• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

frozenLake's Pit of SRB2 Experiments

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenLake

Hey, I figured I'd make a thread to post the stuff I've been posting on the Discord Server, and believe me, I have a /lot/ of it.

https://gfycat.com/DeterminedRepulsiveCoypu
https://gfycat.com/HairyFaroffDarklingbeetle

First off, we have my experiments in making oddly set up colormap effects, that can't be recreated with the existing way colormap line effects are currently set up: we would need some sort of way to specify a lump to be used instead of defining the hex codes. However, this would not be able to be used in opengl.

f04957w.png

However, something like this would be, where the palette would be changed based on if the camera is inside of a colormaped sector. However, experiments regarding this thus far have failed, resulting in a custom palette with a specific flash map to display when the player is within the sector, and not the camera. I have no idea how to go about fixing this. GIF recordings of this fail, as their palette cannot be changed in the middle of an operation, so I cannot show off this bug without releasing the testwad in question, which is kinda a no-no. (course if you want you could totally pester me for said wad on the discord)

If I end up doing any more bizarre shit, I'll see about posting it here as well. But for now, feel free to comment on my screwing around with palettes and colormaps.

You can totally attach the test wad. Tech experiments, beta work, wads posted for troubleshooting purposes and such are fine for the editing forum.

Double post, but it comes with a semi-substantial update, so...

EB2An9w.png

Anyway, I've been screwing around with the SRB2 Palette, coming up with various things. This here, is a skincolor I made that I personally feel should replace tan or something. If only SRB2 let us make custom skincolors with something like Lua...

This is ideally meant for a potential addition to second color, considering how it lines up with Sonic's skin tone almost perfectly (an orange shade that was sticking out like a sore thumb was swapped with another tan shade) so who knows, maybe I might go off the deep end and make Recolor Simulator 2018.

Figured I'd post this:

O1qqQsQ.png

Its a collection of a bunch of custom skincolors. While the first was made by Dirk for his character, the rest are made by me.

The Faded Yellow Square in the top corner of a color means that that color does not exist on the 2.2 palette. This is only the case for two of those colors, but its still something to note.

Intriuging.

I always thought that putting SRB2Unreduced(TM) pink and rosewood together would make a nice skincolor.

A bit late, but the idea of using flashpals to swap palettes midgame is a brilliant one. You didn't really articulate the problem here- can anyone else weigh on how feasible that is or isn't? Can we not use lua to just trigger a permanent Armageddon shield flash or something?

I'm not an expert or anything, and I haven't done extensive testing on it, but in my experience it's actually fairly easy to do. All you need to do is set the player's player.flashpal to whatever palette you want to use, then set player.flashcount to a number that's greater than 0. Preferably you'd set it every frame while a condition is active, then just set it to 0 when you're done.

The only possible problems I've encountered doing it that way is that the palette changes back for the results screen and whenever the game is paused (either through hitting the pause button or the menu button in single player), and that it interferes with the armageddon shield blast (for obvious reasons).

What he seems to be saying is that while he wants the palette to change inside of a specific sector, the change only occurs whenever the player is inside said sector, rather than the camera, as would make sense. There is the camera_t struct, which seems to contain all the variables you'd need to make the desired effect happen, but I have no clue how it's meant to be referenced.

Flashpals affect HUD elements and changes in them during recording won't be visible in GIFs. That's pretty much it.

Actually, I figured I'd do some reading on that: If SRB2 were to use the local color table in the GIF format, it would be able to display flashpals when recording GIFs.

Of course, that would involve editing the code for SRB2's GIF support, so its probably not happening any time soon. (probably would happen around the same time we get varying delay times based on the FPS of the recording player)

SRB2 already uses the local color table when creating the header for GIF files. The issue is that GIFs are limited to 256 different colours, which of course is only room for one standard palette.

Varying delay times is probably a little more feasible.

To clarify on that, it would have to store the palette every time it varies from the global palette. (so semi-constantly if my water method was used) However, such a change would still be minimal in how much it affects file size.

Edit: threw an image together, I have no way of checking if it used the local palette or not, but this gives an idealized version of how it /should/ work.
aU4grz7.gif

Last edited:
That's cool. It really reminds me of the Classic Sonic games and the Advance series how the HUD changes colors even when the player is submerged in water. I really appreciate the small stuff like that.

(probably would happen around the same time we get varying delay times based on the FPS of the recording player)

Adding variable frame delays would break gfycat, and I'm not too terribly interested on breaking a service I'd wager the majority of people here use to share their movies.

Just a thought.

Okay, have something new.

When joking around in regards to adding more and more sprite rotations, I mentioned something about adding voxel support... and mentioned that it might be easy to fake.

A few minutes later, I got this result.

BigheartedNegativeDrafthorse.gif

If you want to look at the method I used, you can get the wad here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back