• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Arcade Gamer thread of nothing to see here move along

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcade Gamer

Acts like a mature adult
You don't need to see what was here before, it was just lazy bad sprites.

Last edited:
Start small bro, this like the what, 16th, 17th and 18th characters you are "making"?

Start with one character, make all the frames for that one character, then move on, because otherwise these sprites don't mean anything.

Really? What happened to big? Or Omega? Or those tons of other wads you were also working on? Because it seems to me like you made a ton of first frames and moved on to the next character. Stay focused on one, otherwise there really isn't a point to these sprites. Sorry If I'm coming out as a bit harsh, but with this kind of style you won't go anywhere unless you actually do more than 1 sprite for a single character.

In fact, we don't even allow threads for single sprites without more significant progress made. You need to some at least an animation or two before you can have a thread.

Or some diagonal frames, or something. The problem is just that lots of people post about making character wads with the front standing sprite and then do nothing else. You'll have to show some progress beyond that.

You're forgetting that the lightsource in SRB2 sprites is mainly supposed to come from above, yet the shading in Charmy and Vector's front sprites hint that they are coming the top right. You should try to make Vector's head overshadow a bit of the middle of his chest and that's about it, really. As for Mighty... he looks crosseyed, as his pupils are too close to each other. Not only that, but it's too evident that all you did was take Sonic, shove a shell in him, and give him grey soles. You could have at least tried to fix up his arms to not be posed exactly like Sonic, and fixed his shoe shape, because they are not supposed to be as pointy. What bothers me the most is that you just mirrored the shell and didn't even bother to fix the ridiculously wide shape, nor the brightening upon his head:

H1bjGX4.png

Also, I really appreciate that someone is trying to make use of the Chaotix sprites I made, but... you are using it in the wrong way. It's way too evident that all you did was just rearrange parts from the original sprites just to save you from doing all of the body parts from scratch, but bad news for you, though... it looks heavily unnatural. Vector's headphones are sticking too much out of his head, his hands are just copy pasted from the diagonal sprite despite this being a different angle, and his feet are not even angled forward (why would his stand with his feet like that?).

bVMTg5X.png

So if you want to get better at spriting, you better start getting used to spriting a character's other angles and animations from scratch, and actually look up for character reference to make sure they don't look out of model.

Gah I can't take it anymore! Why the hell did I think it was good to make a thread where I show off a bunch of frontal character sprites, that don't even look good at all? All I been doing was cropping a bunch of pixels and thinking it is good looking sprites, and then I been ignoring the critism I been receiving? I am such a moron! I never noticed how lazily the sprites were done. I'm gonna start something fresh instead of making 12 or something frontal sprites of a bunch of characters.

Well, I applaud you for actually coming to terms with that and resolving to do better. I mean that sincerely, most people in your position never do. That said, there's no reason for you to self-flagellate over it, and no reason for me to let the drama draw out any more.

Feel free to make a new general thread if you make some new stuff to show off... just make sure it's more than the very, very start of the work next time and you should be good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back