• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

Amazing work there, Motor! My apologies for sounding a bit demanding but are you also going to do Luigi next?

By looking at the sprites, it looks most likely that he would do Luigi. However, it's MotorRoach's choice, so anything's possible.

I haven't been able to show a whole lot these past weeks, so here are two Belmonts to keep you guys distracted:

GOIzfLK.png

Yes, I do intend to work on them in the distant future.

Last edited:
Castlevania's really neat art style, and I just really like both of Richter and Simon's designs. Richter was a blast to play as in Symphony of the Night.

unknown.png

Mind you, this isn't anything concrete yet. I'm just experimenting with Sonic's design for an eventual clean up in the future. Hopefully I didn't make it too different.

I'll see what everyone thinks of it first, before I go anywhere with this sprite design.

My first impressions of it are that the head kind of looks a little bit too far back (so it looks a bit like he's pushing his chest forwards or such), the visible middle spike on the head looks a little bit "odd" to me (the top of it drops 1 pixel every pixel while the bottom remains at the same height, for 7 horizontal pixels in a row, which makes it look kind of triangle-like rather than rounded to me), and it sort of looks like his right leg is straight while his left leg isn't, though I know that the latter is just because of perspective and such.

If I have to be nitpicky, his nose looks kind of... weird. The shine on the top of it sort of just looks like part of the eye behind it, and the whitness at the end of it looks off compared to the darker-coloured outline edges around all of the other colours.
And the darkish-greyish spot under the left half of Sonic's eye (meaning the one towards the right of the image) also looks off to me, as it has a colour that I wouldn't really associate with neither the eye nor the muzzle, but I get that having it be whiter could make the muzzle look too slim, while having it "skin-coloured-er" would make the muzzle look too thick. I know that there's probably not much that can be done about this bit, but the long dark strip of colour there still looks a little weird to me.

But other than that, it looks very nice in my opinion (though I can't quite remember what F. Sonic's equivalent standing frame looks like, so I'm just giving my thoughts on what I think of that sprite on its own).

This overall looks much more like the official Sonic artwork and the spines are much more defined here. I like it!

Those new sprites... They reach the level of Naoto Oshima's art!

Despite all that, it looks better than a polishment of SSNTails' sprites, which already looks better than what we currently have in 2.1 (Unless you launch it with FSonic).

Last edited:
With that comparison image, I can definitely say that I prefer the newer one on the right. I still feel everything I posted in my previous reply, but in my opinion, it's still quite better-looking overall than F. Sonic.

I'm kinda sad you guys are straying from the Xtreme look / design of Sonic :< (both this and FSonic).

Last edited:
God, I heckin' love the Jam style aesthetic this sprite has

Unlike just being some blue rat before, now he has style. Spunk. The big COOL.
If this isn't in 2.2, I guess I'll be kinda sad about it

ALSO

if this resprite gets pushed we finally get actual hands, so, I mean,

I think this style much more closely captures the feel of traditional Sonic. The left side gives off a cute and slightly aloof feel, where the right has that spunky and determined attitude that Sonic was always meant to have. From the shape of the spines, the definition on the hands, to the eyes, to the posture, it portrays that attitude perfectly. It also does it in such a way that doesn't go overboard (looking at you, modern Sonic).

Last edited:
I do like the newer design as it reminds me for some reason of some of the artwork in Before/After the Sequel (the head). It also seems to look somewhat like classic sonic transitioning into his dreamcast era as far as the proportions go. And also hands that aren't just blobs? My lucky day.

This sprite looks so much OBJECTIVELY better than F Sonic, it's crazy. And don't get me wrong, I love F Sonic as an improvement from the original sprites, but this is even more of an improvement. idk how dead set you are on finishing these sprites but judging from this one angle I think your efforts will be beyond worth it.

Sonic has more personality and he just looks less stiff and rigid overall. Also, his left hand actually looks like he's just naturally relaxing. And having him stick his chest out is a nice detail, shows how confident he's supposed to be.

Like I said, I love F Sonic to death, but it's hard to deny that this one angle just shows how much sonic's sprites can still be improved.

EDIT: and if it doesn't fit SRB2's style, fine. I'm not saying these should replace sonic's vanilla sprites, I'm just saying I'd love to have this as a standalone character wad if anything.

Last edited:
It's an objectively better sprite in terms of proportions, and I like it far more than the previous sprites, but I have a bias towards the "classic-modern" style of Sonic's design. This sprite is leaning more towards a modern looking Sonic rather than a classic one.

It's definitely better, but you're beginning to blur the line of what style of Sonic you're aiming for now.

It's an objectively better sprite in terms of proportions, and I like it far more than the previous sprites, but I have a bias towards the "classic-modern" style of Sonic's design. This sprite is leaning more towards a modern looking Sonic rather than a classic one.

Well, one of my main references was the 1998/Jam Sonic design, which was right before Sonic Adventure happened, so... you're not wrong!

DTVD6I-V4AARLJt.jpg
DTVDeUQUMAAJ4Zv.jpg

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back