Fixed [SDL2 Fixed] Persistently choppy video in windowed mode (Software)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Mystery

This is not really something that can be proven with screenshots or footage, and may not be happening on stronger hardware, but bear with me:

2.1 in windowed mode does not run as smoothly as 2.0 windowed, regardless of the resolution setting. The FPS counter doesn't report any abnormal slowdown, but for me it is visibly choppy like it's not showing every other frame. It does this constantly no matter what mode/level I am in. If you've ever played Sonic 1 or 2 in slowdown and seen the "faked" transparency effect on a shield break down (ie, the character becomes obscured by the actual shield sprites), that's a symptom that's happening under this lag and is about the best proof I can offer that it's not running full speed.

The lag doesn't appear at all in fullscreen, so i'm left to presume this is a new problem in windowed mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize this is a problem, I'm experiencing it myself on my own laptop in windowed mode. The problem is, I don't think there's anything I can do to fix it; I tried messing around with the windowed code and confirmed that it is indeed trying to draw every frame to the screen.

In the end, though, when we eventually start using SDL (or more preferably, SDL2) for Windows builds, this shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back