Dummy flag SOC help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

WR 102
Alright, I am currently trying to make another one of my SOC's and I need help with this.

I have been working on, something like a Dummy flag SOC for CTF, just to mess up the players a bit.

What this does, is that the OFFICIAL flag is supposed to shoot two extra flags out of it. One being a collectable flag, and one being a bomb flag (which means when you touch it, it explodes)
Instead of spawning 2 flags, the official flag doesnt shoot anything and the origional flag that was supposed to shoot them, also dissapears.

If anyone would be willing to help me, this would be greatly appreciated
http://www.sendspace.com/file/l55j60
I claim this post as being the first post on this forum!

Well, I'm not sure of everything involving your problem, but for starters, you won't want to make the official flag do the spawning. Instead, set it's mapthingnum to -1, and set a freeslot's to 31. Then make that freeslot spawn the real flag, and the fake flag. As for your spawning issues, I'll have to look deeper into it.

Edit: No wait, I see your problem. You see, if an object has no target, A_FireShot does not work. Use A_SpawnObjectRelative instead.

Oh yes, Good point.

For the spawning of the flags, I have A_Randomstate. This makes the Dummy flag and the real flag spawn in diffrent places so it would be a bit confusing for players :wink:

Also, if it helps, I have A_ChangeAngleAbsolute/Relative to turn the flag to a cirtain degree and I have A_Fireshot doing the spawning of the flags, so the Flag object would spawn the collectable flag and the dummy flag on diffrent angles.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're saying. But how would I be able to get A_SpawnObjectRelative to work by spawning a object horizontally from it?

Well, you can't exactly do so HORIZONTALLY, you can with A_CapeChase though. So you could always try A_SpawnObjectRelativing both flags, then making them A_FindTarget the flag spawner, then A_CapeChase using var1 as the horizontal offset. Throw in a bit of delays, and some A_ChangeAngleRelative to flip the flag spawner, and you may be able to get it to work. It's all very theoretical though.

Edit: Of course, you could always be lazy and use Var1 of A_SpawnObjectRelative, it won't always be horizontal, but it'll work.

Ah very interesting.

Would it work if the flag spawner spawned the flags and then the flags that were spawned had A_MoveRelative on them for about a TIC?

Of course I would need to change their flags with A_SetObjectFlags, but I'm just being curious when I ask this.

*Previous post deleted in creation of this post*

Alright, I have good news and bad news
Good news is that I have this halfway working now.

Bad/weird news is that:
1) the Flags arent collectable
2) The blue flag constantly explodes Due to a A_Look action probably (I dont really know how to make this work On touch)
3) The blue flag keeps spawning flags in front of it, Which I do want, but not constantly.
4) The red flag doesnt do anything, it just sits there

Download beta link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/d81r7h
(If you download this, You will not be able to play CTF mode correctly.

What should I fix in the soc?

If the flags aren't collectable, chances are you either edited them in manner other than just the mapthingnum, or SOCEdit read their data wrong (As it does with alot of stuff)

As for the fake flag, maybe it'd be better just to make it constantly call A_Explode, this'll make it kinda close to a hazard object, though no exploding effect.

I actually have the MAPTHINGNUM's in some Freestates that the Flags would have, But I think those are supposed to be the actual flags...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back