mrtf_Chaoticlevels.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, LOTS OF STUFF REQUIRES FIXING!
Firstly, rings are places in chunks, rather than in lines in roads and if they are, like in the knuckles castle zone, theres 3 rows, too much close to each other.
Secondly, the weapon ammo aren't floating, rather loafing around on the ground.
And also most levels are way too small for theyre game type, I mean, the strange base zone is just a "big" room, you know what happens if actually 6 or more people go on it in match? DESTRUCTION.

Anyway, fixing the ammo thing might be the easiest, but to make those levels actually good (the rings in chunks arent too much of a problem, its just rather annoying to find rings, but you don't have to fix that), you might wanna expand them and make them bigger, by alot.

Ok, LOTS OF STUFF REQUIRES FIXING!
Firstly, rings are places in chunks, rather than in lines in roads and if they are, like in the knuckles castle zone, theres 3 rows, too much close to each other.
Yeah, I'm aware of that BIG TIME. Sooooo many rings x.x

Secondly, the weapon ammo aren't floating, rather loafing around on the ground.
I didn't see that, can you name some levels please?

And also most levels are way too small for theyre game type, I mean, the strange base zone is just a "big" room, you know what happens if actually 6 or more people go on it in match? DESTRUCTION.
I'm not changing SBZ, because it's my first zone ever. Sorry.

I agree that some stages are kind of cramped(particularly KCZ and SBZ). I'll try to make KCZ better, I see a lot of possibilities there.

Anyway, fixing the ammo thing might be the easiest, but to make those levels actually good (the rings in chunks arent too much of a problem, its just rather annoying to find rings, but you don't have to fix that), you might wanna expand them and make them bigger, by alot.
It's annoying to find rings? Explain please, that makes no sense.

One thing: You can't actually think that we aren't going to criticize something bad about your level.

Take a look at my level for example:

They criticize my level and say good things that they like and bad things that I need to improve.

You can't refuse to listen to criticism because that way you won't learn a thing.

My 8-year old cousin even sees that your levels are bad and needs improvement.(Execept for Sandy Ruins).

You can't refuse to listen to criticism because that way you won't learn a thing.

The problem is that many members of the MB are hard on newbies and make it seem like everything about their level is problematic so they don't know what they're doing RIGHT. With your level, people are making calm, reasonable suggestions, but in other topics I've seen words like "absolute bullshit" being tossed around. This topic is an example.

Not a lot of them actually. Some words might be harsh but the people you are referring to give mostly always good criticzm.
And... you thought my criticizement was... harsh? I'm a fellow newbie as well you know... I just pointed out what I thought was wrong that time (inb4 bump).

The problem is that many members of the MB are hard on newbies and make it seem like everything about their level is problematic so they don't know what they're doing RIGHT.
Not really. There are two members of this community I can think of who have a tendency to do this, but mostly we're not hard on people, just honest. The proper way to deal with criticism is to recognize the mistakes you made and avoid them in your next level.

but in other topics I've seen words like "absolute bullshit" being tossed around.
And?

I think his point is that newbies aren't accustomed to that type of language, and it could easily serve to alienate them when they take it as being much harsher than we mean to be. Language is a funny thing. Whereas here, something may just be the language we speak, the same thing said elsewhere, or to unfamiliar people, can have a completely different effect. "Absolute bullshit" is most definitely one of those things, and I for one would never use the term to speak to new builders.

(...)and it could easily serve to alienate them when they take it as being much harsher than we mean to be.(...) "Absolute bullshit" is most definitely one of those things, and I for one would never use the term to speak to new builders.

*Ezer'Arch double-thumbs it up*

The excuse they give is that, newbies will never evolve if they treat them in other way.

It's not matter of "want me to praise their garbage?" as I heard once; it's matter of "how to teach people didactically".

For me, it's one step a time and putting myself in one's shoes, until the guy evolves and feels ashamed of his first days.

(Of course, there are people who want to learn and people who is just lazy. My attention is for the first ones)

And I fail to remember anyone who has evolved their skills by "this-is-bullshit" way of criticizing in these two years. I'm afraid the our "new higher standards" of level design has been killing the new comers at the front-door and made us treat then with elitist way.

EDIT:

I downloaded the wad. It amazes me that Strange Base Zone reminds me of my 2000×2000 FU squared map I made following SRB2DB tutorial.

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but if I call something "absolute bullshit", it's usually because I think it's absolute bullshit and not because I want to give newbies a lesson in our forum etiquette. Besides, we only tend to respond harshly when it's obvious that somebody is ignoring well-meaning advice on purpose. This topic is the best example for that. And since those who ignore criticism will hardly ever become quality mappers, I don't think we're killing newbies at the front door. We just don't have any tolerance towards arrogant reactions.

Oh, and for mappers who evolved their skills by the "this-is-bullshit" way of criticizing: Fawfulfan didn't start to make better maps through my "constructive criticism" when he was still working on Tortured Planet, but rather through abandoning it when Mystic more or less openly declared that it "fucking sucks". Spherallic became a much better mapper more or less over night when his pack of multiplayer levels was bashed to no end by D00D64. Speak of the devil, D00D64 himself has produced the highest-rated single player map ever at the precise moment when he started cutting down the immense difficulty that his previous levels have received a lot of flak for (although in this case, other factors were probably more important). I don't know if Thompson's cancellation of SRB2K6RE was a result of the criticism it received or not, but he nevertheless improved by disowning his former work and starting anew. These four people have made some of the best maps in recent memory and they've all been pretty harshly criticized in the past.

And... you thought my criticizement was... harsh? I'm a fellow newbie as well you know... I just pointed out what I thought was wrong that time (inb4 bump).

Not you in particular, just some people on the MB in general. I'm not pointing any fingers here.

I don't much understand why this got bumped, but this is clearly awful and the author clearly has no intention to improve, so I'm just going to lock it so we don't have to see it again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back