Lots of Kart WAD Questions

Kíbito

Fishead Lad
Hello, this is my first post here, please bear with me, also i don't originally speak english, so if i got an error please let me know so i can correct it as soon as i can.

I've been playing Sonic Robo Blast 2 for a while, when i heard about Srb2 Kart and how fun it was i wanted to try it, and indeed, it is really, really fun.

The thing is that i wanna make a mod for it, but i have some problems, and i would like advice from the members of this forum who have experience at that, this is the progress that i have so far with the mod, barely any experience spriting so aside from what i'm asking for here, feedback on them would be appreciated.
2s67k8n.png

Based off this reference pic
3JlgXDW.png

I know there are several errors, primarily the palette, it's actually the second one i do and those are the doubts i have. I have been following the Wiki Tutorial to create a WAD, but since it is for SRB2 and not for Kart, i'm just getting more and more confused, as well as having more questions as i read more into it, just in case, i did took the time to read all the steps except for Character Select, so to not bother anyone in PMs, i'm just gonna leave the questions down here.

a)-Turns out there was an attempt to do a Wheelie Rider Kirby before by Metal Knux, Should i base my palette on that?.
5anrkl.png

b)-Should i color them green from the start? or should i color them how i want in MSPaint, then change it to green?.

c)-If i choose 160 for the base color, then 161 must be its shade and so on? or can i apply for example 163 for its shade?.

d)-The palette for the entire character must have only 16 individual colors? Or are the colors not colored in green (for example Sonic's skin in the reference above) considered out of the palette?.

e)-If i do Kirby's body green, but the shoes red, does that mean the shoes won't change color when they have another palette set? And in any case how can i control which colors i want to change and which not?.

f)-What are all the Parameters for the S_SKIN lump in Kart? I've looked into other people's mods using SLADE, and there seems to be more than what the Wiki lists.

g)-The naming format is KIRBA1, then KIRBA2A8, what does the A2A8 mean? for idle frame i got 5 unique sprites done, but what are those 2 extra characters in the name for? Are those the same sprites but twisted? If so, what frames does the condensed formula apply for? since there are frames like leaning which are differenced by side by naming them KIRBYM-N and KIRBO-P instead of adding those extra characters.

h)-How can i rip the characters from the game?, it would probably be better if i used the original characters as a guide instead of a mod.

-It would also be pretty useful if someone could direct me to a Kart frame list and skin colors list, since both of those variate from SRB2's.

If some of these questions are answered in the wiki tutorial, please still answer them, as i would like confirmation for what the wiki says, which is what i'm confused with.

I know i have limitations, and i may have chosen something too hard as it is basically 2 characters in one, but i think it's hard, but possible. I may edit this post if i have new questions, but thanks for reading it, and i would appreciate as much help as possible, thank you anyway.

A n s w e r s

Those kirby sprites look really nice, and I wouldn't mind another kerbe in Kart, now for your questions.

a) You don't need to change the palette if the sprites are already done :V

b & c) Green (idx160-176) is the recommended startcolor that you should start your sprite with since it's the skincolor with the most colors and will give you the least amount of trouble.

d) The base palette can have UP to 16 colors, Which means you can make a sprite with 4 colors, color it green, and the game will handle it fine.

e) Unfortunately, if you make them red, they will be red. Although, PointySonic DOES have a secondcolor system, but that was achieved through lua, but you can make a hacky workaround by coloring the shoes a darker grey since a few Kart palettes do hue shifting, and the Lilac Color (aka stand-in for pink) already uses reds for its darker colors, so if anything, you could do that and it won't look totally off.

f) The custom parameters (as well as the custom sprite names) are labelled here --> http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/SRB2Kart/Character_WAD

g) Why, that's the condensed naming system in action! Read up here for explanations --> http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Sprite#Format

h) If you want to rip sprites, then open chars.kart in SLADE. Don't worry about the file extension, It's just a WAD file renamed, Just enter it in the bottom box and press enter and SLADE will open it up.

Those kirby sprites look really nice, and I wouldn't mind another kerbe in Kart, now for your questions.

a) You don't need to change the palette if the sprites are already done :V

b & c) Green (idx160-176) is the recommended startcolor that you should start your sprite with since it's the skincolor with the most colors and will give you the least amount of trouble.

d) The base palette can have UP to 16 colors, Which means you can make a sprite with 4 colors, color it green, and the game will handle it fine.

e) Unfortunately, if you make them red, they will be red. Although, PointySonic DOES have a secondcolor system, but that was achieved through lua, but you can make a hacky workaround by coloring the shoes a darker grey since a few Kart palettes do hue shifting, and the Lilac Color (aka stand-in for pink) already uses reds for its darker colors, so if anything, you could do that and it won't look totally off.

f) The custom parameters (as well as the custom sprite names) are labelled here --> http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/SRB2Kart/Character_WAD

g) Why, that's the condensed naming system in action! Read up here for explanations --> http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Sprite#Format

h) If you want to rip sprites, then open chars.kart in SLADE. Don't worry about the file extension, It's just a WAD file renamed, Just enter it in the bottom box and press enter and SLADE will open it up.

Thank you so much for your help! I still wanna clarify something though.

About the c) What i want know is if the ENTIRE character sprite must have only 16 colors, or if that limitation applies only to what i want to change.

So for example i color Kirby green and use 16 colors in total on him, then i color Wheelie red and use more colors on that, would that be fine? Or do i have to stick to in total only 16 colors, counting non green, non changing ones?.

Really sorry for over complicating myself, but i would like to have my answers cleared before i do the sprites wrong and have to make them again for the third time.

Thank you both for your help! I'm currently editing all the sprites to make them green, here's the one i'm testing:

2dltzk1.jpg
2iw0m7m.jpg
(v2)

I wonder if it'll be good for a salmon start color, i don't know if it'll turn out well, since i'm skipping some values, but i'll keep experimenting for now.

Again, thank you!.

And by the way, how do i put markers on SLADE? I know it's stupid but i can't figure out how to do it.

Last edited:
And by the way, how do i put markers on SLADE? I know it's stupid but i can't figure out how to do it.

You can create markers in SLADE by clicking Archive -> New -> New Entry from your toolbar.

It would also be pretty useful if someone could direct me to a Kart frame list and skin colors list, since both of those variate from SRB2's.

If you have not already, it may be useful for you to join Kart Krew's Discord server, where most of the current in-depth tutorials are. If you can't, no worries! Here are some of the useful WAD setup guides members from the community have made:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/514241725569695784/514245193105670164/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/516363535408693367/533007849412886551/BASEKART.PNG

Really sorry for over complicating myself, but i would like to have my answers cleared before i do the sprites wrong and have to make them again for the third time.

If it helps at all, SLADE has an in-built color remapping feature that is incredibly helpful for editing the colors in your sprites in bulk. Once you've converted your sprites to the Doom graphic format and indexed them to the SRB2 palette, you can simply select them all, right click them, and click Graphics -> Colour Remap...! You can then select individual colors or color ranges and easily change them to other colors within the palette.

Hope that was helpful!

You can create markers in SLADE by clicking Archive -> New -> New Entry from your toolbar.

If you have not already, it may be useful for you to join Kart Krew's Discord server, where most of the current in-depth tutorials are. If you can't, no worries! Here are some of the useful WAD setup guides members from the community have made:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/514241725569695784/514245193105670164/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/516363535408693367/533007849412886551/BASEKART.PNG

If it helps at all, SLADE has an in-built color remapping feature that is incredibly helpful for editing the colors in your sprites in bulk. Once you've converted your sprites to the Doom graphic format and indexed them to the SRB2 palette, you can simply select them all, right click them, and click Graphics -> Colour Remap...! You can then select individual colors or color ranges and easily change them to other colors within the palette.

Hope that was helpful!
First off, thank you so much Lach! Your message was really helpful!.

Now, the thing is, the way i did the sprite, was so that the whole character would have 16 colors, i'm using SLADE to change and test the colors, but since the base palette can have a range of up 16 colors, i don't know if some that i don't want to change are gonna end up switching, what i'm asking is how does the palette changes work? my theory is this:

The game bases off of the startcolor value (160 for green), to identify the palette, then changes the values according to that palette (example 163 for a darker shade of green), and other values that are not in the palette (example 104 for yellow) will be ignored.

Also what's the naming format for sounds?

Edit: Don't worry, everything works! I already tested it a bit, it's fully playable with custom sounds and all, i'm gonna publish it soon, so be on the lookout and special thanks for your help!!.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back