Sonic Forces

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMj8WSS_PY

Not sure if this was posted yet, but basically explains my sentiments on Classic Sonic being stuck with Modern Sonic again. Not only were the physics not completely fleshed out in Generations, but we already have Sonic Mania coming out around the same time. Not sure why SEGA even bothered.

If anything, the inclusion of the character creator seems like a much better design choice than Classic Sonic, if only because it actually looks like Sonic's boost gameplay with a twist in mechanics, rather than what should have been a completely different game. I really wish SEGA would stop pussy-footing and just go full-force with their best gameplay formula. They're not winning me over by giving me half a classic Sonic game, so they may as well just work on pleasing their newer fans instead.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMj8WSS_PY

Not sure if this was posted yet, but basically explains my sentiments on Classic Sonic being stuck with Modern Sonic again. Not only were the physics not completely fleshed out in Generations, but we already have Sonic Mania coming out around the same time. Not sure why SEGA even bothered.

If anything, the inclusion of the character creator seems like a much better design choice than Classic Sonic, if only because it actually looks like Sonic's boost gameplay with a twist in mechanics, rather than what should have been a completely different game. I really wish SEGA would stop pussy-footing and just go full-force with their best gameplay formula. They're not winning me over by giving me half a classic Sonic game, so they may as well just work on pleasing their newer fans instead.
My best guess is that they thought because people loved the inclusion of classic sonic in generations, that people would want to see him again. Although in reality it makes NO sense because as you stated, we have mania coming out so its dumb to include him when mania will most CERTANTLY get the physics right while they will (I hope) probably do the physics in forces better than generations, it wont feel as natural as in mania. I'm personally ok with it to some degree but for the next sonic game they REALLY should go full 3D and if anything bring back custom characters if they feel they need a safety net of some sort. I love modern sonic a lot more than classic so to see that classic sonic is in both of the new sonic games kinda irks me.

Last edited:
While I understand the argument that people find it redundant that Classic Sonic is in Forces because he is in Mania, it is't right because Sonic Forces has been in development far before Mania was, so they themselves didn't know there would be a full blown Classic Sonic game coming out.

That said, I still don't like the inclusion of Classic Sonic. Seems like a cheap nostalgic shot they are taking because "hey, people liked generations, we must be doing something right. Is it this guy?".

Their mistake is being way too repetitive. Here is a game; count how much times Green Hill Zone was in recent games. Yeah, now you start to see the problem.

While I understand the argument that people find it redundant that Classic Sonic is in Forces because he is in Mania, it is't right because Sonic Forces has been in development far before Mania was, so they themselves didn't know there would be a full blown Classic Sonic game coming out.

That said, I still don't like the inclusion of Classic Sonic. Seems like a cheap nostalgic shot they are taking because "hey, people liked generations, we must be doing something right. Is it this guy?".

Their mistake is being way too repetitive. Here is a game; count how much times Green Hill Zone was in recent games. Yeah, now you start to see the problem.

This. I could not agree more with you. Classic Sonic in Forces seems like a forced (no pun here) addition to the game and I've always felt that way since the initial reveal way back in July of last year and I've only now became more vocal about it since we have now seen more of what Sonic Forces is and how it will play. Throwing Classic Sonic in Green Hill Zone (now with sand), really clashes with the overall theme of the game and feels out of place. If they are wanting to try and have a game where Eggman has finally taken over the world and only you can stop it alongside Sonic and his friends, they should keep up with the theme instead of wondering off here and there. Imagine a game like Resident Evil where you're in the mansion fighting zombies and all of the sudden, the next level is a beach resort with parasailing and water jet ski minigames just because.

On the subject of Classic Sonic in Forces, I've been making a joke since the initial reveal saying that the Sonic Mania plot will somehow tie in with the Sonic Forces plot on how and why Classic Sonic comes back to the Modern world lol. Hopefully this joke doesn't turn into a reality or I will be extremely disappointed.

This. I could not agree more with you. Classic Sonic in Forces seems like a forced (no pun here) addition to the game and I've always felt that way since the initial reveal way back in July of last year and I've only now became more vocal about it since we have now seen more of what Sonic Forces is and how it will play. Throwing Classic Sonic in Green Hill Zone (now with sand), really clashes with the overall theme of the game and feels out of place. If they are wanting to try and have a game where Eggman has finally taken over the world and only you can stop it alongside Sonic and his friends, they should keep up with the theme instead of wondering off here and there. Imagine a game like Resident Evil where you're in the mansion fighting zombies and all of the sudden, the next level is a beach resort with parasailing and water jet ski minigames just because.

On the subject of Classic Sonic in Forces, I've been making a joke since the initial reveal saying that the Sonic Mania plot will somehow tie in with the Sonic Forces plot on how and why Classic Sonic comes back to the Modern world lol. Hopefully this joke doesn't turn into a reality or I will be extremely disappointed.
One thing I always liked up until recently was that classic sonic kinda had his own unique locations and the like, while modern sonic is more story driven and has more realistic locations. While the classics were always (in my eyes) more colorful, vibrant, and distinct, I never minded the more realistic locals in the modern games. This helped differentiate modern from classic as classic is less about story and more about playing through a fun 2D platformer with great momentum based physics and gameplay, and the modern games have more story and has fun 3D gamplay with multiple characters and playstyles.

Also seriously why Green Hill EVERY time? I get that its "iconic" and all but most people who played sonic know about it, so why not throw in either A) A brand new location SIMILLAR to Green Hill (I.E. typical rolling hills, waterfalls, lush vegetation, ect.) or B) if they really want to take us back, Emerald Hill or Angle Island. I would LOVE to see these stages get some sort of modern look to them like Green Hill.

The reason why ProtoBlur feels that Classic stages are more unique and vibrant is because they usually have a more outstanding theme to them, whereas modern sonic stages tend to have a simple theme to them.

Take these levels for example: Metal Harbour from Sonic Adventure 2. Its a military harbour. That's literally it (not saying I don't like it, just saying that its a simple theme). Whereas if you were to look at classic zones, its usually a mix of two things. Oil Ocean, a metallic area will a literal ocean of oil. Stardust Speedway, an Eggman base built with..musical instruments. Ok that's an odd one, but still. Its different.

With this in mind, the Green Hill they present in Forces is a good design idea for a classic theme. There is just one problem. Its Green Hill. Should they have gone with a new, creative approach with it, and created actual new content, it would have been better. Imagine that instead of Green Hill, it were to be a jungle, or a forest, similar to Angel Island (except not so much of a rain forest).

You could say that Green Hill is there to transition Classic Sonic into the Forces storyline and to show that, "wow, something is wrong in Green Hill zone, that's bad stuff and things".

...But, you could do that with this new stage also. Have the typical 3 acts, first act being all jungle/forest like, with a nice smooth gameplay, nothing too radical in it, and then in act 2 suddenly introduce this invading sand appear, show the player that, "holy bleep, this sand stuff is coming out of no where and destroying this nice forest / jungle". Then, because we know this game has cutscenes, you could show after this second act a small cutscene of simply Sonic looking around with his eyebrows kinda down as if he is confused, and reveal the boss, as Sonic gets angry and proceeds to battle it.

This would not only fix the problem of having the ever so repeating Green Hill from appearing, but it would give a new level with a fresh new theme, and give some story explanation while continuing the old formula.

I could get down with something like that. Green Hill is just everywhere nowadays and something new would be a real breath of fresh air.

E3 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tDMLXn99P4

This will be interesting. Absolutely interesting. (New stuff starts at 1:03...oh boy...)

Oh boy, where do I start with this?

Sonic's greatest rivals are now evil this time round?! Well I must say I wasn't quite expecting that result. This will be very interesting to see how they pull this one off with Shadow, Metal Sonic, Zavok and even Chaos. I'm putting a wager on the fact this new villain is responsible for mind-controlling them, joining the enemy side. It definitely screams fan-service and I really hope that they pull this story off well. With all the hype surrounding the characters and the plot, it could make some great character development for all of the cast if they play their cards right.

As far as the other E3 videos are concerned, the gameplay still looks near or less the for Classic and Modern. Though I'm beginning to like the Modern gameplay a bit more than I originally did. The Classic gameplay still looks quite clunky, and to this day I still think it should of been a fully 3D Sonic title. The gameplay for "OC The Character Do Not Steal" has piqued my interest now they've showed more of it. I'm still quite cautious about this, but I'm keeping a close eye on this one for now.

Last edited:
I am so excited to see what Chaos brings for the game. Will he transform with the Chaos Emeralds? We shall see. Modern gameplay looks like the most fun so far!

Honestly it's just cool to see Chaos Zero in HD. He always had a neat character design, just held back by system restraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back