A test my friend, a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish hook

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0ln7g7
A little test level I made to test out diferent FOFs and how to make star posts and end the level, but there are a few visual glitches.
You can see through some walls (Begining), there is a wall floating in the air (Once you hit the spring), the death pit underneath the floating flatform isn't that....deadly... and the water doesn't have a blue tint...
If some one could tell me how to fix them, I would be most greatful.

We'll do the easy ones first:
  • The death pit seems to be working okay for me.
  • The reason your water isn't blue is that your tags are incorrect: your FOF (i.e. water) control linedef and the sector inside the map where the water is to appear should have the same tag (which they currently do); also, your colourmap control linedef and your FOF control sector should have the same tag (but different from the last one).
Your other problems are due to broken sector references. Hover over your starting sector and you'll see what I mean: not all of the linedefs in the loop around your sector light up. This is because it doesn't realise that the non-highlighted lines belong to your sector.

If you switch into lines mode and hover over the ones that didn't light up, you'll notice that the front sector it reports is wrong. To fix it, edit the linedef and change the sector reference to the correct one. You have this problem in a lot of your sectors, not just in the starting one.

The next point is how to stop this happening in the first place. Three rules: never delete anything, never drag one sector into another, and when you're drawing lines, always complete a loop. If you're using WadAuthor, the problems are even more severe, but I forget exactly when they arise.

The restriction on deleting seems a little severe. However, the way to work around it is to make judicious use of the 'merge sector' function, and to drag adjacent vertices on top of one another, as the occasion suggests.

This problem affects enough people at one time or another that it should probably be explained in the Wiki. I might make a start on that shortly.

One last thing: your thok barrier's floor and ceiling should be at the same height, which they currently are not. Otherwise, you can walk into the sector itself, which is not what you want.

Thanks. I didn't think anyone would reply to be honest.
Oh, and there are ment to be 2 death pits. One near the end (The one hat works, and one underneath the floating platform.

Fish hook said:
Thanks. I didn't think anyone would reply to be honest.
Oh, and there are ment to be 2 death pits. One near the end (The one hat works, and one underneath the floating platform.
Ah yes, I missed that one; sorry. The problem's due to broken sector references again. Also, you've got crossing linedefs, which isn't allowed. Draw new sectors entirely inside existing sectors.

Ooga, it's ok to delete, as long as it's in linedef mode. But, if linedefs of one sector are on the wall around it, you're much better off merging the two so you don't get any bad sector references.

GCFreak said:
Ooga, it's ok to delete, as long as it's in linedef mode. But, if linedefs of one sector are on the wall around it, you're much better off merging the two so you don't get any bad sector references.
Deleting in lines mode is okay if you work on whole sectors at a time, but a common beginner mistake is to think, "I've got two sectors that border one another at a linedef, but I want to merge them into one sector, so I'll delete the linedef." One thing I've considered implementing in (the rewritten) SRB2 Builder is a feature that automatically merges when deleting lines, but there's an ambiguity as to whether they should be merged into the front or back sector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back