Official Level Design Contest Voting: July-August 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has come to my attention that SB edited NSZ2 to actually support online play properly. Those of you who happen to be using this version, toss it. NSZ2 was not ment to be edited in any way shape or form, and it's really pissing me off that people are taking his edit seriously. If anyone brings this idea up, please call them an idiot. We don't need any more checksum errors than we already have.

Thank you.

Mutliplayer.

Match:
MAPA1 - Cobalt Falls Zone by Camo_Man

-Good size
-Quite fun
-Nice dark blue colour map

8/10

MAPA2 - Space Dock Zone by DarkWarrior

-A bit big
-Bottomless pits got a bit annoying
-Still quite fun

7/10

MAPA3 - Hazard Plant by Senku

-Nice bright water colourmap
-Really good size
-Really enjoyable

9/10

MAPA4 - Treetop Caverns by Senku and Spazzo

-Too Big
-Very, very, very confusing level
-Not very fun, way too confusing

3/10

Capture the Flag:

MAPA5 - Lush Falls Zone by Com

-Great size
-Super creative
-Very enjoyable

9/10

MAPA6 - Meadow Plains Zone by DarkWarrior

-Perdy! ;]
-Quite fun
-Cool water fountains

8/10

Circuit:

MAPA7 - Volcanic Circuit Zone by Cheese

-It felt like a red volcano rip-off
-It was too deadly to be fun

3/10

MAPA8 - Darkmatter Freeway Zone by CZ64

-Very enjoyable

8/10

I'd just like to point this out to you guys.
graph2zk8.png

Single Player:
Sandstone Gorge by .hack 5/10

Nothing fundamentally wrong, but the whole platform hopping over quicksand got old.

Dimensional Zone by simsmagic 2/10

This map needs a little bit of Level Design 101, not to mention the fact that one of your death pits is borked. More testing could have been done beforehand I guess.

Nuclear Sunset Zone, Act 2 by BlueZero4 9/10

Exceptional. I was impressed by the other version you submitted in the levels section. But this was even more impressive. The pacing combined with the changes in theme were quite nice.

I'll go back and edit my post once I test the other maps...

Match:
MAPA1 - Cobalt Falls Zone by Camo_Man 5/10

The center area with the water and springs was a nice touch, but overall I thought that the water over the majority of the map greatly inhibited the map's flow. Also, your water was missing its colormap.

MAPA2 - Space Dock Zone by DarkWarrior 6/10

Decent map, nothing to complain about, but nothing to really compliment for either.

MAPA3 - Hazard Plant by Senku 6/10

A bit big considering the fact it has no rail rings. This was my only real complaint, there is way too much wide open space and no rail rings to use them in. =(

MAPA4 - Treetop Caverns by Senku and Spazzo 3/10

Bland... and you could get stuck in the water if you fell improperly.

Capture the Flag:
MAPA5 - Lush Falls Zone by Com 9/10

Absolutely incredible compared to your initial version. Beautiful looking and plenty of paths for flag carriers to take.

MAPA6 - Meadow Plains Zone by DarkWarrior 7/10

Not bad, but for some reason this map lagged my computer heavily. The lag did not affect its score however.

Circuit:
MAPA7 - Volcanic Circuit Zone by Cheese 7/10

Quite challenging. I especially liked the liberal use of graded red colormaps in the lava. My only complaint is that under any appreciable lag (which I had none since I hosted) people would likely have a lot of trouble finishing it.

MAPA8 - Darkmatter Freeway Zone by CZ64 N/A

I dislike NIGHTS stages, so I didn't score this, sorry.

SP votes:

Sandstone Gorge by .hack - 4/10
The level itself is bland, but that's really not your fault. SRB2 is majorly lacking in any scenery. However, the map only had 2 pathways, and one of them had no obvious way out of it. The second path wasn't really interesting, though the use of air sector specials was pretty good. It was really nothing special, though...

Dimensional Zone by simsmagic - 3/10

This isn't Sonic Heroes. This level feels very much geared towards Heroes gameplay over SRB2 gameplay. No scenery, and enemy groups reminiscent of Heroes didn't help either. This just was not a good map. Also, constantly teleporting from one kind of level to another was a bad idea.

Nuclear Sunset Zone, Act 2 by BlueZero4 - 10/10

Alright, if Mystic doesn't put this in the Featured Addons section, I will personally hit him over the head with a barbwire covered bat. I swear. This map is sheer awesome. It kept me playing and playing. I did not want it to end, and I was disappointed when I finally reached the end. It was just that good. I just wish I could find the rest of those damned buttons. X_X

I'm too bored to vote(irony), but I will say a few stuff about some maps.
First, NS2: Pure and total win. But I didn't like the "reward" for the buttons. I pressed Alt+F4 by instinct, and I had to go get the buttons all over again to see what the sign said. In short, when you find all the buttons, be prepared to be startled when you go the area they open. By the way, what sound effect is that, BZ?

Second, Hazard Factory: Good idea being able to trigger traps, bad rest of the level. For those of you who don't know, you trigger them by going to the second floor, then going through a fake wall.

Kaysakado said:
I'm too bored to vote(irony), but I will say a few stuff about some maps.
First, NS2: Pure and total win. But I didn't like the "reward" for the buttons. I pressed Alt+F4 by instinct, and I had to go get the buttons all over again to see what the sign said. In short, when you find all the buttons, be prepared to be startled when you go the area they open. By the way, what sound effect is that, BZ?

I dunno exactly WHAT that sound effect could of been...
<.<
>.>

NSZ2: WIN. 10/10

Very good, Only thing is the random crawla commander(s).

Versatile as a race map, Because Of it's linear design, And Nice water effects, And last, Upside down flowers, wtf!

Sandstone gorge: Somewhat good. The only thing Bad is the socced turrets that will never hit you anyway... And The pyramids are to something....
7/10

Dimensional zone: Spin at the begging... = bad. Non-noticeable death pits on an icy floor = bad. Something like this would have been better for circuit race.

6/10

NSZ2 button guide:
Link removed on request from BlueZero4 - Sonict
Save into your SRB2 foler, then add NS2, then use "PLAYDEMO LULZNS2BUTTONS". Near the end, I died a little, and I forgot where one of the buttons were, so I stumbled around blindly for a little, but most people could find there own route to the buttons if they know the locations.

I might try to remake the tutorial without stmubling around blindly, and without dieing, but that's a job for later.

Dimensional zone - 2/10

Pro- The Teleportation thing is a nice concept.

Con- Sky textures as wall textures, badly executed gimmicks, overuse of enemies, TOO SLIPPERY ICE, etc.

Nuclear Sunset 2 - 10/10

Pro- It is HUGE, looks great, plays great, has good replayability, it is perfect in every way.

Con- N/A

Sandstone gorge- 5/10

Pro- Some gimmicks are very clever, and nicely executed, no major problems.

Con- Most of this level is cramped, and when it isn't, it's probobly a large pit of quicksand, with hard-to-jump-on platforms.

Voting is over now, how soon can we hope to see results? *wish I had a chance to test the multiplayer ones properly, don't have enough communication I guess...*

Results!

Single Player:

Sandstone Gorge by .hack:
N/5/8/7/7/9/6/4/5/4/7/5/ - 6.0909

Dimensional Zone by simsmagic:
D/D/N/3/3/5/2/1/2/3/6/2/ - 3

Nuclear Sunset Zone, Act 2 by BlueZero4:
8/N/D/8/10/10/10/10/9/10/10/10 - 9.5

Match:

MAPA1 - Cobalt Falls Zone by Camo_Man:
6/7/D/N/3/8/5/ - 5.8

MAPA2 - Space Dock Zone by DarkWarrior:
7/8/4/7/4/7/6/ - 6.142857

MAPA3 - Hazard Plant by Senku:
8/6/D/7/6/9/6/ - 7

MAPA4 - Treetop Caverns by Senku and Spazzo:
5/9/N/D/2/3/3/ - 4.4

Capture The Flag

MAPA5 - Lush Falls Zone by Com:
9/9/6/8/8/9/9/ - 8.285714

MAPA6 - Meadow Plains Zone by DarkWarrior:
8/10/4/7/9/8/7/ - 7.571428

Circuit

4/8/4/4/0/3/ - 3.833333

7/6/4/6/3/8/ - 5.666666

N = No vote (Creator)
D = Dropped vote (Lowest)

Both were dropped in the averaging. I'll correct if informed that that is wrong.

On a side note, Jazz, I excluded your Circuit vote because, seriously, disliking a game mode, especially a legitimate game mode, is simply not a reason to ignore it. Sorry.

Dark Warrior said:
Results!

Single Player:

Sandstone Gorge by .hack:
N/5/8/7/7/9/6/4/5/4/7/5/ - 6.0909

Dimensional Zone by simsmagic:
D/D/N/3/3/5/2/1/2/3/6/2/ - 3

Nuclear Sunset Zone, Act 2 by BlueZero4:
8/N/D/8/10/10/10/10/9/10/10/10 - 8.6363

Match:

MAPA1 - Cobalt Falls Zone by Camo_Man:
6/7/D/N/3/8/5/ - 5.8

MAPA2 - Space Dock Zone by DarkWarrior:
7/8/4/7/4/7/6/ - 6.142857

MAPA3 - Hazard Plant by Senku:
8/6/D/7/6/9/6/ - 7

MAPA4 - Treetop Caverns by Senku and Spazzo:
5/9/N/D/2/3/3/ - 4.4

Capture The Flag

MAPA5 - Lush Falls Zone by Com:
9/9/6/8/8/9/9/ - 8.285714

MAPA6 - Meadow Plains Zone by DarkWarrior:
8/10/4/7/9/8/7/ - 7.571428

Circuit

4/8/4/4/0/3/ - 3.285714

7/6/4/6/3/8/ - 5.666666

N = No vote (Creator)
D = Dropped vote (Lowest)

Both were dropped in the averaging. I'll correct if informed that that is wrong.

On a side note, Jazz, I excluded your Circuit vote because, seriously, disliking a game mode, especially a legitimate game mode, is simply not a reason to ignore it. Sorry.

Umm... DW... all those scores don't add up...
GO BACK TO 6th GRADE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back