2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
how usable would quarter pipes be?
For falling onto them like in the GIF in the OP, it works pretty well. For anything else, however, they're inadequate. Using them the way classic Sonic uses them is right out.

What wizardry did you guys do to get slopes working in Software, anyway? Is there any chance similar wizardry might be able to one day increase the 35 FPS max?
There is a modification called "uncapped" that fakes this, but it comes with its own set of problems, specifically introducing control lag into single player. Doing it properly requires pretty much rewriting the entirety of the game's logic.

Are some of the Match & CTF stages getting this to?
How about the devs focus on SP first so that is ready for release.
Multiplayer modes are not on the priority list at all right now. Hell, multiplayer hasn't even been tested at all in months. The dev's team's priority for 2.2 is the same as 2.1: creating the best single player experience we possibly can.

But the devs ARE using co-op for testing as well, right? I love the new levels, but I don't want to get gimped by only triggered once sections of the level, especially since no one decided to change the trigger for music change to "each time" in ERZ3 before fighting Metal Sonic. (This is only my nitpick though)

I'm only a recent addition to the team and have never seen an update shipped on the side the sausage is made, but to my knowledge the only MP testing (and this includes co-op as well) done is shortly before a release. It's definitely not been drilled into my workflow so far, anyways.

creating the best single player experience we possibly can.

Alright, Singleplayer love is what i like to see! I hope to see something new from match in the end product :D

Last edited:
But the devs ARE using co-op for testing as well, right?
I don't think we have tested Coop officially in over five years. Probably longer.

The game is predominantly a single player game. The vast majority of our users never play the game in multiplayer at all. We try to support multiplayer as much as possible in our level designs, but multiplayer is not the priority.

Is "Lat"s Tails revision being added to v2.2? The sprite work currently doesn't meet game standards, but I think it is definitely higher quality than vanillas current set of Tails sprites. Whoever the other guy was that was creating a Tails revision probably wont finish his anyway. If someone touched up "Lat"s set of Tails sprites, then we would have our Tails replacement there. Otherwise, I still think it qualifies the way it currently is due to the fact the current vanilla Tails is pretty bad, and it has more animations to boot.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=41110

Is "Lat"s Tails revision being added to v2.2? The sprite work currently doesn't meet game standards, but I think it is definitely higher quality than vanillas current set of Tails sprites. Whoever the other guy was that was creating a Tails revision probably wont finish his anyway. If someone touched up "Lat"s set of Tails sprites, then we would have our Tails replacement there. Otherwise, I still think it qualifies the way it currently is due to the fact the current vanilla Tails is pretty bad, and it has more animations to boot.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=41110

Nobody on the devteam's really said anything about Tails getting new sprites, so I figure it's probably wise to set the record straight.

Iceman404 was working on a version of Tails called Miles. Whilst he's not part of the devteam, at the time we were banking on this being the official new version of Tails. Unfortunately after two angles of the standing sprite were completed life hit Iceman like a car, so the project's basically been stalled for the past year and a half (and no, we're not sharing the angle that hasn't been shown off). MotorRoach is extremely busy with getting by as well, and hasn't been able to put much time into SRB2 characters since Fucking Sonic was completed. Whilst it would be nice for him to be able to finish what Iceman started, it's unlikely that life would let this happen any time soon. As for the other spriters on the devteam, they're intimidated by the scale of work a new version of Tails would require.

Then we get to Kilometers. Lat's put a lot of effort into this, but... we had a vote, and it was decided that we don't want to repeat 2.0's mediocre Sonic-edit Knuckles and sacrifice quality just because something's completed already. We're sticking with AJ's work until a proper replacement is complete.

Hopefully this will be a handy resource to point to whenever the question comes up again (inevitably, as it will) in the future.

Sorry fam. There is always 2.3.

What exactly is the logic behind that decision though? How would quality be sacrificed when they would just be replacing the current sprite set with one better, even if it's just slightly better?

Because "better" is an opinion with sprite quality, and the overall opinion of the dev team is that AJ's old sprites are better.

But isnt Kilometers literally an extension of AJ's work? I mean, it looks polished, and yet, like it's something new entirely.

And to add to this, Kilo has Sonic 3&K flying physics, wasn't this like a thought process at some point in the dev team? Tbh, I know Kilometers is a lost cause, but "something" from him would be a great improvement to SRB2's gameplay, whether it be the indication of your flight time ending, or the way the player can progressively fly, or how about that multi-grab beta within Kilometers? Something from him can count as an improvement for 2.2.

Because "better" is an opinion with sprite quality, and the overall opinion of the dev team is that AJ's old sprites are better.
From the most objective standpoint possible, TailsCD has fluent animations, more animations to begin with, cleaner sprites without stray pixels, and actually looks more like Tails. I think most fans of the game would prefer TailsCD as well. It is something to consider.

I personally prefer Lat's TailsCD over Aj's (even though I also love that tails), and I favour the idea of having TailsCD in 2.2. I really can't think of a reason why to not add him; looks better, plays better, and is more like the classics. What's not to love?

I know, I said the most objective standpoint possible.
No, you are completely missing the point. This is art. There IS no objective standpoint. There are only opinions. You can't have a "most objective standpoint" here. You like the art in Kilometers more than AJ's Tails. We do not. These are both opinions and we are both welcome to them. However, since we are the people who choose what goes into vanilla, our opinion is the one that matters in terms of what gets into 2.2.

Just because someone makes something remotely cool doesn't mean that it necessarily has the quality necessary and deserves to be in vanilla.

snip
sfsafafsaf

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just too used to Tails' current flight physics, but I don't like the way Kilometers' flight handles at all. I don't think Tails should be able to gain so much speed so quickly just by letting go of Jump for a couple of seconds while flying. As he is now, Tails needs to build up speed on the ground before taking off if he wants to get some serious horizontal distance, but Kilometers' faster natural flight speed makes this technique less rewarding, thus robbing Tails' gameplay of some of its depth and making it, in a certain sense, less like the classic Sonic games, not to mention further widening the gap in usefulness between Tails and the other characters for players of moderate skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back