Jazz Attack (mtf_jazzattack-v1c.wad) v1c Released! (3/9/08)

What should I do next?

• Make more match maps!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make some circuit maps!

• Make some CTF maps!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially since its a brand new link. =/

I assume that EMPEROR METALLIX was talking about the link for the older version of this level pack. Maybe his cookies are screwed or something...

Hmmm... lets see what I can say about your CTF levels Jazz...

(MAPB0) Sky Shrine: Like you said, nothing special. Which is alright here. I like how you can hide around the lower floor of the main shrine because no one is there. Rail-Auto? I love it really, but many people don't. Does that really work for this level? And, like I said when I first tried out this level with you, there is too much green. I suggest you re-theme the level, perhaps using DSZ textures and taking a path in themeing similar to AGZ.

(MAPB1) Crazy Castles: The best CTF level in this pack. Period. Full of gimmicks, but awesome no less. I see you have added windows since my last visit, to make it easier to see appoarching enemies. Maybe those windows were a bad idea on my part, because they kill the purpose of the door. Maybe you can put stain-glass windows in instead, so you can't crawl into the castle through the windows. I don't know. Just fix the windows. The middle of the stage also leaves something to be desired for.
Nether the less, this level is a blast to in.

(MAPB2) Railsniper Rampage: I like the Railsniper Range theme. Really. But it has one flaw. And that is the fact that the levels you've made with this theme have about 10 rail rings. Which is way too many for one level. This level is also quite small. It needs some more bulk I guess. It also needs more paths. It just felt too linear to me. If you bring down the amount of rail rings, make the length between the two bases longer, and add extra paths, you would have a cool level here.

(MAPB3) Frozen River: This level has it's fair share of problems as well. For one thing, the bridge in the middle is WAY too large. I suggest making it smaller. It would also be cool if parts of it broke off. You should also put some ice in this level. A level with the name "Frozen River" needs ice. Like Railsniper Range, this level needs more bulk. There is barely anything between the two bases. Add stuff like rocks, ice, caves, etc.
The bases are just too close to each other. This level needs some major changes.

(MAPB4) Fire Eye: Boring, boring, BORING! This level is worst than Frozen River, and that is bad. Like the past two levels, the bases are too close. This level is bland. Very bland. Rising lava is old. Very old. What about the lava level ideas we where talking about? Lava geyers throwing up rocks would be so perfect for a level like this. Too small. Yes, your lava themed match level is bigger than this. CTF levels are supposed to be bigger than match levels. There is no place to hide with the flag in this level. Heck, there is only one way to get into the base and that is going straight forward. I need to check, but I think the Level Design 101 talks about this issue in CTF levels. I don't want to be extremely mean here, but I suggest completely re-doing this level.

There is my 2 cents for you. (Or perhaps $50)

Well, thanks for your $50.

Sky Shrine: I wanted to change the textures of Sky Shrine, but for this release I decided to leave them as they were, as I couldn't decide whether to go with DSZ textures, or something else. Rail-Auto works for me, its a huge map, plenty of places to hide from it, and a good range to use it.

Crazy Castles: I thank you for your compliments, the reason why the windows are open is because Sonic players have no way to get inside the castle if the front door is closed without windows. I would have to find another way to let Sonic into the castle in order to prevent an imbalance, which should be worked out next release.

Railsniper Rampage: I understand the complaint about too many Rails in the map, but trust me, 12 spawns is fine. The equivalent match map has at least 14, and there is no trouble with balance. I'm thinking to expand the mountains in the middle in order to give the map a few extra paths, and eliminating the linearity problem.

Frozen River: The bridge will be shrunk in the next release. Falling and floating chunks can be arranged. Ice floaters will be also added, I completely forgot about it, thanks. In its current incarnation, despite the fact that it is a small CTF map, it is not too easy to get the flag from one end to the other, considering the only ways across the river put you in serious peril. I will consider how to stretch the map and add some cave networks, kind of like Lava Lake...

Fire Eye: This level doesn't need a redo in my opinion, there are places to hide, you just need to look.

The rising and falling lava does raise floating blocks, much like the idea we discussed. This unfortunately is the one map we disagree on.

There are two paths across Fire Eye, one is across the floating blocks when the lava is up, and across the floor when the lava is down. In order to fire a Rail down into the crater, you must be in an extremely exposed position on top of one of the towers next to each base. Also when the lava is down, the floaters stay on the ground and can be utilized as cover. Either way, the only way the rails can be easily used is to fire across to the other base, which case they also have 2 rail spawns and can snipe back. Not to mention that there is a fire shield hidden in the crater somewhere and 2 auto ring spawns, only accessible with a fire shield while the lava is up.

Take a chance to actually play this map on my server with me, and I think I can change your mind.

Com, thank you for your comments, I appreciate them.

lol i remeber u jazz i came on ur server and put my self jazz cuz dats one of my screen names(then i got banned from the server)

hey

hey this is jazz2 well just saying he is now the most hated person on the internet and im sorry that he did not read your rules to tell the truth i dont want him to commit suicide sunday morning so please help!(he is going to kill himself for some other past refrences).

What the hell is wrong with the internet these days? Yes, it's completely logical to kill yourself over being banned from a server for a certain game. Hm, yes. Sunday morning you say? So long, then.

Hmm, interesting, I have fans!

A.K.A people who hate me because they were idiots on my server and got their sorry rumps slammed by my trusty banhammer.

However, future posts here should be about my level pack and how I can improve my mapping skills, not about discussing killing yourself over the fact that you aren't intelligent enough to play on my server.

Criticism time. Sorry for the bump, but I really need to do this.

Crystal Caves:
Meh. The map has some bland areas that need filling, and the ice is icky. Try to add some other floor in the ice room besides ice for some traction. Possibly change some layout

Vertical Forest:
Eww... Doing copy/paste for this map was a very bad idea. Make each tree separately with different heights, shapes, and other routes besides travel by spring. The trees and all places to stand on them are too small as well. Also, fill up the bottom area.

Dark Town:
The map would be fine, except the amount of detail used kills the flow. Either open it up more, or start killing things. Also, add some blue springs to get over the cars.

Rail Sniper Range:
Major spring abuse. Try things like upward current/negative gravity.

Deathmatch Arena:
Add some scenery and some springs other than the ones in the water. I'm very happy to see some rings, though.

Sonic st The Disco:
Flat and ugly. It needs to die.

Island Hop:
More spring abuse. Redesign the boats, and add some floating platforms so the host doesn't have to add water run characters.

Lava Lake:
I've never liked this map. Expand the cliffs and add more springs in the lava.

Goo Lagoon:
It was meh. No real problems, but I don't see a point to the map.

Space Platform:
Death pits, spring abuse, copy/pastes, and "cover." Really bad. Start from scratch, please.

CTF break.

Sky Shrine:
More "cover," needless death pit, and the bases feel tagged on. Make a few modifications, and this would make an interesting match stage, though.

Crazy Castles:
Nice idea, however the switches in the bases should only be able to be activated by their team.

Rail Sniper Rampage:
This either fails horribly, or does what it does so well that the game is at a standstill: zero-zero.

Frozen River:
10 seconds from base to base, with nothing but running and springs. EPICFAIL

FireEye:
Read an understand....

on Edge said:
Criticism time. Sorry for the bump, but I really need to do this.

Sorry for a bump? Its about time someone else commented.

on Edge said:
Crystal Caves:
Meh. The map has some bland areas that need filling, and the ice is icky. Try to add some other floor in the ice room besides ice for some traction. Possibly change some layout

This map is in for a rework in the version after next. I have other bugfixes I need to do before that however. A changed middle layout is noted, added to my list.

on Edge said:
Vertical Forest:
Eww... Doing copy/paste for this map was a very bad idea. Make each tree separately with different heights, shapes, and other routes besides travel by spring. The trees and all places to stand on them are too small as well. Also, fill up the bottom area.

This is one of the maps that I need to modify in order to give the trees more use. Most of the fighting is concentrated to the ground, in which case , you are right, it does need more cover.

on Edge said:
Dark Town:
The map would be fine, except the amount of detail used kills the flow. Either open it up more, or start killing things. Also, add some blue springs to get over the cars.

Once again, version after next. I am already planning on opening up the level more. The elimination of half the houses and the copy/paste was a kludge to get the first version of this pack out.

on Edge said:
Rail Sniper Range:
Major spring abuse. Try things like upward current/negative gravity.

I see no problems with the springs on this map.

If you have ever played this map in an actual netgame, you would realize the usefulness of these springs to not only advance levels on the mountain, but to also dodge rail shots.

If you have any further concerns about this, feel free to come on over to my server. My schedule is in the front page of my forums.

on Edge said:
Deathmatch Arena:
Add some scenery and some springs other than the ones in the water. I'm very happy to see some rings, though.

Already reworked this map for next version. You can check out a video of the progress here.

on Edge said:
Sonic at The Disco:
Flat and ugly. It needs to die.

Currently being reworked. This map was a rush job and I know it. The next version will be greatly improved.

on Edge said:
Island Hop:
More spring abuse. Redesign the boats, and add some floating platforms so the host doesn't have to add water run characters.

Once again, I don't understand why this map is guilty of spring abuse. How may I redesign the boats? What is flawed about them?

Also, if you use the springs correctly, you don't need floating platforms, or water-run characters.

on Edge said:
Lava Lake:
I've never liked this map. Expand the cliffs and add more springs in the lava.

The plan was a partial redesign of the lake floor to make it shallower, more like Island Hop.

I would appreciate it though if you explain in further detail why you dislike this level.

on Edge said:
Goo Lagoon:
It was meh. No real problems, but I don't see a point to the map.

That comment doesn't help me at all. How may I give this map a "point?"

on Edge said:
Space Platform:
Death pits, spring abuse, copy/pastes, and "cover." Really bad. Start from scratch, please.

No idea what I'm going to do with this one. I'll come back to this map later.

on Edge said:
Sky Shrine:
More "cover," needless death pit, and the bases feel tagged on. Make a few modifications, and this would make an interesting match stage, though.

Noted. I'll see what I can do about the "tagged on" quality of the bases. This map however will remain a CTF map, along with the death pit.

on Edge said:
Crazy Castles:
Nice idea, however the switches in the bases should only be able to be activated by their team.

That would make this map more of a dead-lock than it already is. Once again, I don't know how I am going to improve this map yet.

on Edge said:
Rail Sniper Rampage:
This either fails horribly, or does what it does so well that the game is at a standstill: zero-zero.

The problem I saw in this map was the fact that it was way too linear. Something to work on for the version after next.

on Edge said:
Frozen River:
10 seconds from base to base, with nothing but running and springs. EPICFAIL

This is being reworked for the next version, as stated before in this topic.

on Edge said:

Same as above. This is being reworked for next version.

My list of remaining tasks is detailed in my sig, if you wish to take a look at them. So, I have a few more things to add to the list.

Thanks for your time.

Jazz said:
Once again, I don't understand why this map is guilty of spring abuse. How may I redesign the boats? What is flawed about them?
Springs are the only real means of travel for Sonic, which is dependent mostly on items. If you're in a sticky situation, it doesn't pan out to well. He needs platforms to jump on. The boats are too hard to get out of. Try filling it with less water, or something.

Jazz said:
I would appreciate it though if you explain in further detail why you dislike this level.
The playing field is sectioned into 3 parts, mainly. I suppose this is intentional, but it fells wrong.

Jazz said:
That comment doesn't help me at all. How may I give this map a "point?"
It's mainly just pumping sewage from a small, flat, elevated area, down into a place that's a little more open, and uses spring gimmicks to use transportation. You need more to do, and maybe some more factory stuff.

Jazz said:
That would make this map more of a dead-lock than it already is. Once again, I don't know how I am going to improve this map yet.
Try adding some extra ways in, like air holes or windows.

I look forward to your next release, and will see about playing in your server soon.

Alright, thanks for clearing that stuff up. Now I have a little more to work with.

Thanks again.

Wow Jazz, this is simply amazing, wonderful... o.o I'm speechless.

Hopefully this time I can beat you at some of them! (Levels I mean.)

Well, I thank you for the compliments.

However, I can still use criticism, things I can use to make these maps better.

I only tried the CTF levels, and some match ones, if I remember correctly, these are the ones I tried. Some good and bad points.

CTF

Frozen River - like the theme, but it's way too short, and you can make it to bases there and back without springs (or you can use them) and it's not much of a challenge, try adding a challenge, or make it bigger at least =/.
I rate it 5/10

Fire Eye - I did not like this one at all. It was even shorter than Frozen River, and there's no where to hide, and as what Com said, there is only 1 - 2 ways through to the bases, and that is going straight forward, and also a fire sheild, if you can find it which most players can't find. If you don't want to change it, that's your choice since you are the map maker, but to me, this definetely needs a revamp D:. I rate it 2.5/10

Crazy Castles - I enjoyed this one, I liked how there is different gimmicks, and different ways of outrunning your oppenments in netgames. The only flaw I say is when the door is shut, and when 1 platform is in the air, and one is on the floor, if they have the flag, they can't find a way of getting out, excepts the tight gaps in between the walls near the base you can just get through. Other from that, great map. =P

Railsniper range CTF version - This one was quite good, but you need to remove a few rail rings, I saw about 7, other from that, no other complaints. 7/10

Sky Shrine - Need to test.

Match maps.

Railsniper Range match version - Good, no complaints, except remove a few item boxes at the top of the big pillar, they seem a bit too close to each other, or spread them out.

All other maps - need to test.

HYPERKNUX said:
Frozen River - like the theme, but it's way too short, and you can make it to bases there and back without springs (or you can use them) and it's not much of a challenge, try adding a challenge, or make it bigger at least =/.
I rate it 5/10

Already on the list. It will be made bigger as you say, and include other features that I stated when I responded to Com's post.

HYPERKNUX said:
Fire Eye - I did not like this one at all. It was even shorter than Frozen River, and there's no where to hide, and as what Com said, there is only 1 - 2 ways through to the bases, and that is going straight forward, and also a fire sheild, if you can find it which most players can't find. If you don't want to change it, that's your choice since you are the map maker, but to me, this definetely needs a revamp D:. I rate it 2.5/10

This is getting a revamp. I smelled the rot in this one almost immediately after I released version 1a. The concept will be the same, but the level itself will get a "makeover"

HYPERKNUX said:
Crazy Castles - I enjoyed this one, I liked how there is different gimmicks, and different ways of outrunning your oppenments in netgames. The only flaw I say is when the door is shut, and when 1 platform is in the air, and one is on the floor, if they have the flag, they can't find a way of getting out, excepts the tight gaps in between the walls near the base you can just get through. Other from that, great map. =P

Yeah, I still need to figure out how to balance the windows. They were added as an afterthought. I'll add a consideration of those windows to my list.

HYPERKNUX said:
Railsniper range CTF version - This one was quite good, but you need to remove a few rail rings, I saw about 7, other from that, no other complaints. 7/10

This is still being tested in terms of weapon balance. From recent tests, the amount of Rail rings is not a problem, but I will keep an eye on it.

HYPERKNUX said:
Railsniper Range match version - Good, no complaints, except remove a few item boxes at the top of the big pillar, they seem a bit too close to each other, or spread them out.

I thought I already did that. Maybe you are looking at an older version?

Either way, thanks for the comments.

Any specifics?

Go ahead and toss them my way and I'll add them on my list of things to fix for next version.

Version 1b released! Go get it on the first post.

Version 1a had 471 downloads at the time of this release. Good stuff.

*Release Details*

MAPA4 - Deathmatch Arena

Added a middle which changes themes as the battle rages on. Also added a bunch of extras in the inside of the arena itself as well.

MAPA5 - Sonic at the Disco

Added a DJ box and bar/lounges on each end. Basically expanded the map and added more features to improve flow. Also features the ability to "play DJ" by using music-changing buttons in the DJ box.

MAPB3 - Frozen River

Reorganized and expanded the map horizontally so that getting the flag from one side to the other is more than a short jump. Bridge has crumbling chunks, river sports ice floes and other changes.

MAPB4 - Fire Eye

Kept the middle the same, changed the rest. There are now two branching cave systems for each base, along with caverns snaking throughout both sides. Some caverns also come in contact with the lava table, so watch out!

MAPB5 - Woods of War

A CTF map based on the Vertical Forest theme. Sports a center tree filled with rings and other goodies.

MAPB7 - Asteroid Belt

A radical idea. Asteroids abound, floating in deep space. Being above an asteroid causes one to be pulled down toward it. Being below an asteroid causes on to be pulled upward toward it. Use the gravity to slingshot yourself from asteroid to asteroid and capture the other team's flag.

MAPB8 - Silica Temple

An expansive sand temple. A huge middle chamber surrounded by a ring of smaller tunnels. Try to use the balance between wide and narrow spaces to your advantage!

MAPB9 - Sunken Sanctuary

A completely underwater level with expansive cave networks making up each team's base. Exit the caves to be faced with an enormous temple holding none other than the Master Emerald itself, submerged in the sea.

Hope you all enjoy the new and the improved levels, can't wait to get to that criticism. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back