SRB2: Not just for English speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSNTails said:
1.1 has been retooled to allow for 'language packs', since apparently SRB2 is very popular in South America. Sik did a Spanish translation of most of SRB2.
Has anybody made a translation of SRB2 in French yet ?
If not, I want to help ! :)

SSNTails said:
Err... it's gotta be able to use the ASCII charset...
Extended or "classic" ASCII ? (Extended includes "é" "è" "à")

PS: sorry for the Bump...

Well, the spanish language uses some of those, like é. Another common one is ñ. So there you go.

Otherwise, it's like reading a translated word in English, like house, without the h. Ouse.

Chaos Zero 64 said:
Well, the spanish language uses some of those, like é. Another common one is ñ. So there you go.
Ok, I'll remember to download the srb2ME as soon as it's out to try to translate it in French (if possible and not already done).

Thanks !

Armand said:
What I understand is that the exe will read translations in separate files, that can be edited, not included into the main exe.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
From: http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?p=333083#333083

There are tons of programs and games that use separate files that can be easily edited in Notepad, similar program or a translator tool. After you've done the translation, you can merely move translation files into a "language" folder. Then, done. You can play.

This is a sample of a Spanish translation for PDFCreator:

Code:
[Common]
Author=José Luis Bellido Florido
Languagename=Español (España)
Title=Monitor de impresión PDF
Version=0.9.3
[Dialog]
Document=&Documento
DocumentAdd=Agregar
DocumentBottom=Fin
DocumentCombine=Combinar
DocumentCombineAll=Combinar todo
DocumentCombineAllSend=Combinar todo y enviar
DocumentDelete=Eliminar
DocumentDown=Bajar
DocumentPrint=Imprimir
(...)

But I don't like such syntax, I prefer something clearer, like:

Code:
Language name
Font file
#Comments
Internal text
Translated text
Internal text
Translated text
Internal text
Translated text
(...)

Arrow said:
srb2d3.jpg

Chaos Zero 64 said:
Brazilians speak Portuguese. And Portuguese uses more special characters than Spanish: vowels: á, é, í, ó, ú, â, ê, ô, ã, õ; consonants: ç.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_alphabet#Diacritics

Yes, the idea is that you will have a 'language file' which is a special text file that you can load which will allow you to change the text to other languages.

I don't believe that it's possibility yet, but there's a lot of work being done to make it easier to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back