Soundtrack download [Last updated on March 25th 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espyo

Anybody remember this post? Probably not, but what matters is that I took a crack at compiling a version of the SRB2 OST, with maximized hearing pleasure! This OST belongs to version 2.1.X (2.1.3, more precisely) of the game. Features:

• All files are named with the most appropriate titles I could come up with, and a number ordering.
  • Most songs loop twice and fade out for 5 seconds. They loop exactly as how they would in-game.
  • Missing tags have been added.
    • Missing "title" tags have been filled, as appropriately as possible. Whenever possible, I kept the original titles, although I did change some to avoid confusion.
    • Missing "album" tags have been filled with "Sonic Robo Blast 2".
    • Missing "genre" tags have been filled with "Game".
  • Comment tags are included, stating that I converted and/or looped the song, as well as the lump name of the original song, inside the game's files. If the song is looped and contains a specific loop point in the game, I added that too. In the original lump/ogg files, the loop point is represented by a "LOOPPOINT=123456" comment (123456 obviously being the loop point, in samples).
  • Bonus songs, for those that miss them.
The thing is, not everybody has a way to open OGG files. Sure, all modern programs and operative systems can open them, but your radio or MP3 player cannot. In addition, whenever I listen to an OST, I want the songs to loop twice and then fade out, and I know I'm not alone on this. The titles of some songs were also pretty crazy, so I fixed them. This all lead to my version of the OST, which is available for download at the bottom of this post. I've also included a helpful README file along with it.

There are a couple of things to talk about. First, some songs are missing some tags, so we don't know the authors. Would any dev care to shed some information about these?
Secondly, the missing track names, the choice of looping or not, and the bonus songs are all subjective; if you feel like something would be better another way, do discuss it, please.
Third, there are 3 songs which I know nothing about (I have 100+ emblems, but haven't 100% the game yet), and one of them is particularly interesting, in that it is a sad rendition of Greenflower Zone Act 1. This has "easter egg" written all over it! The fact that it's found in srb2.srb only helps support that. I have yet to read about anything of the sort, so people, get cracking!

In the other thread all those months ago, the mods never pointed out any problem with sharing my own conversions and tweaks of the OST, so I assume it's fine to share. I'll take it down if it's not. If you want to have a download for this on the main page or something, that's fine by me, but maybe give it a few days, so I can at least fill in the info on the unknown and incorrectly tagged songs (or just give me the right info yourselves! :D).

Download link update, as of the 21st of December 2019: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZ8qXSkZdN8p4all7GS1RSiSmngEXBVaQjYk
DOWNLOAD, last update on 23rd March 2014
: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47921869/Permanent/SRB2 v2.1.X OST.7z (warning: 210 MB; the Dropbox servers might not take it too kindly, so if you see an error, try again later)

Last edited:
That sad rendition of GFZ sounds actually kind of creepy.

The first time I heard it, I had chills and cold-sweats! I had flashbacks of the Bulmer easter egg and the JTE SRB2 Super Virus. I was just waiting for the song to contain a screamer, or go really really dark at the end. But after listening to it, it sounds more sad than scary.

Oh, and you're welcome! I knew people'd appreciate it, so that's why I figured I had to share.

The credits theme is a cut from a tune composed by Howard Drossin. It's from the album Virtual Sonic and is titled "Sonic and Knuckles Theme".

I think Spring Hill Zone is from Nights, but I'm not sure if it's a remix or it's something taken from the original game, or who the original composer was.

Holy pieces of shit what is Unknown Track #1. It could be an outside source.

I think "Icy Tundra" was also Jarel Jones.

Last edited:
All of NiGHTS into Dreams' main levels had 4 different mixes, which were split into several sections which could be spliced with each other in-game. Spring Hill Zone's theme is just one of those many possible arrangements.

The credits theme is actually where SRB2's main theme actually came from. =V In fact that "Metal Sonic theme" formerly taking tunes 25's slot was from Virtual Sonic too, but I gave that the boot since we don't need an out of place theme with *singing*!

For that matter, in it's place (or rather at tunes 24) I put in some other ERZ related theme InstantSonic probably made, which I guess must be "Unknown Track #1"?

Last edited:
In fact that "Metal Sonic theme" formerly taking tunes 25's slot was from Virtual Sonic too, but I gave that the boot since we don't need an out of place theme with *singing*!

Not that you'd have any idea what the hell he's saying anyway.

78 - Unknown Track #2: This track is the early version of Verdant Forest Zone, composed by Jarel Jones, the same person who composed the early version of Aerial Garden Zone.

79 - Unknown Track #3: Emoflower Zone Act 1. I've yet to find where the heck does this thing play. But from what I gathered, this song is just Greenflower Zone 1, but inverted. So yeah, same composers and all, just inverted the midi and remastered the result.

Also, a couple of other things:

81 - Bonus - 1.09.4 Credits: Shouldn't the same people who are listed in the 2.0.X's version be listed here, too? I mean, other than the ending, it's the same song! Also, since you went through the trouble of saying 2.0.X, not referring to any version in particular, you should probably do the same for this old version. After all, it wasn't only used in 1.09.4, but in all the versions of the Final Demo era.

51 - Spring Hill Zone: This is just a shorter version of Paternal Horn, from the game NiGHTS into Dreams. The internet tells me that the composers of that songs are Tomoko Sasaki, Fumie Kumatani and Naofumi Hataya. So maybe list them?

56 - Knothole Base Zone: This is a remastered midi of Sonic Electronic from the album Sonic Arcade. Sonic Retro lists the people who worked on that song. Here you have a link to the page.

20 - Character Select: This song, like the old Aerial Garden and the old Verdant Forest, was composed by Jarel Jones.

75 - Old Special Stage: I think this song was composed by David Bulmer, but I'm not really sure.

Wasn't 2.0.X/1.09.4 credits originally based on a MIDI by David Bulmer? Still there on vgmusic.com even IIRC, a MIDI of Metropolis Zone.

EDIT: "Egg Rock Zone Act 2 Beta" is actually a mix of the original Act 1 theme, all the other ones are based on the original Act 2 theme.

EDIT: You have no idea of anything do you? 66 is Rocky Mountain Zone's theme, 67 is Early Arid Canyon Zone Act 1, and 69 is just ACZ2 without the banjo!

Last edited:
Just a little note, guys, I didn't create the tags for the titles nor the authors. Those tags are filled already in the in-game files. So any tracks with weird names or missing authors isn't my fault. I only really changed the title tag of like one or two songs, for disambiguation's sake. So don't shun me for it... Specially you, Monster Iestyn ;)

For that matter, in it's place (or rather at tunes 24) I put in some other ERZ related theme InstantSonic probably made, which I guess must be "Unknown Track #1"?

Yep, "Unknown Track #1" is O_MAP24M, but your ambiguity doesn't really say much... :P

79 - Unknown Track #3: Emoflower Zone Act 1. I've yet to find where the heck does this thing play. But from what I gathered, this song is just Greenflower Zone 1, but inverted. So yeah, same composers and all, just inverted the midi and remastered the result.

Is that title official? Where did you get the info from? Also, I tried playing that song in reverse, and I found absolutely no trace of Greenflower Zone Act 1 in it, no matter how hard I tried...

Also, since you went through the trouble of saying 2.0.X, not referring to any version in particular, you should probably do the same for this old version. After all, it wasn't only used in 1.09.4, but in all the versions of the Final Demo era.

I can justify that >_> It's been ages since 1.X.X was a thing, so I cannot remember which exact versions that song played in... I took the safe route and just said the version I knew for sure: 1.09.4. What should it be, then? 1.09.X, or 1.X.X? ("All versions of the Final Demo era" is a bit ambiguous, you see... (I used the word ambiguous way too many times in this post.))

75 - Old Special Stage: I think this song was composed by David Bulmer, but I'm not really sure.

I won't add this for now because there's no certainty.

"Egg Rock Zone Act 2 Beta" is actually a mix of the original Act 1 theme, all the other ones are based on the original Act 2 theme.

I am so confused here, right now. Care to re-word this?

---

Other than that, I added and improved all information suggested. Thanks, everyone! But there is still a small bit to go until all of these tags are fixed. Plus for remastered songs, we still need some more clarification on who the original authors of the song are, as well as those who rearranged/remixed/remastered. This applies to SHZ, PTZ, the credits theme, and a few others.
I'll update the zip soon, just need answers on some of my questions.

Oh, and for any dev out there that's reading this, and is responsible for the OST's upkeep, how's about updating the tags in the game files? It's a mess!

Last edited:
Holy pieces of shit what is Unknown Track #1. It could be an outside source.

It's cool, isn't it? :p Co-incidentally, it's the song I use for Voltar's theme in 'nauts, as I've had it around for a while.

The first place I ever found it was in srb2sbahj, in that ERZ beta level which is probably the one intentionally good level included in the pack. I was under the impression that Nev3r had made it cause it's a little similar to some of his other pieces, but apparently this wasn't the case, as I asked him. I've never been enlightened on who actually made it. It's really good though, with some cool sampling. If you manage to find out, let me know please. Even more co-incidentally, this other piece is Voltar's killing spree.

Is that title official? Where did you get the info from? Also, I tried playing that song in reverse, and I found absolutely no trace of Greenflower Zone Act 1 in it, no matter how hard I tried...

Heh, no, the title it's not official, I was just joking. The info I got from the IRC #srb2fun channel. And you got it wrong: It's inversed, not reversed.

I can justify that >_> It's been ages since 1.X.X was a thing, so I cannot remember which exact versions that song played in... I took the safe route and just said the version I knew for sure: 1.09.4. What should it be, then? 1.09.X, or 1.X.X? ("All versions of the Final Demo era" is a bit ambiguous, you see... (I used the word ambiguous way too many times in this post.))

Well, I think it should be "81 - Bonus - "Final Demo" Credits".

I won't add this for now because there's no certainty.

That's cool. I don't even know why I mentioned it anyway!

Good luck with the rest of the songs, mate!

Yep, "Unknown Track #1" is O_MAP24M, but your ambiguity doesn't really say much... :P

I don't know the details, but I'm pretty sure it was InstantSonic who made it (the original file I've seen around goes by "SRB2-ERZ_A3.mp3" apparently)

I am so confused here, right now. Care to re-word this?

https://www.srb2.org/history_data/soundtrack/11-RobotnirockZone.mp3

Makes more sense when you know what the original music for everything sounded like. Current ERZ1 and ERZ2 music is based on what was the original version of the Act 2 theme linked here, and Act 1's is only present in tunes 87 (which I personally find to be ruined by the overdone guitar, probably explains why it isn't used).

EDIT: Oh and for that matter, Egg Rock Core Zone's music, AKA the originally planned Final Boss theme:
https://www.srb2.org/history_data/soundtrack/13-FinalBossTheme.mp3

Last edited:
Evil Flower, not Emo Flower

I'll go through this a bit later and post more info and/or corrections.

51 - Spring Hill Zone: This is just a shorter version of Paternal Horn, from the game NiGHTS into Dreams. The internet tells me that the composers of that songs are Tomoko Sasaki, Fumie Kumatani and Naofumi Hataya. So maybe list them?

actually is a mix made by the gift music box from christmas nights, where you can make a mix between the 4 variations (content, cherring, angry, normal) and this where a mix of them, the same mix you can build in game

I think the 'Evil Flower' song might have been a GFZ3 or something? It sounds sad, like Sonic is running through the destroyed Greenflower city?

It's cool, isn't it? :p Co-incidentally, it's the song I use for Voltar's theme in 'nauts, as I've had it around for a while.

The first place I ever found it was in srb2sbahj, in that ERZ beta level which is probably the one intentionally good level included in the pack. I was under the impression that Nev3r had made it cause it's a little similar to some of his other pieces, but apparently this wasn't the case, as I asked him. I've never been enlightened on who actually made it. It's really good though, with some cool sampling. If you manage to find out, let me know please. Even more co-incidentally, this other piece is Voltar's killing spree.

Yeah, N3ver isn't that good lol. I'll have to ask him directly, and if he doesn't know maybe I can get lucky with a SoundHound search or something.

InstantSonic made it, no probably involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back