SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing > Editing Help

Old 04-02-2018   #1
SSNCaleb
Looking forward to SRB2 2.2

Default "Some entries couldn't be converted, see console log for details."

Ok, so I was making a Sound Compilation mod, and for some reason, the WAV format wasn't being converted, why is it doing this? How can I fix this?

Oh yeah, heres the link to the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f49ELvryhao
SSNCaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018   #2
Rapidgame7
Rookie modder

What program are you using, and if it is SLADE or Audacity, what are the steps to reproduce it?
If you don't give out that information it is going to be pretty hard to figure out whatever is happening.
Old 04-03-2018   #3
SSNCaleb
Looking forward to SRB2 2.2

I'm using SLADE, why do you ask?
SSNCaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018   #4
Rapidgame7
Rookie modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNCaleb View Post
I'm using SLADE, why do you ask?
because you could be absolutely using any other program and you did not mention it

Well, uh, can you describe the steps you are doing that makes the error appear?

EDIT: Might as well mention you should be NOT using .wav sound files because their size is immense. I recommend using Audacity to convert the sound to Ogg with quality 0 (lowest filesize with unnoticeable quality loss). Sounds can be Ogg.
Old 04-04-2018   #5
Torgo
Developer

If you are just making sounds effects, WAV files are fine. I think in the past DOOM WAVs were the only file type that can be used for sound effects, but it might have changed. Usually sound effects aren't long enough that OGG would make a significant difference in file size. WAV files have a slight advantage of loading quicker since it doesn't use compression, but the difference is probably going to be minimal on modern computers so just use whatever works. I would use WAV files for sound effects to be safe, and OGG for music.

Go ahead and look here for a tutorial on how to use custom sounds effects in game. If that doesn't help, see if you can find what bit rate and khz the sounds are in the official srb2.srb file. If you convert the wav file to use those settings with Audacity, I am guessing that would work.

Last edited by Torgo; 04-04-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018   #6
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Usually sound effects aren't long enough that OGG would make a significant difference in file size. WAV files have a slight advantage of loading quicker since it doesn't use compression, but the difference is probably going to be minimal on modern computers so just use whatever works.
Just as an aside, sound effects can sometimes be loaded multiple times per second, so I would personally say that using OGG/MP3 for sound effects is not really worth the risk. Uncompressed SFX and compressed BGM are two good rules to live by.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018   #7
Steel Titanium

I noticed that if a sound is a ogg file, when played back, it won't respect any of the sound flags and play from nowhere, unlike with WAV files, it will play far enough that the flag allow it, and etc.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote