The Chase is On pack V4.0 - (s_sonicchase.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thumbs_up.jpg

Thanks metal, that's a pretty positive comment!

Got anything specific you particularly did or didn't like? I need more imput for v2.0

I like the jungle level the best, especially the customizable spring chains. That boss at the end of the warehouse level is mad hard but way cool!

BTW: Mystic just gave me an infraction on the thumb because it's supposedly "spam."

Last edited:
Yeah, I like the toxic warehouse boss too. There is actually a strategy to make him a bit easier, but I still can't beat him without getting hurt at least a few times.

Anyway, as a notice on my progress. Version 2.0 is coming along well. The greatest amount of changes made in this version are to CDZ, since that definetly needed help. Small changes are being made to MCZ, LAZ, and TCZ as well. The last two I'm leaving alone until I get a little more feedback, but they will have changes done too, in a future version.

NOTICE: Stuff I forgot to mention:

1st Image: How did you even get OpenGL to HOM?!? I thought it was impossible!

2nd Image: Fix the height on your bridges to match the texture. Probably 32 or 64 fracs high, but I think it's 32.

3rd Image: ? How did this happen? Wait, it's just an OpenGL error...

4th Image: The 1st one in software mode. Fix your sky!!! (I might look at that in SRB2DB to see what happened.)

Attachments

• srb20031.jpg
    srb20031.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 256
  • srb20032.jpg
    srb20032.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 432
  • srb20033.jpg
    srb20033.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 263
  • srb20039.png
    srb20039.png
    80 KB · Views: 308
Uh...

Darn I thought I was past the noobish questions, but here's one...

What's OpenGL and software mode and how are they different?

I'll fix problem #2, but as for those other 3, metal, idk what's going on or how to fix it really.

OpenGL and Software are different rendering engines for the game, which, in a nutshell, means that OpenGL and Software handle the visuals for the game.

Software the rendering engine that runs by default, and is what you will have used most of the time in SRB2. OpenGL is not turned on by default, and is rather buggy in SRB2. But it comes with some extra features, such as lighting, potential to use 3D models, and so on.

I'm no expert on the matter, so I can't give out lots of detail, but, this should give you a rough idea of what OpenGL and Software are.

I see what you did.

The ERZWIN textures have transparency. That DOES NOT mean that they will render a transparent wall. You have to use a translucent FOF to render the "glass." Ex:

http://sites.google.com/site/metal96site/Home/mods-and-wads-for-srb2/windows.wad?attredirects=0&d=1

The 1st room is the INCORRECT way that you did it.

The 2nd room is the CORRECT way that I showed you how to do. You don't have to change your heights or anything like that, just imitate what's in the wad and mess with it from there. Please remember the mini thok-barrier or it still won't render right!

Ok I'll try to fix that. If I can, the next version will see it added. If I'm still stuck, I'll get more help and it will come out in the following version.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time and endurance to review your whole pack, but I did want to give you some pieces of advice. First off, this pack really shows your (quite rapid) progression as a mapper. While the first map is quite a typical throwaway first attempt, the last map in this pack is quite an impressive showcase of ideas and mapping knowledge that simply lacks in organization.

For being so relatively new to our community in general and level making specifically, you know quite a lot about mapping specials and the likes, probably much more than many people did at this point in time. Also important is that you have inspiration. It's not like your maps are empty shells of nothing (again, excluding the first two maps) but instead, you have many interesting and sometimes quite complicated gameplay ideas that make your maps enjoyable. Of course, with the success comes the failure, as some of your ideas simply fall flat on their face. That is entirely normal, it took me personally over a year before I finally had a good understanding of what works and what doesn't in this game.

For example, there is this section in Jungle Flight where you have to choose between two springs. One leads into the pit and one lets you progress. This doesn't work at all, since it's more or less a matter of luck if you survive or not. Apart from that, bouncing off long spring chains is not very interesting, since the player doesn't to do much.

Another example can be found in Toxic Adventure where I have to press several buttons after another to open a door. To make it even worse, I have to run back and forth between the two sides of the room, which is extremely tedious and boring. In general, having to press a button to make something happen always feels kind of lame and uninspired. Try to think of alternate ways to make certain events happen (though I loved the idea with the oil barrel button, hands down).

One thing that needs drastic improvement is the texturing, and the visuals in general. That is a particularly tricky field for new designers, I have to admit, and I'm also very picky in that matter. Simply put, there are many spots where the texture feel like they were randomly pasted onto the walls, just to have a texture there. Making a level look good is a tricky thing, and requires trying many things out. I would recommend starting with some preset themes, and not trying to experiment all too much. Also, you don't seem to know about texture alignment, and I blame the stupid SRB2 Doom Builder Tutorial on the Wiki for that.

See, now I've written much more than I planned to, but eh... In general, just continue trying out things and looking at what works and what doesn't, it's probably the best way to become a better mapper. Also, play as many custom maps as possible and look at what you liked there and what you didn't. Slowly but steadily, you will get an impression of what is good design and what isn't.

(Slightly offtopic: The fact that Metal96 liked those spring chains really shows in his own level, and not for the better. But that is another review...)

Last edited:
wow, thanks for the nice review!

Yes, a lot of the gimmicks do need work though.

The spring chains do have a set of arrows before them indicating which is the correct spring, you know. The trick is to memorize the order before you start springing.
The other room, with all those buttons, I realize it's very tedious, I will probably change or delete that area.

And I do know about texture alignment, but unfortunately I get some sort of directx error when trying to open 3D mode. I have to work without that feature.

I'm still doing what I can to make the pack better, and reviews of good and bad specifics of levels are always appreciated.

Oh and I just thought this was funny. Somewhere in that last post, you said Toxic Adventure Zone, instead of Lake Adventure or Toxic Warehouse. The really funny part was that the gimmick you mentioned is in Tempest Coast.

The spring chains do have a set of arrows before them indicating which is the correct spring, you know. The trick is to memorize the order before you start springing.
Really? I must be blind...

And I do know about texture alignment, but unfortunately I get some sort of directx error when trying to open 3D mode. I have to work without that feature.
You can align them without 3D Mode, but I realize that this would be extremely tedious.

I'm still doing what I can to make the pack better, and reviews of good and bad specifics of levels are always appreciated.
I might get around to reviewing a bit more, but don't call me on that.

Oh and I just thought this was funny. Somewhere in that last post, you said Toxic Adventure Zone, instead of Lake Adventure or Toxic Warehouse. The really funny part was that the gimmick you mentioned is in Tempest Coast.
My memory seems to fail me quite an awful lot...

Version 3.0 has been released today, August 2nd!

Check out the changes to the stages and more reviews please!

I like this level pack, but I still think it needs to be spiced up in the graphics. Keep doing, cuz you're doing well!

Just thought I'd mention this... I was getting the same error, until I turned the Hardware Acceleration up on my computer. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but it's probably worth a try, cause 3D mode is pretty handy.

Charybdizs,

I'd try it but I don't know how to find computer controls like that.
What menu and/or folder would it be in on a windows computer?

I'd love to fix it, then I could to texture aligning and make this pack look waaay better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back