Level making help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prower

1.Well I downloaded Doom Builder and followed the steps. Then the tutorial shows how to make a thok barrier so I tryed to make it and what happens? I go and test the level and it makes it where im allowed to just walk out of my level without thoking. and creates a new border outside my level that I can thok through.

2.The tutorial also asks me to put in F_SKY1 but the problem is that F_SKY1 is not a texture so it converts to a redwall.

This is the tutorial I am talking about(can be found at the SRB2 Editing - Levels section)

1. Not sure you did the thok barrier quite right, remember it has to have the same floor height as ceiling height.
2. For starters, you need to put it as a flat, not a texture. Second off, it'll complain that it dosen't exist, just ignore that, it does exist.

You probably created your thok barrier wrong. Remember, the sector you're using as the barrier must have both the floor and ceiling height the same, creating a zero-height sector (EG. both the floor and ceiling are 32 fracunits high). I would also suggest that you create the thok barrier first, before you start any work on your level. This will minimize the amount of texture mistakes and incorrect sector references, errors that may sometimes appear if you attempt to create a thok barrier later and don't know what you're doing. Typically, it's best to create a large square for a thok barrier, then add in the level itself, stretching the square-shaped barrier when needed. Then, once you're established the level's shape, you can use vertex manipulation to shape the thok barrier so that it wraps around the level. Just be careful you don't accidentally drag any vertexes in a way that will cause them to autostitch.

As for the F_SKY1, that's not meant to be a real flat or texture. It's a special name that tells SRB2 to "draw the sky here". Putting it as the ceiling or floor texture will cause the sky to appear there and not a normal texture. As far as I know, you cannot apply F_SKY1 to walls. If you want the walls to show sky, you must make a thok barrier with the F_SKY1 texture. To make only certain areas have a sky wall, you can make a neighboring thok barrier sector - one that has an F_SKY1 ceiling, and one that does not. Mystic Realm has this in several levels - specifically, Jade Coast. You can use it as a reference when making multiple, neighboring thok barriers.

As for the thok barrier, the height change fixed the problem. But for the F_SKY1, How do you know if it is correct? Every time I try, it converts to a red wall from what I understand from the reference picture on the tutorial it shouldn't come up at a "Missing Texture/Flat", It should come up as a completely black image which will as said above, "draw the sky here". I would really like to make levels but due to the minor problem, it will make the whole level look bad and will be bad.

F_SKY1 shouldn't appear as REDWALL if you use it correctly. The only reason I can think of that would cause that is trying to use F_SKY1 as a texture -- i.e. on a wall -- instead of as a flat, on the floor or ceiling.

Also, wad editors generally will report F_SKY1 as missing, but you can ignore them. Recent builds of SRB2DB shouldn't, but I think it's somewhat broken.

either that or your level is using an unused level slot that doesn't point to a sky. Why not upload the wad so we can figure it out?

Okay what should I use? I find plenty of uploading websites but is sorta a "main" one that is used on this forum?

EDIT 1: I add it as a flat just as the tutorial tells me to do. Sorry for the confusion

Your first and best option is to use SRB2 FlatFileHost because it is preferred in this community. There's also Sendspace.com but that is so awful that it doesn't even deserve a hyperlink.

Wow I re did the tutorial focusing more on the steps and it fied my problem! Thanks for helping me.

I reccomend Mediafire over SRB2FatFile Host. That way your links can't get blocked by password protection making even you loose access to your file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back