING THAT YOU ARE STILL IN ORBIT, AND WHY DOES THE SPACE JUNK FORM A BRIDGE BETWEEN TWO INTERSTELLER VESLES?
That seems to cover it.

Keep an eye out for SRB2TP V2.0!

Uhm, yeah. Also, it's scmrt and not scrmt, AFAIK. Anyway, Match maps don't interest me that much due to bad connection and skills, but I'm eagerly awaiting V3.0.

Well, I played the match levels in a netgame today.

AND THEY ALL SUCK HORRIBLY
I mean, these stages seem really rushed, and most of them just have bad designs to begin with.
I'll just list all the problems with all the levels:

Coast Clash Zone
-It suffers from overly huge HOMs on the outer parts of the arena.
-The outside is bland as hell, in every aspect.
-The inside is cramped, but it also has 75% of all the important items.
-It looks ugly, GFZROCK is severly overused.
-It's too large.

Molten Massacre Zone
-Why did you make the lava liquid? If you would've done that, the whole level would've been better.
-It has only one path, add a few sub-paths.
-It was really hard to find items, for me at least.
-The item balance was off, the upper parts have too many items.

Flooded Fray Zone
-The gimmick is blatantly stolen from TPZ, but it's even worse here because it's so sloooooooooooooow...
-It looks ugly as shit, because the DCZ textures suck, and you used them really bad.
-There's a missing texture on a large, noticable wall.
-Again, it was really hard to find items, and it was hard to get to the top as Sonic, due to the floating crates being so
sloooooooooooooow...

Slippery Skirmish Zone
-A central room with 6 dead ends is really bad design.
-And it doesn't help that the central room is bad to begin with.
-The entire level looks surprisingly ugly, because of the lack of texture variation.
-I couldn't find ANY shields.
-
The item placement is (again) not good.

Baked Brawl Zone
-
The layout is way too maze-like.
-The textures clash, and the outside area looks horrible.
-Speaking of the outside area, it has two panels right next to each other. In fact, the whole item placement is quite bad.

Toxic Turmoil Zone
-It's way too flat.
-It looks like putrid, and one room literally looks like crap.
-The weapon placement is horrible, and there are WRMs too close to each other.

Rocket Rampage Zone
-...You've got to be kidding me. This is the worst match design ever made. The 8 floors idea is ridiculously bad in reality, and the black wall teleports make it even more complicated.
-It looks bland.
-The items are not very well spread, and the Grenade Panel is only obtainable with the help of another player.

Weightless Whaling Zone
-Just like Spacewalk Zone, this zone looks hideous.
-The low gravity is annoying, and it's hard to figure out that the red springs flip you in gravity, due to there being absolutely no clue to let you notice that it's happening.
-Again, the items are not well spread.

Apocalypse Abuse Zone
-
The black cliff walls blend with the black cliff floors. The overall level also looks ugly.
-Damaging quicksand?
-There is a lack of vertical variation, aside from the occasional red spring.
-And yet again, the items are not well spread.

What The Heck Zone
-lol joke level
-It actually plays better than the other levels.
-The items are actually well spreaded.
-But it's still horrible, due to the design and visuals.

My suggestion: just focus on the SP levels. Most of these Match levels are worse than Misty Mesa, and they even replace the (infinitely better) offical stages! I mean, there are enough free map slots, right?

the Grenade Panel is only obtainable with the help of another player.
That was actually an attempt to cleverly make it much harder to get this ludicrously overpowered weapon, as well as increase the odds that players will pay for their lust for Grenade Rings (because it would be possible for a player to lure a player down there and then trap them.) However, I also ensured they wouldn't be trapped forever, because that elevator is vital, and it wouldn't be long before another player needed to use it.

xsrb0311.png

[06:22] <@Inuyasha> ffs, the framerate is so bad I can't get a screenshot that includes the entire HUD

5/35 FPS is absolutely unplayable. Especially when you're trying to navigate jumps like those in FSZ2.

Whoa...I didn't realize it was THAT bad.

Well, I'm going to lower the framerate in that area no matter what that might entail.

Oh, and in case you want one, here's a status report on V3.0:

I've updated the textures in Coast Clash Zone, and I've also made significant modifications to SAZ1. In the new version, expect SAZ1 to have more alternate paths (that's right, even SAZ is getting new alternate paths!), less confusing layout, slightly more creative secrets, better texturing, and more sector-based scenery. In fact, let me post you a screenshot of a sector-based palm tree which will be a common sight in SAZ from now on:

1255ez4.jpg

You might think it rapes the framerate, but it actually doesn't, as long as it's placed appropriately.

Last edited:
If I was aware of your location, Fawfulfan, I would want to do something illegal. As for you little revenge on co op, Fawfulfan, you make me want to get revenge on you in how I plan to make content.
I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. Am I to interpret this as a threat on my personal wellbeing?

If I was aware of your location, Fawfulfan, I would want to do something illegal. As for you little revenge on co op, Fawfulfan, you make me want to get revenge on you in how I plan to make content.

You should learn to respect other people's opinions. Plus, this post makes no sense at all, which makes you look even more like a troll.

Anyways, I like how the new SAZ looks so far, and it's good to see that the changes will not only be on the visual department. However, I think that you should tone down the shadow under the palm tree.

Good idea. I'll do that.

Bear in mind that not all areas of the level are being changed to JNGWL14...a couple of areas are still going to have GFZROCK or GFZVINES. But the mixture is going to be handled carefully...it won't look like a mess.

Last edited:
I don't play the multiplayer in SRB2 much, so I havent tried your maps, but the single player campaign maps are fun. Challenging though.

I can't get past Fume Shaft 2 though. The combination of the lag and just the level difficulty is... tough.

I beat fume shaft before this became a mod. Now that there's a save file and I can't skip to a further level, I can't seem to beat it again...

But the mixture is not going to be handled carefully...it won't look like a mess.
That has to be a typo. Whatever, it's a good thing to variate the textures, so I'm looking forward to that.

I beat fume shaft before this became a mod. Now that there's a save file and I can't skip to a further level, I can't seem to beat it again...
If you just can't beat it, type "devmode" into the console and then use "map mapXX" to warp to whatever map you want to. I also haven't beat FSZ2 normally yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back