Wad Editing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFireTheHedgeHo

The Uncontrollable Flame
Every time I go into XWE and add a new lump, I seem to have to move up the map or the lump wont work as much.
But more often now than ever i seem to to keep getting my mapped,well in short,F-ed up.
Heres what it looks Like before I move it up over a certain lump:
WtfBefore.png

Now heres what it looks like AFTER I move it up:
WtfAfter.png

And then I Undo the action and Open it in DB to make sure nothing happened to the map itself and its just XWE screwing with me

But as recently always, this is what happens to it in DB:
WtfFull.png

Can someone Help me out here, because I have no idea whats happening

XWE is known to corrupt wads at the drop of a hat, and there often isn't any rhyme or reason to when it happens, or who it happens to. SLADE3 is a generally a better choice for lump management.

I use SLumped it's old but it works good
Yes, but SLADE3 works just as well, has none of hits bugs, all of its features, and more features. There's no reason to use SLumpEd (except if SLADE isn't working for you, which appears to happen to a few people).

Well thanks for the recommendations, ill see if I can use SLADE.
*Edit* And this is why I make a Copy, then I make a copy of that copy,and so on and so forth.

*EDIT2* Now there are 2 SLADE files to DL
SLADE v3.0.2-Sources. Also contains project files for VS2005, VS2010, CodeLite and CMake.
SLADE v3.0.2 Windows installer, Visual C++ 2010 runtimes required
Do i need both of these or just one and if so which one?
Also whats Visual C++ 2010 runtimes?

Last edited:
*EDIT2* Now there are 2 SLADE files to DL
SLADE v3.0.2-Sources. Also contains project files for VS2005, VS2010, CodeLite and CMake.
SLADE v3.0.2 Windows installer, Visual C++ 2010 runtimes required
Do i need both of these or just one and if so which one?
Also whats Visual C++ 2010 runtimes?
You only need the Windows installer, not the source And Visual C++ 2010 is a development environment that the creator used to write the program. It isn't of interest to you besides the fact that you need it to run SLADE. There should be a download link somewhere on that page.

You only need the Windows installer, not the source And Visual C++ 2010 is a development environment that the creator used to write the program. It isn't of interest to you besides the fact that you need it to run SLADE. There should be a download link somewhere on that page.

Thank You.
Im gonna keep the both of XWE and Slade.
Ones for lump adding the others for custom TEXTURE adding.

Any particular reason you guys are using XWE as a scapegoat in the case of user error?

The MAP## marker stores absolutely no map information. All it does is tell the game/editor "hey, the next few THINGS/TEXTURES/SECTORS/etc. lumps belong to this map." Since you've moved the marker without moving anything else relating to the map, you've pretty much screwed everything related to that map up.

Thank you. I was going to point that out myself, but then the topic so quickly derailed into an all-too-frequent XWE bash that I just sighed and moved on ahead.

Any specific reason why you're using XWE to add lumps?
I dont know any other ways to add lumps

The MAP## marker stores absolutely no map information. All it does is tell the game/editor "hey, the next few THINGS/TEXTURES/SECTORS/etc. lumps belong to this map." Since you've moved the marker without moving anything else relating to the map, you've pretty much screwed everything related to that map up.
So technically XWE is the troll of all of the lump editors?

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i466/AzureBlueBlur/WTH.png
WTH.png

Really....? I already did that twice.

Last edited:
I dont know any other ways to add lumps
Huh? Obviously, SLADE can add lumps too. No need to use XWE just for that.

So technically XWE is the troll of all of the lump editors?
No, this happens with any lump editor. Don't disrupt the order of the map lumps in any way.

Really....? I already did that twice.
Are you sure you installed Visual Runtime? And if you did that, are you sure the file in question is actually on your computer?

Are you sure you installed Visual Runtime? And if you did that, are you sure the file in question is actually on your computer?
Well apparently I need to download it again, no?

No, this happens with any lump editor. Don't disrupt the order of the map lumps in any way.
Everytime I load the wad in XWE, AND THEN into doombuilder, its shows the name of the lump and not the map itself, so then I go back into XWE to bring a lump down, and I simply notice that my map is at the bottom of the contents of the wad and everytime I move it back up, it either does the following errors or it turns up fine.

tl;dr - its a 50 % chance my wad will get messed up beyond repair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back