What's your experience with SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairebun

Community Noise Maker
Sonic Team Junior
As you might have seen on the SigSev Cafe: http://www.sigsevcafe.com/mb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1723

This is simply a public survey I'm running so that we can get to know the whole SRB2 community a little better. There's just four questions I have here to ask, but feel free to skip any of the questions you don't feel like answering or may be uncomfortable with.

1. How'd you learn about SRB2?
2. What do you like most about the game?
3. Generally, what kind of friends/foes/acquaintances do you usually make in the SRB2 community?
4. What is your opinion of the SRB2 community? What do you like most about it, and what bothers you the worst?

So, what's your story?

1. Randomly browsing a website called "Gamehippo" for fangames that would keep me entertained for five minutes was a hobby of mine several years ago. SRB2 just happened to keep me entertained for a bit longer than expected. (Actually, when I just skimmed past the description, I at first thought it was some weird FPS about destroying androids or something. The thought of a Doom mod actually being a Sonic game was too weird.)

2. Moddability of course.

3. I'm actually not sure I'd say I keep too many SRB2 community friends close, but I do find that the people I do speak on friendly terms with from here are always either fairly intelligent, or **** retarded.

4. At times it feels like everyone's either **** elitist, or **** retarded. But recently it does seem that we've been moving a bit closer to a middle ground. I honestly think that most people ask for too much when they wish for an intelligent community surrounding a moddable 3D Sonic fangame.

Blue Warrior said:
As you might have seen on the SigSev Cafe: http://www.sigsevcafe.com/mb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1723

This is simply a public survey I'm running so that we can get to know the whole SRB2 community a little better. There's just four questions I have here to ask, but feel free to skip any of the questions you don't feel like answering or may be uncomfortable with.

3. Generally, what kind of friends/foes/acquaintances do you usually make in the SRB2 community?
4. What is your opinion of the SRB2 community? What do you like most about it, and what bothers you the worst?

So, what's your story?
No, don't post it here! This way people won't come to the Sigsev Cafe for the survey! D=

This is not a MB for advertising stuff anyways. If Blue Warrior did that, He would be breaking a MB rule, Kaysakado. Plus, if you want more people to come to your forum, do it without advertising it on this one, thanks.

Copy and Paste:

1. A friend told me about it, the story goes farther from there, but in short, he told me about the site, and I took the rest into my own hands.

2.I can do basicly anything in it, I'm free to do what I want, when I want, which is usually what I want from most games. (Lol, repetitiveness.)

3.Friends are people who seem to understand what I like, and don't act badass, or think that they are always right, I always try to prove those people wrong.

4. At first, I thought the community was pretty cool, now, I don't know what to say about it......its all screwy now.

I said:
1. Caiman.us.
2. I hate SRB2, actually.
3. Friends don't exist on the internet. There really isn't anyone that has much intelligence on servers
4.The community is cool, at least now, since the asdf is gone.

I don't really like the game at all. The forum's the attraction. Unless 1.1 changes my mind, my mind won't change.

1. I was browsing the DCEmulation forums some years back and found a topic discussing the Dreamcast port of SRB2.
2. Custom level packs and characters add even further to it's replayability. The single player experience alone is rarely boring.
3. Most that I've had contact with here are usually very friendly and helpful, I haven't met anyone who was a total @$$.
4. Even after I get bored of SRB2, I'll never be tired of being a part of this community. This is the first MB I've visited where I feel like I have a lot in common with its members. I know some users here can go on about the lack of intelligence here, but it's shaping up as more users start putting real effort into their content.

-Edited because it was too lengthy O_o

-----

1. Sonic Vegemite.
2. Level creation, and the OLDC.
3. Level designers, and particularly mature people. Also, good Wiki editors.
4. The natural immaturity of the community has caused the MB rules to be particularly strict, resulting in a rather mature, enjoyable MB.

Blue Warrior said:

So, what's your story?
Heh, simple one:
1. From youtube when I typed in "Sonic's worst nightmare". Eblo has a video of amy(s) chasing sonic with Avril Lavinge singing
2. IT"S SONIC!!! And I'm a Sonic disciple. I've been watching/playing sonic since I was 5. Although my memory sucks and I don't remember half of the oldschool characters.
3. I've made many friends. The only enemy I have is this grey tails that joins my netgames. He picks me up (if I break free, he grabs me again), and he drops me into hazardous surfaces (acid, robots, etc)
4. Everyone here has more civilization than all of Central Illinois. What bothers me is people like Ash who deliberately go out of their way to be an *** to people.

And that's my story

1. From Wikipedia, actually, when the old SRB2 Wikipedia article was still up.
2. The fact that it's multi-platform, open source and easily customisable.
3. I've made quite a few friends, a few of them don't play SRB2 or map for it anymore though, which is a shame.
4. The SRB2 forum users, most of them are idiotic talentless n00bs. =P The people in the IRC channel however, most of them are MUCH more intelligent and better at custom content.

I wouldn't have checked SigSev, so I think posting the survey here is a better way to be able to inventory the population at large.

1. I learned about SRB2 from the old Wikipedia article, that inevitably was deleted because Wikipedia sucks.

2. The best part about the game is playing it, obviously. And as much as I like creating levels and stuff, I make levels to play them.

3. The people I like talking to in the community are the people who can actually keep a conversation going about something slightly interesting. (Read: FoxBlitzz arguing about random operating systems does not count.)

4. My favorite part of the community is being able to say "Here's my level. Tell me what you think." And, afterwards, actually hearing some feedback that helps me improve the level and make it better.

The worst part of the community was when I poured my soul out into NSZ2 and the community essentially blew me off and didn't put in the time to tell me something that would've helped out my future levels.

1. I was looking on google for sonic fan-games and came across it.

2. When I found out how to play online, I was SO happy and played a lot for the rest of that week. So, yeah, I like netgames. I also like wads, socs, and other modifications.

3. There's not many people to make freinds with, now. I'm staying in the group i'm in now. But there's plenty of people to make foes.

4. The community seems better than other places. There's more regulation and less idiots. There are still idiots; you can't get rid of them for good. There's beginning to be more and more people joining who always want to argue and act like assholes, on one hand. On the other, some people are joining, disscussing what they're supposed to disscuss, and making wads and mods for the rest of the community to enjoy. I still like the community and disscussing things from SRB2 and Video Games to general disscussion.

1. SSRG, if my memory serves me well.
2. It's a Sonic fangame that doesn't outright suck, and it's in 3D.
3. I've befriended most of my fellow oldbies, amongst some others. I've made a few foes, but at least I can count them on just one hand.
4. The community was amazing during the 4.35 and 1.08 eras. All of the oldbies were just beginning their lives on the internet. It was just a great time to be around, really. You could count the number of banned users on one hand (some people knew them by heart!), the rules were structured quite differently, and so on and so forth. There were so many bright minds back then, so many faces in the talent pool...

I partially credit the not-as-bad-as-they-are-now string of Sonic games that were released at the time. In fact, I'll dare to say it - Sonic didn't totally suck back then.

Unfortunately, things change, and the community is no exception. It's ironic, really...we all anticipated 1.09 for so long, and yet it had quite a negative long-term effect on the community, and its morale. It's certainly affected this place for the worst, with most of those in the previously mentioned "talent pool" leaving for more intelligent communities. Considering the direction SEGA has taken the Sonic franchise (see: Shadow the hedgehog, Sonic 2k6), not many bright faces have racked up enough nerve to even consider giving a second glance to this decaying community.

Now, I can't be a cynic the entire time. There HAS been a noticable resurge in familiar faces over the last little while, and ♪ I've got to admit it's getting better, A little better all the time...

Blue Warrior said:

1. BlazeHedgehog's SASRB2 Youtube video.
2. Modifications and multiplayer.
3. Most of my community contact has been with the people I have played the game with or against during my time hosting servers. Also my editing work has drawn the attention of a few people who do an excellent job of telling me when I produce crappy work. =)
4. After taking a break from this community a few months ago, I came up with mixed results. The SRB2 community has about the same idiot content as every other, except the SRB2 community is managed much more tightly. As far as I'm concerned, my above aforementioned contacts are the reason why I stick around. =P

1. I was browsing sega forums one day when some user posted it. I think it was around 1.08 or something.
2. The online, making your own stuff for it.
3. Not really sure.
4. Don't really have an answer for this one.

It was from an websight, i cant remember which one though
I like the mix between new ideas and classic sonic gameplay, something that the new games have been lacking for a long time.
Well I dont hate anyone, but I dont know anyone well enough to call them a friend.
The worst part has to be the noobs on the forum (which seem to be declining) but apart from that nothing.

1 I was looking on caiman us for a sonic game.

2. Its in 3d and you make your own levels! I used this as my technology assignment last year.
3 I dont know.

Googling. Can't remember what the search was though. :/

Customizability. It's the one thing I love about games most, it increases what you can do with it much more.

Anyone who can actually play it well, mostly. If they can't, then as long as they don't start asking repetitively or without attempting to set a better control scheme or what the problem requires.

In short, those with common sense.

I don't have any gripes with it for the main part, but a spam forum didn't appeal to me at all.

1.) I was either looking around on YouTube for videos of Sonic next-gen (I didn't know it sucked so terribly back then) and found something about SRB2, or I searched it on Google. Probably the first. It was back in January of 2007, so it's been a while. Almost 2 years.

2.) Just how well the game works. I was astonished to see a Sonic game working on a Doom engine. Also, the fact that it's 100% customizable and it supports online play.

3.) I usually try to help out the newer users, giving them feedback on their levels, and just helping them in general with their creations. It's nice to see a user who creates a completely original mod, bringing something new to the table, and it cheers me up.

The enemies I'm most likely to make are the complete idiots, the ones who have no common sense and just act like complete morons. Yes, there are quite a few users that fit that description perfectly on here.

4.) I definitely haven't been around as long as some other users have, but my main view of the community is that it has slipped into being overwhelmed by younger users who can't type and release some pretty bad wads (the new Submissions system, however, takes care of that). However, I can see that the MB is slowly reaching a point where it'll even out the smarter users from the rest of the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back