This "Console Wars" Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBreada

Also known as David G.
If you're a gamer, like me, you know, you KNOW, that people have been arguing about the console wars.

The current phase of the console wars is the Wii U VS Xbox One VS PlayStation 4 VS PC.

What's your opinion on this? My opinion is that gamers should have one system as their primary for one set of games and another as their secondary for games they can't get on the primary system.

Uhhh. No, nobody has been arguing about console wars.

There is no console war. None of the above console companies are at any risk of shutting down or going under as a result of the other's market share.

There is no console war. None of the above console companies are at any risk of shutting down or going under as a result of the other's market share.

Actually, they do exist. People are constantly bashing others for what they get, for example I had a friend berate me for my brother getting a PS3 instead of a Xbox 360, and I've had people get angry at me for planning to buy a Wii U instead of an Xbox One or a PS4. Granted, as you said, no console companies are at risk of going under, but people do sit there and debate with console is better, with the typical approach being Sony Vs Microsoft, as the general opinion is Wii/Wii U is for "little girls" (which I call BS on, because apparently none of them have played a Metroid game or even a LoZ game).

Anyway, my stance on this is as long as Nintendo survives, I really do not care. This is due to the fact that all consoles have some pretty cool exclusives, but if Nintendo goes away, gaming will be reduced to PCs and, a quote from my brother, "shittier PC's that have ease of access", as Nintendo seems to be the only console-producing company that really innovates and tries to add something to console gaming other than a standard controller I can easily connect to my PC with games that I can more than likely get on steam for less money.

What Zarrotsu's getting at is that people seem to have a different definition on what a "console war" actually is. Every console is working off of solid ground now. It's not like the 16-bit or 64-bit eras where consoles were popping up left and right trying to get in on the action. Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony have all stabilized into the marketplace and are here to stay. Even if the XBONE is a piece of shit and the WiiU has like no games.

If we're talking the "which console is better" verbal console war, it's not even worth entertaining. It's all petty bullshit that fans of each company use to feel superior about themselves. Personally, I just buy Nintendo consoles because they have all the brands I like. (Also because I was sick of the Wii and needed the next up so I could faze it out)

I don't really think there's much of an ongoing console war going on. But there is definitely a limited supply of dollars that gamers can afford to spend on them, so it makes it important to consider which console you really want to buy.

I feel like this used to be less of an issue in the Gamecube, PS2, X-Box days, when all three of the consoles on the market were roughly equal in terms of gaming capabilities and ports between the three ran wild. Nowadays, Nintendo is kind of stuck with a home console that's fallen behind in terms of such capabilities, so I know the other two are going to get games the Wii-U can't necessarily handle / can't get a good port of.

This kind of frustrates me. I don't play many video games any more, but I still am pretty loyal to Nintendo (I just bought a 2DS. It's been my first console purchase in five years). I love the first-party games on Nintendo systems, but ColbaltBW is right; The selection of games (especially, inexplicably, on the 2DS's Virtual Console) is relatively pathetic.

RE:ZarroTsu

You obviously don't go on My Nintendo News. There are very heated console wars, with people saying the Wii U is "last gen" (which it's not) and worshipping the PlayStation and Xbox.

People on the internet talking hyperbole? Say it isn't so!

In all seriousness, people have been saying bullshit about the consoles they don't own since video game systems were a thing. This is a simple example of people wanting the system they own to be the best, since most kids can't afford both consoles. Hence, they take "sides" in a non-existent "war" to try to convince themselves that they made the correct choice, when in reality at this point all of the systems have merit. It's not like there's shit like the Jaguar or 32X on the market anymore =P

It's not like there's shit like the Jaguar or 32X on the market anymore =P
1OuyaUnboxing.jpg

This kind of frustrates me. I don't play many video games any more, but I still am pretty loyal to Nintendo (I just bought a 2DS. It's been my first console purchase in five years). I love the first-party games on Nintendo systems, but ColbaltBW is right; The selection of games (especially, inexplicably, on the 2DS's Virtual Console) is relatively pathetic.

Their problem is that they keep trying to come up with crazy new gimmicks to keep the experience fresh that it overshadows the practicality of designing games for the system. It's why all you saw at Best Buy was shovelware and babyware whenever the Wii was still relevant. WiiU is a great system, but when the technology required to produce it jacks up the price by $100 and you have no first-party games to support it at launch, third party isn't going to want to jump on that boat.

RE: CobaltBW

Their problem is that they keep trying to come up with crazy new gimmicks to keep the experience fresh that it overshadows the practicality of designing games for the system. It's why all you saw at Best Buy was shovelware and babyware whenever the Wii was still relevant. WiiU is a great system, but when the technology required to produce it jacks up the price by $100 and you have no first-party games to support it at launch, third party isn't going to want to jump on that boat.

I own a Wii U, as I may have said earlier, and I am disappointed with the selection of games for that system. Not even our boy Sonic has it good on the U, except maybe the definitive port of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed.

The Wii U, however, as of E3, seems to be picking up, with new games like Splatoon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8,et cetera.

The problem with Nintendo is that I feel they abandoned power for fun. Sometimes you need power FOR fun.

Sometimes you need power FOR fun.
As someone who's been playing my SNES almost exclusively over the last few months, I can tell you very strongly that's completely silly. Creative and good game design trumps powerful systems now just as it did 20 years ago. The PS2 was significantly weaker than the GCN and the XBox, yet the PS2 went on to be the winner of its generation by a huge margin because it had the best library. The Wii U's problem right now (and for that matter, the XBone and PS4's problem right now) is the lack of system selling software. This E3's basic message for ALL systems was the systems attempting to fix that problem. We'll find out in a few more years who actually succeeded, but it's way to early to call at this point.

Okay, I'll say it again.

This is not a console war.

This is picking fights for the sake of picking fights. Telling people they're wrong, saying you're better, because of a toy you had your mom buy for $400.

How many people's jobs are lost because you bought that console? Because others bought that console? How many people have actually, literally, DIED because of it?

This isn't a console war. This is trolling.

How many people's jobs are lost because you bought that console? Because others bought that console? How many people have actually, literally, DIED because of it?

This isn't a console war. This is trolling.
I'm pretty sure the term "console war" doesn't mean to imply actual warfare. The concept leans more towards the idea that each side thinks that it is right and all others are wrong.

What Zarrotsu's getting at is that people seem to have a different definition on what a "console war" actually is.

I feel like we're going full circle here guys, are we going full circle?

There's a difference between the market saturation now and the saturation fifteen-twenty years ago.

I feel like we're going full circle here guys, are we going full circle?

Honestly it's more like going full retard.

ZarroTsu, it's just a name for it. It's sort of like Guerilla Warfare. There are no actual gorillas involved. (hopefully)

and to be fair people totally got shot up when ps3s were released, so

checkmate

Console War

Xbox One, Playstation 4, Nintendo Wii U

Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo

USA, Japan, Japan(otherside)

BattleField: Europe

My Story: I am Sir Charles of Cherry-Gloves, I'm a third star general and has receive this rank after playing every Call of Duty game before Black Ops. Also playing every Halo game. I've also reach top 1000 leader boards without using any hacks or tools. I have 1,000 soldiers that are 10 year old boys capable of going into war against the PSboys and Uers.

I have 2 lieutenants Lt. Billy and Lt. Jimmy(I gave them these names because they change their gamer-tag every week). With this rank, I can make these troops do anything without permission from my officials.

I plan on attacking Namco Bandai's HQ, I want revenge on what they did to me on tales of vesperia.

Tales of Vesperia is an JRPG that was exclusive to the Xbox 360, some consider it the best of it's series (funny being only for Xbox for a while). However our enemies received a Better version of the game. Where everyone had more abilities and new Mystic Artes and new weapons NEW EVERYTHING. When I saw this, I was... I was s shock I didn't know how to react though perhaps they would release another version to Xbox again which they didn't. I was still sad however it made me mad and the anger when i saw a video of a JPN Xbox 360 ToV and Yuri did another Mystic Arte.

My troops said I'm going through five stages of grief which I could careless, I want Namco to know that they shouldn't mess with us we may not like JRPG but there is a group that does! After that, I plan taking over Square Enix Europe it's a big task, however if I'm capable I will force Square Enix to tell us their release date for FFXV and KH3. These are task that I'm doing for myself, It's a selfish task, but it's the path I've chosen.

Two Years Later

I've retired now, took me two years to learn how stupid this war was. I've taken revenge over Namco Bandai with the help of WiiUers. They've told me their story of the Tales of Graces that they waited and Namco fucked it up and re-released on the PS3. It made me even madder, after tanking revenge I've accepted the truth. Then on the raid to attack Square Enix Europe they've betrayed us by informing Square Enix they we'll be doing a nightraid. I lost a good 360 soldiers and both of my favorite lieutenant Lt.Bobby and Lt.Johnny. However I did complete my mission, I even attack Sega to a position to where they finally cancel Sonic Boom.

I now live in Bellevue, Washington a neutral site due to Valve HQ. I keep my xbox on my Closet to remind myself of my foolish days. I've accepted who I am and know that I'll never go back to the mess(I'm actually keeping when FFXV comes out).

The End of My Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back