• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

New special stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I would assume to be a slightly interesting concept, I unfortunately have to give this only a 2/5.

Maybe it was because I was playing as an underpowered character, the special stage is a little too hard, a little too soon. There should be more rings, it should go on a little longer, and I think it would be better if the character were pushed by a fan on a flat service instead of being sprung everywhere.

Concept is awesome. Execution...Notsomuch.

It's not clear to the player immediately what is going on. They're just thrown into it and expected to get a grasp right away. This would make a fine SS6 or 7. The first in the series needs to be much easier so the player can get a grasp on what they're supposed to do before having the difference between winning and losing be by an incredibly small margin.

okay so, if i make it easier it would be good? okay I'll get started on it right now

I myself have completed this. It took a few attempts to do though. Perhaps, instead of just springing through a plain box, you could give each special stage it's own theme you need to bounce through, if possible. Or even detail the the level at the least if you're going to use the theme you're using now. I like the concept of the spring + 2D. It was a very clever idea and it actually had me playing trying to beat the special stage and have fun despite it's difficulty. Sadly though, this is far too difficult for a first special stage. Perhaps for the earlier special stages, you could have the player bounce for a bit with no rings on the springs to get prepared. Even then, you should let the player be able to get a grasp on where to go to grab rings first, like having them slowly be pushed to the first set of springs.

There's nothing ultimately wrong with the special stage you have here. You can save this completed work for special stage 6 or special stage 7 like Rob suggested.

you could give each special stage it's own theme you need to bounce through, if possible. Or even detail the the level at the least if you're going to use the theme you're using now.
I was going to make it like green walls for green chaos emerald, red for red, blue for blue ect.
EDIT: Or should I make it like GFZ theme THZ them CEZ theme ect.

Last edited:
okay so, if i make it easier it would be good? okay I'll get started on it right now
Don't make it too easy that I can do it without moving a single finger. What's the challenge of special stages if they're too easy.

I like the concept of this speical stage, it's something different, and brings a new challange to the table. I think XSRB2 had something similar with Factory Farce Zone (Beta Tidbits). Maybe make different pathways and such by adding a red spring into the mix or something. Just take a quick look at Factory Farce Zone and you'll see what I mean.

Rating (since you asked): 5

Last edited:
Maybe make different pathways and such by adding a red spring into the mix or something. Just take a quick look at Factory Farce Zone and you'll see what I mean.
those are really good ideas but, where could I find FFZ i have Xsrb2 and i could only find something like this in the tidbits.

those are really good ideas but, where could I find FFZ i have Xsrb2 and i could only find something like this in the tidbits.
That's what I ment. Sorry if I confused you when I said Beta Elements instead of Beta Tidbits.
But yeah, maybe add the extra routes with more rings or death (death coming in the later Special Stages of course).

Well, I didn't know what the problem was but maybe you can try this. Just copy and paste this code in the MAINCFG:
Code:
Level 50
MusicSlot = 122
TypeOfLevel = 512
SkyNum = 1
I removed some data from this level like the LevelName and Act because all versions and other SRB2's (ex. XSRB2) do not have a LevelName or a Act. If you add a .wad and some maps just replace special stages you will not have to worry about replacing the level name or act because SRB2's LevelHeader is still loaded and it will still display nothing as the LevelName or the Act. Same goes for NoZone. If you want to add them back it's okay because I don't know your ideas for your project. I did keep the SkyNum though because I don't know what you're going to do with that but it didn't bother me that much. Also, make sure the TypeOfLevel is correct just in case...

Last edited:
Okay

Do you think you could possibly post screenshots? I never download a WAD without seeing screenshots or videos. :/
Okay here.

srb20114.png
e15685f51e81b74aa467_2.jpg

e15685f51e81b74aa467_3.jpg

Here's an update to!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/h5m9ot

Last edited:
Looks like you didn't copy the "direct link" url for those screenshots when you uploaded them, wizeman. They're not showing up, and the urls in the image tags go to a page on the postimage website containing the image, rather than going to the image itself.

Realy?

Looks like you didn't copy the "direct link" url for those screenshots when you uploaded them, wizeman. They're not showing up, and the urls in the image tags go to a page on the postimage website containing the image, rather than going to the image itself.
I don't know why, they're showing up perfectly for me.

As a random critique, I feel like you should fix the bottom springs to be regular "push up" springs. Because when you hit the bottom springs it ruins your left/right momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back