Sega Expects Sonic's Quality to improve over time

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175368

Sega has tried everything to fix Sonic the Hedgehog, from making him a werewolf to handing him a massive claymore. But the publisher admits that quality remains an ongoing issue for games starring their mascot.

"The quality is something that will be fixed over time. It's not something where you wake up one morning and say, 'You know what, we're going to improve our quality on this franchise,' and it magically happens. A lot of hard work goes into striving for quality," Sega of America vice president of marketing Sean Ratcliffe told IndustryGamers.

"Interestingly, I think Sonic Unleashed was very well received by the kids. There was some talk about the werehog aspect, the slower pacing and more combat-oriented gameplay, but when we go out and test this stuff and sit down with the consumers, kids actually like that."

He added, "I think older, die-hard Sega fans who grew up with the franchise and the first Sonic the Hedgehog associate Sonic more with 2-D side-scrolling super fast, and they liked the daytime gameplay, but when it came to the slower paced gameplay they were fairly critical of that, and that's fine -- they have their opinions."

Ratcliffe said that Sega is "constantly trying to improve the quality," noting that there was talk about "several Sega properties and how we can best make sure we're constantly pushing that quality bar on Sonic."

"Yes, it's always a challenge to raise that quality bar, but our competitors are trying to put the best product out there and we're no different. Given that it takes a couple of years to make some of these games, it's not surprising that we're not going to see the effort that's being put in over the past 12 months until another 6-12 months."

Asked whether Sega had considered returning to a more traditional side-scrolling perspective for Sonic -- especially with Nintendo working on New Super Mario Bros. Wii -- Ratcliffe said that Sega is "always looking at [their] classic IP, be it Sonic or anything else."

"On iPhone, for example, we launched the original Sonic and consumers loved that. ... So we no longer have to think in terms of consoles and packaged goods and we can look at digital downloads. From a mobile and iPhone point of view, we've been very successful with Sonic," he said.

"So we can look at XBLA and so on, and it means we can give those core fans experiences in different ways now. So that's a big part of our strategy, in terms of taking classic IP and making it available digitally, rather than spending a huge amount of money trying to re-imagine that IP on 360 and PS3; there's a lot more financial risk attached to that."

An all-new Sonic platformer on Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network or WiiWare? If that's indeed part of Sega's broader strategy, then count us as very interested.

Wait for it....discuss

This is something I've believed for quite some time to be common sense. Whether or not people like Sonic Unleashed, the fact that they made an effort to polish it and that its faults were not bugs due to lack of polish but quirks with the gameplay, is, in my mind, the first step to making a good name for the franchise once again. However, those expecting Sonic Unleashed to be a universal success that put Sonic back on top were understandably disappointed, because Sonic Team needs to gauge what is working and what isn't and try to make the next product better.

I'm not too familiar with the histories of video game franchises, but I don't recall a franchise ever being brought back on top by a single successful game. You might say Megaman 9 could count, but the Megaman franchise seems to me to be more bloated than it is broken.

While I appreciate hearing from Sonic Team (probably one of the few in the Sonic community that still respects them), I don't think this is exactly news-worthy. What it does tell me is that they know what they are doing... something that I'd hoped since they accurately predicted the controversial reception to Sonic Unleashed months before release.

They are also talking about branching out into the realm of digital downloads and THAT is news-worthy. They've been branching out, which is something I support so long as it doesn't get in the way of the core games, I think it would be a great idea to branch out into a 2d digital download... I assume it would still play more like Sonic Rush than the classics, but sounds promising.
Then again, like all fans, I can only look at the games, not the development or cost each requires... so I can't say whether they should or shouldn't, but I'm liking the idea.

Luminous said:
D00D64 said:
New 2D game plz.
2D doesn't automatically make Sonic perfect. Quit acting like it does.
Yeah what we really need is a game that isn't like sonic 06 with iots crappy story and slow gameplay; The werehog moves way faster than that.

Tell me when SEGA makes a game that makes use of the classic formula. Boom, instant quality, problem solved.

It doesn't matter what dimension the game is. It's how the game handles level design, challenge, speed, and how they intertwine. The momentum physics in the classic games worked, for this reason. I want another Sonic 2, not another Sonic Rush.

Blue Warrior said:
Tell me when SEGA makes a game that makes use of the classic formula. Boom, instant quality, problem solved.
Sonic Heroes? But too bad the real problem is in the obsessively picky fandom itself. There's no way SEGA can learn from "I hate this game it isn't sonic adventure" or "good game happens when character X is in it".

a bee said:
Sonic Heroes?

It's been too long ago since I rented Sonic Heroes, but I don't think I would call it classic. I'm primarily referring to momentum-based physics and multilayered level design a la Sonic 2, Sonic CD, and Sonic 3&K.

Actually, click this link. I think he explains this pretty well.

^Give us a TL;DR summary. Not some boring wall of text.

Anyways, this was said after the release of Next gen. They said "Sonic is going to have way better quality in future games" Now there saying this again....? O_o

So basically, they're saying they'll continue doing whatever and just put the old games out for download?

I've already played those games to death, give me something new to enjoy.

Blue Warrior said:
a bee said:
Sonic Heroes?

It's been too long ago since I rented Sonic Heroes, but I don't think I would call it classic. I'm primarily referring to momentum-based physics and multilayered level design a la Sonic 2, Sonic CD, and Sonic 3&K.

I like tha link you put up. That guy is right we don't need sonic to move faster but, instead make it seem like a game. Though, I'm still not sure if tails knuckles and sonic are the same speed. Also fanboys ( and fangirls, especially fangirls) will buy anything with sonic on it or something of his equivlent. Look at sonic 06 it was the first sonic game I've every sold (and that means something judging how I kept most of the other ones, excluding sonic riders that I sold aswell), if you told a fanboy that game sucks, they'll get angry and start saying things like you're no sonic fan, and crap. So if sega wants to improve sonic's qualty make him go back to his roots (that doesn't mean go back to 2D, that means make you feel like you're in the game). They can add as many gimmicks as they like aslong as they keep what made him so special in the first place.

Supersonic2p3 said:
Though, I'm still not sure if tails knuckles and sonic are the same speed.

He's partially incorrect about that. In Sonic3&K, Tails is the same speed as Sonic so as to keep up with him, but IIRC Tails and Knuckles are both a tad slower otherwise.

Blue Warrior said:

I don't necessarily agree with everything that guy says. Only the fans who like the Genesis games are worth listening to? Uh, no. Just because I happen to like SA1 and nothing else 3D does not automatically make my opinion void. Heck, looking closer at SA1, it was obvious that they had tried to make classic Sonic in 3D with that title. It had the multiple paths, segments where you could run on the walls and ceilings without automation, a larger focus on Eggman being the main villain, and characters playing the same levels as Sonic (albeit changed to suit their gameplay better).

Also, one cannot deny that they had at least tried to build upon what SA1 had made. SA2 has better versions of Sonic's moves, but SA1 has the better level design. Anything after that, when they started to make brand new engines with nearly every game? That is when Sega truly lost it. It's true that automated segments were started in SA1, but it still tried to be a platformer too.

The link BW shared with us is really to change our views of what sonic is and how his world should be.

In this case, fans are the other half of the mess SEGA is in, and this is obvious. SEGA needs to listen to experienced gamers who know how a true sonic game should work to get some freaken balance in there. Also focusing on kids (like 5-10) than sonic is the reason we're getting these games now with him like super man (him being a hero now).

Like I keep reapeating, they need to stop impressing people and put full focus on their game's attributes, especially Sonic's.

You guys do realize that Sonic has always targeted children under the age of 12, and that most of the Classic fans are in their late teens and early adulthood?

ZeldaGamer00 said:
You guys do realize that Sonic has always targeted children under the age of 12, and that most of the Classic fans are in their late teens and early adulthood?

Yes, but at least older (as in back in Sonic's first apperance) players enjoyed playing the game even if it was directed towards a younger audience. Gameplay counts. But sadly in business sence, Kids interest=money. But thats no longer the point. Now I didn't say that they need to make sonic for a mature audience, im saying that they need to focus on what everyone really wants out of Sonic.

We don't need complex storylines or gods that need to be tamed. We REALLY don't need new characters or overuse of Super form or the chaos emeralds (or any other emerald related mass of power). It needs to be straight forward and to the point like the other games that followed.

Luminous said:
D00D64 said:
New 2D game plz.
2D doesn't automatically make Sonic perfect. Quit acting like it does.
Ah, let me clarify a bit then:

New Age Retro 2D game plz.

A game like Sonic can't really be done in 3D anymore.

Keyword: ANYMORE. I mean, SRB2 was based off DOOM, and that's SUPER old by now. Who'd look at Doom now and say "Hey, with a bunch of modifications, this would make a GREAT Sonic game!"? Other than some Fangame developers, nobody. They'll try too hard, and push for the most top-of-the-line equipment, focusing just on speed. Yes, Sonic IS fast, but he needs to be less like Modern Sonic and more like...

...Like...

...Well, Mario. With SOME speed. Pretty much what Sonic always was, basically; Mario with speed and different physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back