[Open Assets] Homing Ring

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prisima

spin.gif
The Homing Ring is a ring that, when fired, quickly chases any nearby player. To keep it from being to overpowered, you must have 20 rings, and it uses 15 rings to fire. Also, you can only shoot every 5 seconds. You press Custom 3 to fire it.

Attachments

• HomingRing.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 917
I just roped myself and a few other staff members to test this out, and this works perfectly fine from a technical standpoint so I'm happy to release it. But I do think the ring itself is overpowered.

To be more specific, it's a perfectly accurate weapon that travels very fast, that tracks the closest target without flaw and you don't even need to aim. You could shoot a ring in the wrong direction and it would turn 180 degrees to make a beeline for the nearest enemy. It's basically a deton ring.

You clearly tried to keep it in line with the other weapon rings by giving it a long cooldown and a very high ring cost, but most of the time you can just pick up your opponents rings after he is hit by the homing ring. And fire it again before he has a chance to escape and recover. There's no reason to use the other rings, even with the high cost, as it's almost guaranteed to return the rings paid in points and rings your opponents drop.

One of the main reasons for this is because the homing ring tracks the nearst players location perfectly. But the ring would be far more interesting (and less powerful) if it had a turning circle and spent time accelerating after going in a straight line. This would give the target an opportunity to avoid the ring by tricking it into crashing into a wall, or something similar to that. To help illustrate the example, have a gif of Top Down (posted with permission).

HospitableJoyfulAdder.gif

Also it really bothers me that you can fire a ring in the wrong direction entirely and it'll still home in on the nearest target.

The best I could replicate the the action that the rocket in the GIF does is slowing down the ring a tad bit and adding that auto-explosion when it has existed for too long, but not the turning behavior. Do you have any tips on how one might go about doing this? For all I know, it could be a source code behavior and not a Lua one in that GIF.

The best I could replicate the the action that the rocket in the GIF does is slowing down the ring a tad bit and adding that auto-explosion when it has existed for too long, but not the turning behavior. Do you have any tips on how one might go about doing this? For all I know, it could be a source code behavior and not a Lua one in that GIF.

It was definitely done in lua first, it's basically accelerating it at a certain speed each frame, and if it goes above a set max speed it slows it down. It's not the most simple thing to do though. You'll probably be able to see the function soon anyway.

I might want to suggest some sort of Line of Sight for the ring as well. Currently you can fire in any direction at all and it'll home on anything nearby. You should at least have to face the right direction :V

There are two things within my ability that I can do to try to fix this problem:

* Slow it down, so you can try to run it out, or
* Try to script a speed checking mechanism, like Sryder talked about.

(Do objects - other than players - even have a line of sight? In every instance of chasing players that objects do, it has to do with A_Look. A_Look has a distance limit, though, and not a line of sight.)

(Do objects - other than players - even have a line of sight? In every instance of chasing players that objects do, it has to do with A_Look. A_Look has a distance limit, though, and not a line of sight.)

Actually A_Look does have some kind of line of sight checking. You can use P_CheckSight in lua like it does to check it, as for how well it works though, I'm not sure. Checking whether something is in front of the object can be done with angles like A_Look does. The function you'll probably want is P_LookForPlayers honestly, that has a way to have a distance limit, line of sight checking, you can limit it to only looking ahead, and you can set it so the object has it's tracer set to the target, which is exactly what the ring needs.

Um, the homing ring doesn't chase the nearby player, instead, when you're the server, it chases node number 1, when your a player, it chases the server.

Um, the homing ring doesn't chase the nearby player, instead, when you're the server, it chases node number 1, when your a player, it chases the server.

This hasnt been updated for 2.1.15. I would assume it needs one

It's not cheating at all, players are more than capable of outmaneuvering homing rings. As I recall, the original homing ring was removed because it was unstable and tended to crash the game- and because homing+rail was apparently overpowered (though I don't even remember that combo ever functioning, personally).

It's not cheating at all, players are more than capable of outmaneuvering homing rings. As I recall, the original homing ring was removed because it was unstable and tended to crash the game- and because homing+rail was apparently overpowered (though I don't even remember that combo ever functioning, personally).
It was removed for being way too powerful as area denial. The grenade ring was its replacement, and then that was nerfed too for being as set and forget as it was.

because homing+rail was apparently overpowered (though I don't even remember that combo ever functioning, personally).
To my knowledge very few if any official maps actually used the combo, but I can't imagine homing rail being anything other than a guaranteed hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back