Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, you are probably right.. I knew it was either 35 or 36.. I chose 36 since it is easier to divide by 6.

Last edited:
Well, so far we're up to 17 entries, and from the looks of #srb2fun, it looks like Blade's got one more on the way. Guess the contest wasn't so small after all.

I just entered a 60 minute rush job match level. Yay :D

Sorry about the deleted post, not used to this board. Anyway, this is all I got so far after a few days of mapping. Obviously for the June deadline.

Midnight Aquarium Zone
srb20000j.png

that water's a bit blue doncha think

Also, while it certainly looks nice otherwise, all I see for Sonic to mess with is a bit of flat ground. Also, will we be jumping in the aquarium?

that water's a bit blue doncha think

Also, while it certainly looks nice otherwise, all I see for Sonic to mess with is a bit of flat ground. Also, will we be jumping in the aquarium?

Yeah it still needs a bit of work, that's just supposed to be the start room. Gonna work on making future rooms larger and more complex while keeping the same level of quality. As for the blue water, should it be lighter? Darker? Not as strong?

Last edited:
The Match levels had a lot of beginner's mistakes in them, mainly with crampedness and bad Weapon placement.
CTF was alright, though the floating ruins level was far too straightforward and the level with the jungle textures was far too short.
I didn't get around to Single Player and Race.

SP was really nothing out of the ordinary. There were some shitty ones, then there were a few fun ones, and then there was the occasional 2D level we always get.

Here are my opinions on the winners of the Contest:

Molten Cavern Zone: I thought this was staunchly the second best level in the contest; Detonation Drift Zone is the coolest SP entry I've seen in a while, and I really think it should've won. Sure, it's got a few bugs and an ugly texture here and there, but it plays well and has awesome gimmicks.

Aquatic Relic Zone: This was definitely a good level. I guess that by most contest-rating standards it was the best Match level this contest. I personally liked Complete Chaos Zone better, because it had a frantic "Meadow Match" feel to it, but I can see why it didn't win.

Clockwork Towers Zone: Graphically, this was the winner, hands down. But I have the distinct impression that most people scored it high only for its aesthetics, because gameplay was terrible. If you're talking about how it plays and only how it plays, I would have said Desert Dash Zone should have won.

Wacky Tesseract Zone: YAYZ. It's very hard for me to discuss this one objectively, of course, but I personally did like mine best. The other two levels that were really good were Jungle Ruins Zone and Egg Hall Zone. Jungle Ruins Zone was kind of short, but it had nice visuals and some cool shortcuts which perfectly balanced risk and reward. Egg Hall Zone was, to me, really more eye candy than an actual good race; I was so frustrated on this level. But that might be more a reflection of my sucking at Race than the level actually being bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back