Interface and Accessibility Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
The save files remind me heavily of mania's and S3&K's.Keep up the amazing work!Can't wait for this update to be released!

This all looks amazing! That GIF looks so good.

Question: Has the default control scheme been changed now that the keys have been renamed? I haven't used the default controls in something like 10 years, but if I remember correctly:

Up arrow - Move Forward
Down arrow - Move Backward
Left arrow - Camera Left
Right Arrow - Camera Right
And "Move Left" and "Move Right" aren't mapped to any keys.

That seems quite odd when using the new names. It'd make more sense to have WASD controls be the default.

2.1's default controls allow either WASD or arrow keys to be used IIRC. I think this is still the basic setup in 2.2, though we've probably tweaked a few things since then? I haven't checked in a while myself.

That seems quite odd when using the new names. It'd make more sense to have WASD controls be the default.
The planned keyboard control default is WASD for movement and arrow keys for camera. As in pressing up arrow will move the camera up. While we don't actually expect most keyboard players to actually use that control scheme, we want new players who ignore our instructions to press up, move the camera, and then have to find out what the controls are by looking in the menu for setting them, and therefore learn a couple things just by the process of changing the controls to their liking.

Essentially, the goal is to try to subtly explain things to the player when the blatant things like direct explanation are ignored.

Since nobody's gonna bring it up I'll might as well say it, I noticed Egg Slimer's Slime is now blue; what's with that? Unless it's the slime from Chemical Plant Zone. If it is, I like the small reference to Sonic 2. You're doing great guys and gals, you're doing great.

Since nobody's gonna bring it up I'll might as well say it, I noticed Egg Slimer's Slime is now blue; what's with that? Unless it's the slime from Chemical Plant Zone. If it is, I like the small reference to Sonic 2. You're doing great guys and gals, you're doing great.

Since the purple gel in THZ doesn't hurt the player in v2.1+, the fact that the purple gel from the Egg Slimer does hurt the player is a problem in the current version of the game. I imagine that's the reason for the recoloring.

Well, consider the fact that the purple slime in THZ1 and THZ2 is no longer harmful, and Egg Slimer's purple slime being harmful no longer makes sense. Therefore, it was clearly time to switch to a different color slime for Egg Slimer.

Begs the question of why we didn't do this for 2.1 of course, I guess we just didn't get around to doing so back then. =P

EDIT: Snap, ninja'd

With autobreak being a thing now, how is the player supposed to know its enabled, is there any ingame indicator of some sorts (I only see one in the replay files). I mean, autobreak will be a welcome addition for newcommers but they also have, or at least should be motivated in some way to disable this feature at some point since this gives them extra mobility and control over their characters.

In this sense its kinda like the smart steering function found in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it helps, but also motivates players to drive without it once they feel confident enough to do so. It does notify the player about the usage of smart steering via an antenna on the back of their kart/bike which is telling the player that they are not in full controll over their own vehicle but rather rely on some sort of an autopilot, potentially motivating them to disable smart steering to gain full control. And I think the same kind of motivation can be bought over to SRB2 with a similar indication method ingame.

My only fear with autobreak, esp. if enabled by default, is that people grow used to it that they probably don't want to disable it later on, which does probably work out fine for gamemodes such as singleplayer and coop but may become a problem in gamemodes where precise movement and the full awareness of your characters mobility is almost mandatory such as Match or CTF.

I might also be totally wrong and my worries are unjustified but that is also why I'm curious to know 1) if there is any indicator for autobreaking ingame and 2) how, if at all, the game motivates the player to disable this feature and take full control over the character themselves.

We're literally spelling it out in the tutorial stage. it will be very explicitly stated what Autobrake is, why it's there, that it can be disabled, and when you should disable it.

R.I.P.
Sonic's Ass
1998-2017

Real talk: controls look a lot better than I would have expected from the description. Although I understand the camera hasn't really been changed, it does look like you guys zoomed it out a little bit, which was a good move.

We're literally spelling it out in the tutorial stage. it will be very explicitly stated what Autobrake is, why it's there, that it can be disabled, and when you should disable it.

Oh hey, this is new news! (Unless it isn't and I just missed something.) The game has a tutorial stage now?

Since the purple gel in THZ doesn't hurt the player in v2.1+, the fact that the purple gel from the Egg Slimer does hurt the player is a problem in the current version of the game. I imagine that's the reason for the recoloring.
Well, consider the fact that the purple slime in THZ1 and THZ2 is no longer harmful, and Egg Slimer's purple slime being harmful no longer makes sense. Therefore, it was clearly time to switch to a different color slime for Egg Slimer.

Begs the question of why we didn't do this for 2.1 of course, I guess we just didn't get around to doing so back then. =P

EDIT: Snap, ninja'd

You know, wouldn't green slime work instead? As stated, Pink already is the bouncy slime, and blue would be mistaken for water. Plus Egg Rock zone already uses Green Goop in a damaging or death causing way.

Last edited:
Uh, no. For starters, this is Sonic, Blue Goop is perfect for SRB2 in the slightest. In fact, there are things like textures for water, while goop doesn't actually have flats for textures.

Because believe it or not, pink is not the first color I'd think of when I see THZ's new goop, it's a lavender or lilac color, or at the very least, something within purple's shades.

Also if we think it's purple before the boss, we could get confused pretty easily.

You know, wouldn't green slime work instead? As stated, Pink already is the bouncy slime, and blue would be mistaken for water.

Blue is the least ambiguous since there is no blue goop texture to correlate to that would cause it to be confused with some other effect. Additionally, the current pink damaging water texture is not likely to have been seen by new players since the gimmick was removed from THZ. Green could also work, but that would create potential confusion later, since green goop is used for instant death water in ERZ.

Anyway, there's no way that the player would be able to draw the connection that Eggman's blue goop is just harmless water. I mean, why would that even make sense in the middle of a boss fight?

"Oh no! A bath!"

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Thanks for your kind words. I had my finger in pretty much every pie relating to this newspost, so all these serotonin's I'm feeling? A blessing from you all~

We tried a few colours for the Egg Slimer's bloop, and blue just happened to be the one which looked the nicest in the low-lighting conditions of the arena. The historical precedence of CPZ helped, though.

No tutorial stage yet, so a little uncomfy that it's being promised without work being done on it - but yeah, it's totally in the cards. Honestly, I think it might be wise to do the MK8D thing and put the autobrake option directly on the pause menu, to encourage people to be tempted to turn it off when they think they're proficient enough.

Also, yeah! We did zoom out the camera (and increase its speed so that it's still roughly the same distance away when running as Sonic), and maybe should've mentioned that in the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back