Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, forum staff, could you post a list of entries that have been submitted so far, like you did in the days leading up to the previous contest?

So we just make a map and submit it? Is there a date when we can begin making it for the June deadline or can we start it now?

OK I have a few screens:

259hcsg.png

More soon...

Okay, Blazing Shelter is also not gonna make it. It's barely 20% complete, and I have a bit of an idea shortage.

However, you will be seeing something from me this contest. To be precise, a CTF map that is a collaboration between me and KO.T.E. It's called Clockwork Towers Zone (subject to change), and it's quite a large stage taking place in two towers high up in the air.

301jb6w.jpg

vbz1l.jpg

2hofqz6.jpg
It's not fully completed yet, but the layout is almost done.

No, the gears don't spin due to me failing at polyobjects (and they just look ugly when I try).

Oh man, that is STUNNING. Especially that FOG! I'm going to have to study precisely how you did it when the map comes out (I know how you did it, but I'll have to look at the specifics).

And it's probably better that the gears don't spin anyway...with something that complex, even the best PolyObject would have glitches.

I'm acctually working on making them spin, with the awesomeness of Appearing/Disappearing FOFs! :D

Clockwork Towers is visually the most wonderful looking zone that is going to be in this upcoming contest in the CTF divsion, cannot wait to play it!

I'm acctually working on making them spin, with the awesomeness of Appearing/Disappearing FOFs! :D
Making a gear spin like that would be unbelievably complicated. I've seen simple polygons made to rotate with Appearing/Disappearing FOFs, but never anything as complex as a gear. But if anyone could pull it off, you could, Blade.

I eagerly await this contest, mostly because of stuff that Blade is submitting (or is collaborating with Spherallic on). I'm also really, really glad that my entry isn't going up against anything that Blade has created, because I'd get my ass handed to me, HARD.

Hate to burst your bubble, but that metallic themed 1P stage won't make it. I MIGHT finish a diferent 1P map, but I doubt it. I'll be entering race AGAIN, though.

Also, I'm not really collabing with Sphere and KOTE, I'm just helping them to get the gear to rotate. (Which it now does, it chust needs a few touch ups.)

Well, here's some screenshots of my race map, Egg Hall Zone!

srb20263.png

srb20264.png

srb20267.png

Well, it certainly LOOKS nicer than mine. I can't help but be kind of irritated...the one time I believe I have a genuinely awesome level for the contest, and I'm pitting it against a level that is even better.

By the way, I used the name "Egg Hall Zone" a long time ago. But it was a really crappy level.

Anyway, I have no screenshots for my level handy, but I'll describe it now:

My level--the first Race level I've ever done--is called Wacky Tesseract Zone. It makes use of most of the Special Stage textures, and hosts a variety of gimmicks, including reversing gravity, falling blocks, Appearing/Disappearing FOFs, a room with an undulating floor, and even a 2D section (as far as I'm aware, the first Race level to switch in and out of 2D, not counting SRB2Riders). And to top it all off, I've had Spazzo test it, improving things he thought needed work, until liked how it played. I worked hard to guarantee that at least SOME sections won't be Thokfests, and that Tails and Knuckles will be able to hold their own against Sonic (but not completely dominate him). I also tried to give it a little replay value (I know that I wouldn't mind playing it through again.) Basically, I feel like this level is far more well-considered, revised, and innovative than the typical Fawfulfan creation.

But, again, I doubt it'll stand a chance against a Blade level. Drat the luck.

Now, I'm hardly a voice of impartiality in this matter, but it doesn't really seem fair for SRB2 developers to load tons of their own creations into the OLDC. Last contest, around half the victories went at least partially to staff members. I'm just saying, is all.

Last edited:
Last contest, around half the victories went at least partially to staff members.
Wrong, all of them but a half went to staff members. See, it's not like being dev means you are not allowed to enter the contest. And after all, winning is not everything. By the way, while Blade's map is good, a better map is entirely possible.

Now, I'm hardly a voice of impartiality in this matter, but it doesn't really seem fair for SRB2 developers to load tons of their own creations into the OLDC. Last contest, around half the victories went at least partially to staff members. I'm just saying, is all.

Blade and KO.T.E. were not made developers until after their entries had been submitted, so that's not really a valid point.

'sides, what does it matter if you win or lose, anyway? Do you care THAT much about having a special usertitle?

Wrong, all of them but a half went to staff members.
How's that different from what I said? Isn't that even more extreme?

See, it's not like being dev means you are not allowed to enter the contest.
I know it's not against the rules for a dev to enter the contest. I'm just not convinced it shouldn't be. The reason I think this is that most of these people got to be devs because they are consistently the best level designers in the community. There seems little point in further validating their prodigious skill by taking their creations and proclaiming them to be better than the maps other people can make (which is practically assured). Wouldn't it be better to make the OLDC more about searching for new talent? Or at least improvement in the skill of people who were previously not that good?

And after all, winning is not everything.
A very valuable statement in general, and definitely true here. However, as I said before, winning does serve as a message to the community that you have a lot of talent. And the devs don't really need that validation, because talent is how they got promoted in the first place. My key point is that even though winning is not everything, it means even less if half the contest winners were affirmed level design champions to begin with.

By the way, while Blade's map is good, a better map is entirely possible.
Well, maybe...

犬夜叉;669958 said:
Blade and KO.T.E. were not made developers until after their entries had been submitted, so that's not really a valid point.
Oh, dang, I hadn't thought of that. I was more concerned with this contest than the last one.

犬夜叉;669958 said:
'sides, what does it matter if you win or lose, anyway? Do you care THAT much about having a special usertitle?
Do you really want to know the psychological processes going on in my head? Okay, here goes...

It's not as much that I desperately want the user title as that I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last time, thought that this level would stand a much better chance, and now it's looking like the one time I produce a really good and well-thought-out level, I would get beaten out by a professional. The mind works in mysterious ways...that sequence is enough to make me a little bitter.

And, yes, I know I'm jumping to conclusions here. I don't know how Blade's level will play, I don't know how people will rate my level, and I don't know how people will rate Blade's level. So don't call be out on that stuff...I know I'm jumping the gun.

Besides all that, the usertitle isn't even the part I would enjoy most if I won. The appeal for me rests in the results being recorded in the SRB2 Wiki log of OLDCs.

*Whew* I'm done with my immature venting now. I'll get back to being sportsmanlike.

Last edited:
Wow, so many 1p entries not going to make it... And I am the one who started it all.. I guess =P
Nope, I already predicted Blazing Shelter wouldn't make it since 2 weeks ago.

SpiritCrusher said:
See, it's not like being dev means you are not allowed to enter the contest.
I know it's not against the rules for a dev to enter the contest. I'm just not convinced it shouldn't be. The reason I think this is that most of these people got to be devs because they are consistently the best level designers in the community. There seems little point in further validating their prodigious skill by taking their creations and proclaiming them to be better than the maps other people can make (which is practically assured). Wouldn't it be better to make the OLDC more about searching for new talent? Or at least improvement in the skill of people who were previously not that good?
Sometimes, admins/mods/developers enter, and while some are very good, such as Mystic, Blade and KOTE, there are also some lesser ones like Shadow Hog (no offense). It would be really stupid to disqualify people because of their rank on the forums.

EDIT: I might enter a match stage too, but it has to be more of a rush job than Amber Ravine for it to be entered, seeing as I can't get on a PC during Friday and Saturday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back