Official Level Design Contest Voting: March-April 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you submit it via a file-sharing website, like Rapidshare? If so, then the download link might have died. Mystic only downloads the stages at the end, so if the link isn't valid then, then your map isn't in.

If you DIDN'T submit it via such a website, who knows.

Glaber, since you so clearly don't get it, lemme explain why your map fails _SO_ hard.

Okay, first, Circuit is time-only. Always. Hence, the enemies are only obstructions. Second, the enemy AI works in a very simplistic way (the same reason Chaos mode sucks), and targets the first person it sees, and attacks them until they die. Okay, so say I'm fastest, and I'm first into the stage, all the enemies will attack me, and ONLY me, until I die. That is so INCREDIBLY dumb I cannot describe it.

Get a clue. Enemies in circuit DON'T WORK. We told you that last time, and you didn't get it. So lemme put it this way: Submit another example of this garbage, and I will reject it and not put it in the pack. Period.

Mystic said:
Second, the enemy AI works in a very simplistic way (the same reason Chaos mode sucks), and targets the first person it sees, and attacks them until they die. Okay, so say I'm fastest, and I'm first into the stage, all the enemies will attack me, and ONLY me, until I die. That is so INCREDIBLY dumb I cannot describe it.

Not exactly, I recall when checking out some of the enemy AI functions, they regularly use an A_Look style scan to look for other players that have come within range.

I'm pretty sure that function is broken. Now, he might have fixed the "if you go a certain distance away, they break contact, and start looking for someone else" finally, but they're still all going to target the first player to get into the room, and that's just dumb.

Mystic said:
I'm pretty sure that function is broken. Now, he might have fixed the "if you go a certain distance away, they break contact, and start looking for someone else" finally, but they're still all going to target the first player to get into the room, and that's just dumb.

Not really, it's just not good for multiplayer. If there was only one player, then it would just be simpler to do that, I'm sure that's why it was made like that in the first place. ^_~

Mystic said:
Okay, first, Circuit is time-only. Always. Hence, the enemies are only obstructions. Second, the enemy AI works in a very simplistic way (the same reason Chaos mode sucks), and targets the first person it sees, and attacks them until they die. Okay, so say I'm fastest, and I'm first into the stage, all the enemies will attack me, and ONLY me, until I die. That is so INCREDIBLY dumb I cannot describe it.
Well now I finaly get the missing info. (why wasn't this presented before?) Well this info kills off the Battle Woods series, but the co-op entry is still going to be made so as to close the contest series before the Dimension Glaber version is started (bound to be better).

When I enter circuit mode agian, no robots will be on the track.

Well, Glaber, if you'd tried playing Circuit and then testing your map in an actual game, you would have seen exactly how badly it sucks. We told you last time, don't make me drag it up.

Again, as it says in the contest topic: "Testing is encouraged".

As for Crusader:

The Contest Rules Topic said:
I prefer attachments, but links in the body of the e-mail are also alright provided they are to your own webspace. No SendSpace, Rapidshare, or other similar file hosts. Files hosted on such servers will not be included.
The reason that is written there is very simple: Your links were broken. All of those hosts delete the file after a period of time, and I don't download the files until the date of the contest. Hence, unsurprisingly, your link had expired. I clearly explained that in the contest rules. Please read them next time.

Anyone who uses a free file hosting site should submit their map a day before the voting starts.

No, they shouldn't use a free file host. How hard is it to attach the file to the e-mail? I swear.

Exactly. They have to spend the same exact amount of time uploading the file, and an email with the file has to be sent to Mystic anyways. I don't see the problem with attachments.

I do both, honestly. Mostly the file attachment, with an impromptu free file-sharing host as back-up and back-up ONLY. I've been burned with RapidShare downloads too much to attempt using it as my primary submission method.

But yeah, file attachments FTW, free file hosts FTL.

It's time for mah voetz.

Match

MAPA1 - Sand Temple Zone by Roboegg99 - 3/10
This place was so huge, I found myself lost in a matter of seconds. The rings were very far and few between and a few things just didn't look right, like that odd lava. It's flat and really contains nothing of interest. Not a very good map.

MAPA2 - Pirate Ship Zone by Torgo - 5/10
STOEL MAH IDAEZ. That aside, I'm probably not the first to think about that anyways. While it's a nice, good sized map, it's rather flat and doesn't have any points of interest. Except the spiral staircase. Love that.

MAPA3 - Industrial Sync Zone by Some guy - 9/10
Win. This place was very good for match and had lots of cool features, the wind pipe being a good example. Nice slow moving slime, great ring and monitor placement, hell if this was just a tad bigger, I'd give it a perfect 10.

MAPA4 - Hell Angel Zone Act 2 by Sonict - 7/10
Again, this map favors Tails players more and I liked that. I didn't quite like the crushers or the moving platforms that ACTED like crushers but other than that, it wasn't an all too bad map.

MAPA5 - Fort Eltsac Zone by Shadow Hog - 9/10
I can see this map dueling Industrial Sync for the title here. Great size, great explorability, excellent item placement and it's just a generally great map to play in. No real flaws I can think of...

Capture the Flag

MAPA6 - Amber Fortress Zone by CZ64 - 7/10
Oh god the framerate, the framerate! My crappy video card aside the layout wasn't all too bad for the much of it I saw going at 5FPS. :P It was kinda flat in the whole "conflict area" part of the map making traverrsing between bases difficult for anyone but Sonic. Other parts of the map were hard to get used to as well but for a CTF full of Sonics, this was fun.

MAPA7 - Concrete Stronghold Zone by Some guy - 7/10
I would give this map so much more based on the sheer detail of it but it's so frikken large. You'd think it would fit a CTF match but even with 10 players is difficult finding somebody, especially when that somebody is the flag carrier. This produces "puppy guarding" where if you have the enemies' flag, they'll just sit at your base waiting for you to come out, which isn't good if the rest of your teammates can't even find their own base. :\

MAPA8 - Subterranean Caves Zone by Oogaland - 5/10
I expecting something of greater quality from you Oogaland, based on your previous map efforts, especially in CTF. This map is rather bland, no scenery, very small and a bit hard to get around in. It's average at best.

Circuit

MAPA9 - Generic Greens Zone by SRB2-Playah - 6/10
This would get higher scores if not for the fact this seems to have taken EVERYTHING from Greenflower Zone and the fact that the pillar hopping in one part of the level gave me a HEADACHE. NOT FUN. Especially when you're experiencing both lag AND a framerate drop. X_X Not bad otherwise though. Fun for Sonic.

MAPAA - Noxious Wood Zone by SRB2-Playah - 4/10
This has SRB2PCMTSBAFSPZS as Mystic described it. This would be such an awesome, awesome map for Single Player but the moment I got about halfway through the level, I realized that playing circuit here is NOT a good idea. The instant kill toxic is so easy to hit in one area and the boxes...lord the boxes. Total flow killer.

MAPAB - Sandopolis Zone by JJames19119 - LIK/PIE
I would've given this map a 7, maybe 8 because I really liked it. It played AND looked great, I especially liked the pyramid part. But it seems other people don't necessarily agree. Cest la vie...

MAPAC - Elemental Ring Zone by JJames19119 OH/NOEZ
Yeah this was a very large map, very large. I tried to cram as much as I could into small areas representing the current shields, White first, then Blue, then Red, then Yellow and finally Black. I feared using sky changers and music changers based on the experience Sonict had with consistancy failures. After a while my inspiration just sorta got sucked dry by this mammoth and it didn't quite turn out as good as I wanted it to. Meh.

MAPAD - Flying Battery Zone by JJames19119 - OPPZ/MYBAD
Yeah, I was planning on fixing the "in the air" part but I got lazy. Man did that bite me back eh?

MAPAE - Pipedream Zone by .hack - 3/10
Flat, seemingly random, cramped and not too visually appealing. Nu.

MAPAF - Magma Mines Zone by SRB2-Playah - 4/10
We got another sufferer. I loved the detail you put into this map but it went to waste as a circuit map instead of a single player map. Quicksand + Lava does not mix btw, made things rather frustrating even though it is technically realistic. The falling lava was a HUGE no-no too because waiting is the LAST thing you wanna do in circuit.

MAPAG - Mario Race Zone by Sonict - 6/10
Certainly not bad, I liked the concept of Mario. It was kinda cramped and had little space everywhere but otherwise, it was nice.

MAPAH - The Awesumest Race Zone by Sonict - 1/10
I actually didn't think this was as funny as Digiku's awsumest match zone but it was good for a chuckle and bringing back fond memories.

MAPAI - Desert Palace Zone by JMS - 2/10
At first, the look of the game fooled me into thinking this was nicely detailed and the quality of the map would hopefully match. Boy was I wrong...cramped cramped cramped, hard and like Mystic said, broken starposts. You NEED to use the sector special "Starpost Activator" in order for most circuits to work!

MAPAJ - Battle Woods Zone Act 2 by Glaber - 3/10
The layout itself wasn't too bad but was totally ruined by the enemies. Which is kinda sad.

And now... My voting:

*sits in a chair with the point number signs in his desk and starts*

****Race/Circuit Division****

Generic Greens Zone: A day map with some pretty waterfalls is ok with me, the decoration is good, it has sense, the rings, waterfalls and roads are expanded and guided easy to know where you have to go.

7/10 Very Good.

Noxious Wood: Too much wood i say. This map has the right side of the line when we talk about circuit. A mix with woods and acid, plus a sad sky and rain, thats pretty ok.

7/10 Very Good.

Sandopolis: Like some sand maps the starting is always an entrance to a temple, thats ok in this map, and the inside temple is way too delightful with the light combinations.

8/10 Excellent.

Elemental Ring: How good is mixing somethings up? Lava, acid, techno. I have seen some combinations, but this is the most complete, it has at least all of the elements shown in srb2, its very fun.

9/10 Awesome.

Flying Battery: hmm... not pretty awesome that i tought, the level is a little monotoun and pretty short, but in some kind, playable.

6/10 Good.

Pipedream: A bit monotoun with the textures and the pipes but... its playable at least.

6/10 Good.

Magma Mine: A very good mine scene with a lava cavern, both connected as they have, fun.

7/10 Very good.

Mario Race: These three ambients connected one to the next, an excellent map i say, the music change is fine too.

9/10 Awesome.

The Awsumest Race: hmmm... not a good race at all, very simple its just mixed textures.

4/10 Poor.

Desert Palace: Yes this is... a good playable map, pretty temple, teleporters, everythings fine, except for the red sky, i dont accept that.

6.50/10 Good.

Battle Woods 2: Pretty fine, a forest with some fire like its burning some enemies, yes this is ok.

7/10 Very good.

****Match Division****

Sand/Fire Temple: ...eh, too large, pretty much lava, decorating... bad... mmm, no.

4/10 Poor.

Pirateship: A Little small, the water could be more deep, the ship, larger, and with some decorating in the up side and bottom side.

5/10 Average.

Industrial Sync: Yes yes, Techno style, acid, pretty good map, fun.

6/10 good.

Hell Angel 2: Pretty comfy map, an average quantity of rings and boxes, sad sky, castle bricks, yes, fun.

7/10 Very Good.

Fort Elsac: wow! Pretty, pretty cool map, large, scenic, good ambience, some water, and a good quantity of rings and boxes.

9/10 Awesome.

****Capture The Flag Division****

Amber Fortress: Perfect! Very scenic and a good ambience, both fortress in front of a waterfall, exellent!.

10/10 Perfect!

Concrete Stronghold: Very Good, i like how it looks, and how are the teleporters, ways to go and go back, very very good.

9/10 Awesome.

Subterranean Caves: Good ambience and very playable, right amount of water and rings, good map.

8/10 Excellent.

****Single Player Division****

Doomsday Zone: ...this map has a lot of errors, First one, the floor shouldnt be a "Black Hole" just an hurtable floor, the lenght of the map: lesser than 10 seconds, a little more if you count the damn spring, and... Fly???? isnt it float?... this map is the worstest one.

1/10 Awful.

Molten Core: the start... wrong... if you die you are trapped, i`ve been played this level before, the older version hasnt got a lava shield, now yes, better, but what about the turret?, bye shield, the next part, when those "lava" falls in some holes appear, when i fell throught one, i didnt died, but when i reached the end... i died, and i have to start all again, i cant pass thorught the damnit door, playable map at least.

5.50/10 Average

Mystic said:
As for Crusader:

The Contest Rules Topic said:
I prefer attachments, but links in the body of the e-mail are also alright provided they are to your own webspace. No SendSpace, Rapidshare, or other similar file hosts. Files hosted on such servers will not be included.
The reason that is written there is very simple: Your links were broken. All of those hosts delete the file after a period of time, and I don't download the files until the date of the contest. Hence, unsurprisingly, your link had expired. I clearly explained that in the contest rules. Please read them next time.

Actually, the website must not be able to download those ones. Try ANY other file on there, even the older ones. I'll zip 'em now.

Crusader, I have no patience for broken links. If I get a 404, your entry is busted. If I have to wait more than 15 seconds for a download, your entry is busted. I'm trying to be efficient, and the most efficient way for you to send me the file is as an e-mail attachment. For some people that is not an option, so I allow personal webspace as an alternative. However, free file hosting sites always introduce a ton of bull crap that I simply shouldn't have to deal with. Your links were broken, please resubmit for the next contest properly. I spelled out the requirements, and you didn't follow them. I simply don't feel sorry for ya in this case.

Well, the instant the pack came up, the deadline passed, you can go ahead and enter for the next contest. Just please follow the instructions this time.

The Awesumest Race Zone:

Well, Sonict's quickies are sometimes lagging behind (NOT laggy, though), but I had a bit of fun here.
At the start, I carelessly rammed into a wall, and found an "all-powerful" shortcut. I said, "Cool, guys, I'm shortcutting!!!!!!!!! Fun!" They said, "Yeah, we know that." I said "Oh."
Now, that was pretty fun, but I can't tell if that's a redwall or a REDFLR texture. Still, an enjoyable, if not also cramped (points off for that!), one. For a few minutes, though.
Bottom line?
6/10

Well I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back