Best Games of the Past Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboi

I've been on a "Best (x) of the Past Decade" (and GTA, but more on that in a sec) bender lately, and I was curious about your opinions of what the best game of the past decade would be. Personally, I'd say Grand Theft Auto III, for its huge influence and innovation. I decided to replay it this month, and I forgot how great it is.

Well, I have to admit, I somehow have still not played GTA3, so I can't vouch for that one, but of the games released in the last decade, there is one game that has unquestionably taken up more of my time than anything else:

Super Smash Brothers Melee.

I'm not one of the people that thinks Melee is better than Brawl, but I know that there are very few games that I am still playing on a regular basis when the sequel comes out, especially when the gap is 7 years. Me and my friends continued to play Melee on a regular basis for 7 years. That kind of staying power is well beyond most anything I've ever played.

I just wrote a huge paragraph, then I pressed backspace and it got ALL deleted. So I'll sum it up. :(

KH 358/2 days
Awesome music, PS2 cutscenes, gorgeous graphics, awesome re-playability, multiplayer, interesting characters and storyline.

I'm not quite sure that I'd say it's the best game of the decade, but Half-Life 2 was pretty damned revolutionary, I'd say, when you account for the amount of innovation in that game (realistic physics, Gravity Gun gameplay, ultra-realistic models, ect). And an insane amount of detail was put into its presentation and story, so if nothing else, it definitely raised the bar for video games.

Finally, it heralded the unveiling of Steam, which of course was revolutionary in its own regard.

Last edited:
I just wrote a huge paragraph, then I pressed backspace and it got ALL deleted. So I'll sum it up. :(

KH 358/2 days
Awesome music, PS2 cutscenes, gorgeous graphics, awesome re-playability, multiplayer, interesting characters and storyline.

Seconded, but for me...
Zone of The Enders 1&2
Some epic music, EXCELLENT gameplay, Brilliant graphics, ok story(Leo is kinda emo on the first), AWESOME MECHAS (Orbital Frames), and The almighty Formerly un-killable Anubis.(Unable to defeat him on the first game since you weren't supposed to) Hideo Kojima still has not made the third yet IN ALL THESE YEARS!

Aren't we still in the decade though? Decade is 10 years, and we still on 2010. 0 may be a number, but it isn't the number we start counting with, we start counting with 1.

God, I'm so confused.

Anywho, I think the game that kept me entertained for the longest time ever this decade was Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The game is packed with loads of side-quests, in a huge open world that's still keeping me entertained for hours and hours (about 150 so far, still haven't beat my current record of 800+ in Pokemon Blue)

Team Fortess 2 won my favorite game of the decade. The best multiplayer I've played since Freelancer, and I've played a damn well share of multiplayer games.

I'm not sure the above poster understands other peoples views..

Since I'm posting again, I'll also add another game.
Super Smash Bros M/B+ Mario Kart Series

These games have been out for some time. And I STILL play them constantly. I think that shows these games are special.

This one is tough for me to answer. This decade saw a lot of stellar releases, so it's hard for me to narrow it down...

If it's judged solely on staying power, then either Melee or Mario Kart: Double Dash would be my pick. I still play the latter on occasion with my buds...can't say that about Melee, however....actually, on second thought, here's another one that makes that list: Trackmania Original. That game had me from day one, and I've followed the series since. That's what, 5 years? I don't think I can exclude it from this list. The only other came I can really think of that would win the award for longevity is - surprise surprise - SRB2! Despite it not fitting the criteria because it's not a retail release, I've at least known about it since 2002 or 2003, which is crazy if you think about it now.

---

Now, of course, the best game of a decade isn't judged solely on if you're still playing it or not...I mean, there's so many titles running back and forth through my head right now that deserve honourable mentions: Portal, Worms World Party, Grand Theft Auto IV (which, ironically, I'm replaying right now, hi Bigboi), Team Fortress 2, Guitar Hero III, Blockland, Wario Ware: Mega Micro Game$, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Galaxy...

I'm going to probably throw you all back into your seats with my answer, but I think I'm going to go out and say that the best game was The Beatles: Rock Band. Maybe not from an impacting or even an influential point of view, sure, but just the fact that it exists still blows my very mind to this day. I'm still playing it to this day with my friends.

Last edited:
You like the Beatles don't you? :P

This is the most obvious statement of the past decade. :P

As for a best game? I don't really know, since I sort of gravitate to older games, and I haven't really given too many of these games a chance.

I would have to say that the most surprisingly good game of the past decade is probably Crash Bandicoot: Twinsanity. I thought that game was going to be bad because naughty dog isn't working on those games anymore, but I was really surprised at how well they incorporated humor and gameplay to make a really solid game. If you like those sort of platformer types of games for "last gen" consoles, then you should give this a shot.

Last edited:
Wrath of Cortex was one of my favorite games a few years back. Much like your typical Sonic title, you could play a level in a couple of minutes or spend hours digging for its secrets. And its time attack mode rocked. I honestly don't understand why it recieves as much flack as it does.

Last edited:
Honestly, i've started using my PS2 again mainly because of two games that I love...

RESIDENT EVIL 4
From the day I first got it from my cousin, to now, this game has always been fun. The visuals were decent, but could have been better. The variety of enemies was pretty good, and the unlockable weapons were pretty sweet too. The gameplay was pretty nice, especially with the new "Over-the-shoulder" camera system. Overall, it's a game anyone should try. I'm still hellbent on getting the Chicago Typewriter...

GOD OF WAR II
Being a fan of this series, getting this game was even better than I had imagined it, especially on the PS2. It was decently difficult, and had gameplay that kept me on my toes. It was a pretty long game, with familiar enemies from the last game. The cutscene visuals were awesome, and the voice acting was pretty good too. This is why i'm getting God of War 3...

Oh yes, and an honorable mention...

ODDWORLD: MUNCH'S ODDYSEE
Back in my days of being an Xbox owner, I used to love this game, it's story was neat, and the gameplay was fun. The humor was also pretty decent. I never managed to beat the game, though. I also happen to own the Gameboy version of this game, though it kinda sucks.

Twelve Historic Games of 2000-2010

--------------
DISCLAIMER: These are not necessarily my favorite games or even ones I've played, but games that deserve to be considered historic for this decade. Some games, while also outstanding examples have been omitted to prevent redundancy. These are in chronological order.
--------------

Grand Theft Auto III - 2001
Though the series began in the nineties, it was in the third installment that they began to take the form everybody is now familiar with. It combines an open-world exploration of the more criminal side of the city with a 3d engine to result with a formula that has not only become a winning strategy, but a standard for all open-ended games to come afterward... along with the video games' designated whipping boy for those that campaign against violent video games.
Metroid Prime - 2002
Not only an outstanding transition into 3d for Metroid, but also one that really pushes the games-as-art bar significantly high despite being a mainstream release. The use of the scanner and subtle details to play up the atmosphere could probably still be considered innovative now. Other franchises that have also played up atmosphere and exploration above basic gameplay include Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and Half Life 2.
The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - 2002
Not a big deal in the US, but it initiated a landslide in Japanese and weeaboo circles. While not the best game of them all, it redefined the series which did justice to an equally niche genre. To say Touhou became a fad would be both an understatement and an exaggeration.
Cave Story - 2004
Offered an outstanding retro experience before even Capcom was paying attention to the desire for the old style games. It provided the dramatic difficulty and classic gameplay along with excellent level design and a surprisingly deep story which set a standard for retro.
Rome Total War - 2004
Sets a new standard for strategy games, this game gives you an unprecedented mix between real-time strategy and turn-based strategy which highlights diplomacy like Civilization, trade and cultural evolution like Age of Empires, tactical sieges and maneuvering which expand on existing RTS conventions, and wrapped it up in a package that has inspired many cheap take-offs.
World of Warcraft - 2004
MMOs like Everquest come and go, but World of Warcraft was introduced in 2004 and even now in 2010 it is still going strong with very few challengers. It is the definitive massively multiplayer experience and has been blamed for many an addiction.
Super Mario Galaxy - 2007
While nothing can quite compare to the innovation of Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy represents a stellar shift for the series into the newest generation. It is also only game to feature such emphasis on the gravity mechanic and to do it almost flawlessly. The game also marks the first time an orchestra was used for a Mario game.
Super Smash Bros Brawl - 2008
Though it hasn't yet proven to possess the longevity of its predecessor, it deserves the spotlight not only for most of the same qualities possessed by the original, but also attention offered to former Nintendo franchise Metal Gear, and former Nintendo rival Sonic. Meanwhile the events building up to its release were quite historic, whether it was the polling between characters, Sakurai's PR dojo, or the three consecutive delays.
Wii Fit - 2008
More so than any of Nintendo's other offerings, this is THE nongame game to play. It is a risky strategy that pays off and offers their most significant achievement in appealing to casual gamers. It deserves to be remembered if only for its innovation.
Left 4 Dead - 2008
Brought to you by Valve, who gave you Portal, Half-Life 2, and Team Fortress 2... Left 4 Dead and its sequel are the biggest innovators on the co-op front, resulting in the best zombie survival experience they can offer by combining the shameless zombie hoard premise with fully fleshed out online multiplayer.
Little Big Planet - 2008
The main star of the game is not the platforming, though entertaining. It is not the style, though irresistible. It is the comprehensive editor which allows players to create their own levels with almost unlimited possibilities, and then share them in a fleshed-out online scene.
Braid - 2008
With gameplay, art, story, symbolism, motiffs, and puzzles that all blend into a single product, it is hard to accept Braid as merely a game. It takes a classic story of the hero searching for the princess and subverts it, and a classic sidescrolling game and subverts it with time control. Everything seems to have a deeper meaning and connection with everything else, including one theme that is too perfect for comfort. Other games that come close include Portal and World of Goo.​

Wrath of Cortex was one of my favorite games a few years back. Much like your typical Sonic title, you could play a level in a couple of minutes or spend hours digging for its secrets. And its time attack mode rocked. I honestly don't understand why it recieves as much flack as it does.

Because it was basically Crash 3 with different levels and better graphics. Oh, and the loading. The loooooooooading.

On topic, one of my choices would have to be God of War 2. The original was pretty nice, but the sequel improves on it in every way. The combat's fast and fun, there's tons of blood everywhere, about every scene is epic in some way (epic in scale sense, not epic like that retarded internet speak you kiddies keep using), and there's... I'm going to be blunt. It has boobs. That's also a big factor.

Here are my picks:

I liked the entire Mario and Luigi series tremendously. Each game had its drawbacks, but given that practically anything about one of the individual games that you could care to complain about is fixed or not as bad in one of the other two, the series as a whole is absolutely epic.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl was unbelievable. Probably my favorite game for the Wii, period. (But Super Mario Galaxy was a close second).

The Sly Cooper trilogy was amazing...though I must confess I've only played the first one. I have the second, but I've never gotten around to playing it. My cousins tell me it's even better than the first, though.

Pity all the Spyro games in the original trilogy weren't in the last decade...Spyro has no decent titles to speak of after Year of the Dragon. I'd say the very last Spyro game to embody even a tiny trace of what the little purple guy originally stood for was Attack of the Rhynocs...and anyone who's played that game will know how freaking tragic that statement is.

I've never played Psychonauts, but I've watched my cousin play it, and it looks completely epic.

Also, who could forget SRB2 2.0? *shot*

Well, that's all for now.

I feel like I'm growing up, because most of my favorite games suddenly feel repetitive and a bit boring. There's only one game that I love to play every day, and that is Super Smash Bros Brawl.

I liked Melee, but all of my friends weren't into it. We'd play for a half hour, then they get bored easily. So I had no choice but to play by myself. That's the reason I sold it.

If Brawl didn't had Wifi, who knows if it would of gotten sold already. With Wifi added, I would gladly play for 24/7. It's always the same old thing, but I never get tired of it. Once the connection looses, then I make a choice to continue playing or to give it a rest.

I still play other games, like GTA4, Pokemon, Zelda, and a few others. I usually want to finish the story before I stop playing it. But with Phoenix Wright, I still love playing the entire series whenever I can. I've played them all 5 times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back