Looking through walls in first-person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Some kind of guy.
So, while I was testing a match level that I am making, I noticed a few spots where the player could look through the wall while in first-person. This is clearly a problem for match stages.

Here are two examples of what I'm talking about:
13Ahgfh.gif

Gae6SAM.gif

The two walls that do this are FOF's, so could that have something to do with it?
How do I fix this?

I hate to say it, but this is probably an unfixable bug. It's got something to do with the way SRB2 renders your world (let's just say "inaccurately"...). If I were to guess, I'd say it's because the camera is clipping into the wall just enough for Software's rounding error to botch the order in which things should be rendered, but that's just a guess. But really, I think the likelihood of a player actually hitting these points is rather low...I'm afraid you'll just have to ignore it. Anyone playing your map will ignore it because most of the community is familiar with SRB2's many rendering issues, and so unavoidable ones are typically just glanced over as being that.

I think you're fine to continue.

Also, bump, but for a real answer.

Also, it is probably worth mentioning that someone would have to slow down to look into the wall in this extremely fast-paced game. By the time they look through the wall, they're dead.

Ideally, couldn't you work around this problem by putting another FOF inside of the problematic FOFs so when people try to look through they just get a face-full of more FOF? Just an idea.

Also, is it designed for you to actually go on top of these FOFs? From what I'm seeing, these just extend to the ceiling, and you could just lower the ceiling to get the same effect without the "looking through walls" part.

Thanks for helping out, guys.

Ideally, couldn't you work around this problem by putting another FOF inside of the problematic FOFs so when people try to look through they just get a face-full of more FOF? Just an idea.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. I was mostly just wondering if there was a quicker way to prevent this from happening so that I wouldn't have to go into the game to check which ones this happened for.

Also, is it designed for you to actually go on top of these FOFs? From what I'm seeing, these just extend to the ceiling, and you could just lower the ceiling to get the same effect without the "looking through walls" part.

Yes, the players are supposed to be able to go on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back