Why all the SMS wad hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then what's the argument here? We were talking about why SMS is bad in SRB2. SMS being bad doesn't mean we need to literally redesign our game around him. If you want to see that, then go put him into another game. I doubt there's anyone left in this community that even wants to touch SMS anymore.

No, they're not unreasonably far-gone in stupidity for using words you don't like. Both words imply the same thing. When people have negative opinions on a wad, they're going to use negative words. Maybe you're just overly sensitive to cursing?

200MB of HDD space is a small price to pay compared to the many hours of work needed to create a well-designed character.

1. I thought that we were talking about SMS being bad in general, not just in SRB2
2. I didn't say anything about redesigning SRB2 or any other game around SMS.
3. I just mentioned something about putting him in another game.
4. I said that it makes them SOUND ignorant and stupid, not that they ARE ignorant and stupid.
5. Cursing isn't the only form of negative words; Negative opinions are no excuse for cursing, especially not when anyone can read it.
6. I'm not overly sensitive to cursing. I'm just tired having to deal with it in every single public place both on the internet and in person

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

9nohQh4

How was anyone supposed to have known that was a joke without any sort of prior indication? As far as I can tell, nobody here can immediately tell what you're thinking without you telling them. After all, we're on the internet instead of talking face-to-face, which makes conversation somewhat more complicated. Though I must admit this image did make me laugh.

Last edited:
first of all, I'm not trying to "justify saying SMS has potential".
Read exactly what I said:
Your experience may very well be limited in scope, it's not a justification for saying SMS has potential.
I was not dictating that you were trying to justify your ability to say something. I was addressing that your justification for your argument, your personal experience, was inadequate as a foundation for any position you were presenting. This was a direct comment on the logical structure of your statement.

1. I thought that we were talking about SMS being bad in general, not just in SRB2
2. I didn't say anything about redesigning SRB2 or any other game around SMS.
3. I just mentioned something about putting him in another game.
This is the SRB2 forum, on the website dedicated to the SRB2 game, and the specific subforum is called SRB2 Discussion. And the character we are talking about was made for SRB2.

If you're going to start arguing that this thing has merit in some other context, I'm just going to lock this thread outright, because at that point, this discussion stops mattering altogether. Whether or not he can be good somewhere else is absolutely not relevant at all to this community. And given that you asked why it gets as much shit as it does from this community, it's reasonable to infer that you yourself care about it in that context.

4. I said that it makes them SOUND ignorant and stupid, not that they ARE ignorant and stupid.
5. Cursing isn't the only form of negative words; Negative opinions are no excuse for cursing, especially not when anyone can read it.
6. I'm not overly sensitive to cursing. I'm just tired having to deal with it in every single public place both on the internet and in person
I'm going to address this once and only once. Do not tone police. It is absolutely not your position to be dictating to other people what words they may and may not use. That is entirely up to admin discretion, and this issue was resolved years ago. You're free not to use words you don't like. You are absolutely not free to tell other people what words they should and shouldn't use, and you are also not free to talk down to people for using words that you don't like. Insinuating people using these words are not intelligent is almost as bad as just calling them stupid outright.

How was anyone supposed to have known that was a joke without any sort of prior indication? As far as I can tell, nobody here can immediately tell what you're thinking without you telling them. After all, we're on the internet instead of talking face-to-face, which makes conversation somewhat more complicated. Though I must admit this image did make me laugh.

Well, you're wrong. It was very apparent he was making a joke. The exaggerated tone of his initial response and the fact that he picked an option that was clearly not in your listed categories are dead giveaways, as well as the fact that he was mocking the subject matter of this debate. The problem here is your inability to read context. Not in the internet's nature.

I find it silly that the discussion is going in more circles than orbiting moon homing attack glitch in SA2, and I'm guilty of doing it all the time in an argument.

You know why SMS gets its hate, trying to change our opinions on it are not going to help your case.

Whether you've found enjoyment in SMS or not doesn't matter, you left up to 4 pages worth of discussion where multiple people gave their thoughts and opinions on SMS, the majority don't find enjoyment in SMS, and multiple people have given you reasons why they don't like him and why he doesn't work as a concept, idea, or worthwhile template.

SMS is one of the worst popular character mods in SRB2 and is an example for future, truly dedicated modders to know that whatever their idea of a character mod is, can't seriously be worse than SMS. If you can't accept these opinions, well I'm sorry you dedicated your time to this thread hoping that people have changed their thoughts, but enough is enough. You are making an embarrassment out of yourself trying to defend a badly designed character mod.

I'll explain this simply for you. If you don't understand this, there's probably no point in continuing this thread.

A: Hi guys, I think poop can be a good food. Why does no one like it?
B: Because it's terrible as a food.
A: I think we could update it and improve it to make it better.
B: Sure, but then it wouldn't really be poop anymore, would it? It would be food.

J39nkfh.png

Last edited:
This entire thread would be going much smoother if you didn't operate on the assumption that people who disagree with you hate you.

Don't forget that most of us are highschoolers or adults, so the idea that we could have a full range of disdain for someone we basically just met is simply absurd.

I have a feeling that starting this thread was a huge mistake, because nearly everyone involved has just been extremely narrow-minded about their perspectives on the mere idea of SMS having even the slightest bit of potential, even if said potential is centered around things like helping people learn how to edit the sprites of and/or nerf a character wad by using SMS as a base for the tutorial. There should have been a level pack designed to challenge those who play as him, just to show how difficult we can make things for whatever SMS players are left(if applicable).

???
You're assuming we've been narrowminded, but the honest truth is that because you're arguing only because you don't want to be wrong. We've demonstrated and explained why SMS isn't the best tool (or a tool of any value at all) for teaching all of these different things. If you wanna learn how to edit sprites. . . use FSonic, not a Sonic edit which removes shading and ignores the proper practices of spriting. There is nothing you can get from SMS that can't be found elsewhere. I don't know why you keep ignoring that.

SMS couldn't teach how to nerf characters, because being an overpowered sonic means his nerfed form would just be... Sonic. And what has that taught you? That being overpowered is bad? No shit it's bad, but that's not actually useful data.

>There should've been a level pack to challenge those who play as him

Or you could... design a level pack around the starting three, which are actually interesting in their strengths and weaknesses... hell, where are the Shadow levels? The Silver ones? Those characters actually have unique gimmicks where I'd have to think to be able to come up with something, instead of just making a map with wide platform gaps.

All of this is reminding me of when Super Mystic Sonic said that his character will have DVD-quality cutscenes and require DirectX 10 to run.

... in 2006. When DirectX 10 wasn't even out yet. For a game that runs on DirectX 3.

Is it bad that I never knew SMS was a fan character? Like, I legitimately thought to myself that it was an idea SEGA had thought of.

Why all the Recolor Hate?

Overpowered Shitty Recolors have feelings too, guys :<

Just wait until I make Soulman the Hedgehog, and then all you fricking fricks will be sorry!!!

Last edited:
Overpowered Shitty Recolors have feelings too, guys :<

Just wait until I make Soulman the Hedgehog, and then all you fricking fricks will be sorry!!!

I don't need to be turned into the base for someone else's ideas. I mean, who would want to name anything after a complete stranger's account without even asking or even giving credit? I sure wouldn't want to be a victim of someone having done something like that.

Last edited:
I don't need to be turned into the base for someone else's ideas. I mean, who would want to name anything after a complete stranger's account without even asking or even giving credit? I sure wouldn't want to be a victim of someone having done something like that.

It seems to me that you need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.

It seems to me that you need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.

I have difficulty reading unindicated sarcasm in text, regardless of how I look at it. It's something to do with my condition, which you should know about if you have looked at my profile page recently.

Last edited:
...I'd say "so what", but I do have to admit, it is different for everyone.

I will just state that you are becoming the laughingstock of the community with this thread, so perhaps you should just accept that we aren't going to "redeem" SMS and move on.

You can't redeem some things

Not everything is a good idea, and that's just life. No matter how hard you try, there's no way to make SMS good, because any sort of improvement to SMS that resulted in a dramatic increase in his quality would also cause it to no longer be SMS. In spirit? Prehaps, but it'll be far from improving the original idea itself.

Arguing for the sake of arguing is dumb. If you haven't actually made your case by now, I doubt you ever will.

...I'd say "so what", but I do have to admit, it is different for everyone.

I will just state that you are becoming the laughingstock of the community with this thread, so perhaps you should just accept that we aren't going to "redeem" SMS and move on.

I tried to keep thread going in hopes that I would find people who shared my opinions, and instead I found everybody disagreeing with me, laughing at me and finding reasons why I'm wrong. In the end, everybody seems to think negatively of me and they appear to be keeping things going without me. Now all I want is for this thread to just disappear so nobody has to see it, because all it's doing is letting people have fun at my expense.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

You can't redeem some things

Not everything is a good idea, and that's just life. No matter how hard you try, there's no way to make SMS good, because any sort of improvement to SMS that resulted in a dramatic increase in his quality would also cause it to no longer be SMS. In spirit? Prehaps, but it'll be far from improving the original idea itself.

Arguing for the sake of arguing is dumb. If you haven't actually made your case by now, I doubt you ever will.

I stopped caring about arguing yesterday.

Now all I want is for this thread to just disappear so nobody has to see it, because all it's doing is letting people have fun at my expense.
Let me do the next best thing and lock it, because I think by now everyone agrees that there's no point in continuing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back