A Trio of 2.2 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
EsSF4ol.png
6a00d83452033569e20134881b90c8970c-800wi
I do think that, in comparison, the greens and browns could be more saturated.

Zubat, keep in mind that in 2D, those shadows are used to imply that the grass stretches past the brick a ways, whereas in 3D any kind of detail like that will feel incredibly fake. You have to do subtle depth details in textures, and that one plainly isn't.

First, it was the color of the sky in Sonic 2 HD, then it was 50 pages of nonsense over a tree, and now two pages of this?

This fanbase is a nosediving roller coaster of hilarity. I'm so glad I get a laugh out of this stuff now, instead of blowing my top over it.

Proposal to put a single tree growing on a roof somewhere in GFZ.

This fanbase is a nosediving roller coaster of hilarity. I'm so glad I get a laugh out of this stuff now, instead of blowing my top over it.
Someone making texture edits for GFZ isn't comparable to S2HD's pickiness. Stop shitposting.

Zubat, keep in mind that in 2D, those shadows are used to imply that the grass stretches past the brick a ways, whereas in 3D any kind of detail like that will feel incredibly fake. You have to do subtle depth details in textures, and that one plainly isn't.
Here's an idea: what if we put in actual grass overhangs into parts of GFZ, if we ever do decide to make major changes to it? They could be intangible-from-bottom platforms, to mimic the Green Hill design.

Last edited:
Here's an idea: what if we put in actual grass overhangs into parts of GFZ, if we ever do decide to make major changes to it? They could be intangible-from-bottom platforms, to mimic the Green Hill design.

I had this thought as well. I'm all for it! GFZ could use some more graphical flair eventually.

I was about to respond with this. I really like the idea. What if the overhanging grass is just midtextures? Or if it ever becomes a thing, maybe even ceiling slopes?

Someone making texture edits for GFZ isn't comparable to S2HD's pickiness. Stop shitposting.

I don't know, it's somewhat odd going into an announcement thread for actual news nibbles, and fans overanalysing said news nibbles, then come and find people were talking about a single, lone texture not made by the devs for a few pages. Is that somehow measureably different from the OCD Hill Top tree edit paparazi? Arguably not the same sheer volume of feedback, if that's what you're referring to.

Of course, it's not my web forum, and I know how Sonic forums are with this stuff, so I don't care to rock the boat over small, nitpicky things that aren't going to change because of one person's dumb opinion. You guys have your snark moments, and I had mine.

I kinda have this habit of taking cheese shots at the Sonic fanbase, and Tumblr. I'll politely knock it off if asked.

Jesus Christ, who's the one being anal here?

We're just discussing ways to improve GFZ's aesthetic, the lone texture isn't even all-encompassing in the discussion. If you want to be a peanut gallery, go bug the circlejerk in #srb2fun.

Last edited:
We aren't even brainstorming over a bunch of different needless designs or anything in here either. toaster just made a neat addition to GFZ and now everyone is talking about how the stage can be improved further in terms of aesthetic. The discussion itself is not even that off topic either, given this is something that could be made for 2.2.

Jesus Christ, who's the one being anal here?

We're just discussing ways to improve GFZ's aesthetic, the lone texture isn't even all-encompassing in the discussion. If you want to be a peanut gallery, go bug the circlejerk in #srb2fun.

If you think I'm being anal after basically saying, "Hey, I made a cheeky opinion and I know it. Let me get back to lurking as I not do that again, sorry peeps.", then you haven't seen me rustle the jimmies of a hardcore Assassin's Creed fan, and don't even mention the Destiny fans I've pissed off. (Spoilers: They're still mad at me.) If I actually came in here with the intention of starting a fire, I would have written a very different post than what I did, and probably directly insulted somebody.

I won't repeat myself a third time, otherwise this discussion will fall apart and get some posts trashed, if this isn't going to accomplish that already.

Nobody cares what you did to rustle some AC fan's jimmies, nor do we care about what your intention was. What we care is that your post was pointless, and this one you made doesn't helps it anyhow either.

Either join the discussion or just don't post at all.

Did I ask anyone to care? I'm not proud of what I did there either. I got that it was pointless the second time, remind me not to do it again. Now I'm going to be mad at myself for a while and probably not log in for a couple weeks.

Last edited:
...way to be dramatic and self-deprecating about everything dude, just simply stopping would have been enough? Just don't peanut gallery something that wasn't really that bad to begin with, please.

That said, I also like the GFZROCK edit that's been talked about here, though I feel it would benefit GFZ best if the level was designed with the texture in mind to start with. Adding it years after the level itself was made makes it looked tacked on ...which is exactly what's been done here, as it happens.

This is the first time I've caused a stink on these forums without meaning to since my last account from 2009; didn't quite know how to handle it without sounding like a sobbing mess. I feel stupid for not reading the thread thoroughly before throwing a dumb comment out there, it won't happen again.

So is putting those things there easy now or do you still have to do stupid shit like coating extra linedefs everywhere or add a bunch of FOFs or make absurdly tall textures with TEXTUREx.

Oh snap, I could make that a thing, couldn't I?! :O Silly me, I was still just leaving that to the level designers and didn't even realize. What if I made TEXTURES (that is, to remind you, SRB2 takes ZDoom-style TEXTURES lumps now, not TEXTUREx) have a setting which says if you set one texture on a wall, it will vertically loop as another texture, only displaying the actually-set map texture once at the top or bottom? I think that might be possible... hmmm.

You'd probably have to clear it with the people who made the TEXTURES format if you don't want DoomBuilder to refuse to work with the resulting file.

Not nessecary. Just added "toptex BUTTWORK" and "bottomtex BUTTWORK" to a TEXTURES lump I've been working on as part of a group project, and neither SRB2DB2 nor DB2 give a buttwork about the presence of additional defining elements. (I assume this is as long as they don't include, say, the word Texture.)

Granted, until we get someone to actually fix up our ailing fleet of map editors they won't actually display this in 3D mode- but at least it wouldn't actively hinder them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has already been answered, but, what will happen to our savedata? Will we have to re-do everything, or will there be some method of conversion to the new version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back