How to stop wind/current with a button press? Change tag not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Obvious

You're welcome.
I have four linking sectors with constant backwards flowing wind. The wind is designed to be too strong for any character other than sonic to make it through (or any character with speed thok). I have a button that only tails and knuckles can reach that is supposed to stop the wind. The wind works fine. The button works fine. However, besides lowering the sector to "press" the button, nothing works. My setup:

1. I have four adjacent sectors, all with sector effect 512 (wind/current), tagged 87-90. They each have corresponding control sectors with one linedef with effect 541 (pusher - wind), same tags. These work perfectly.
  2. The button is a trigger linedef executor, floor touch (type 80). Tag is 91.
  3. I have 5 control sectors with a linedef of type 302, trigger once, and these linedefs are tagged to the button's sector. Tags are also 91.
  4. One of these sectors contains a linedef of type 403, (move tagged sector's floor), also tagged 91. This lowers the button, and it works as intended.
  5. The other four control sectors have, in addition to a linedef of type 302, have a linedef of type 409 (change tagged sector's tag). These are tagged 87-90 to match the wind sectors' tags. Their front texture x offsets are all 0, with the intent to change the wind sectors' tags to 0, turning the wind off. This should work when the button is pressed. It doesn't.
I've checked and double checked over and over if the tags are right, linedefs are right, etc. They are. Instead of changing their tags to 0, I've tried changing each sector to as-yet-unused tags 92-95. No joy. I even tried given corresponding wind linedefs with those tags, each 1/10th of the size, to slow down the wind instead of stopping it. No effect whatsoever.

Have I missed something? I'm beginning to wonder if something in the engine is broken. Either wind cannot be changed once the map is loaded, or change tagged sector's tag doesn't work properly (although that last possibility is doubtful).

Hm, I'm thinking that Wind/Current is an effect that is ran at startup that can't be removed once the map has loaded. Similar to how you can't create a new FOF midgame.

Try this: put the Wind effect on an invisible intangible FOF. Then, make it so that when you press the button, it changes the floor and ceiling of this FOF to be outside of the level so that players can't interact with it.

Last edited:
Wind is a thinker loaded into each affected sector as the map loads, and changing a sector's/linedef's tag won't affect the thinker list. A better solution for this specific use case would be to apply the wind to an invisible, intangible FOF (linedef type 223) that you have tagged to each of the sectors, and lower that FOF's height below the sectors' floors when the button is pressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back