Messing with Sector Spilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal96

Hi all,

Ready for an extremely odd question? Ok! Is it possible to manipulate sector shapes to control the way the nodes are built, causing a sector to spill in a fashion which I want it to? Like usage of convex/concave polygons, creating external dummy sectors to force the sector to spill in a certain direction, etc.

If you need to know what this is about, I've found an interesting way to simulate reflections using spilling of adjacent identical sectors with different lighting properties. Still needs work, but it looks interesting, and I plan on experimenting with it here (not on the MB but "here" as my actual location) (if never releasing anything because, well, unclosed sectors).

Well have you discovered anything so far? I've had ideas that used unclosed sectors and untextured walls myself, but I've never really delved too deep into it.

My main concern with messing with spilling sectors is that it can also mess with the collision detection.

Yes, it is possible to do. No, I don't know very much about how to do it. I'd have to know exactly which linedef is being chosen for each branch of the BSP tree generation, and I can't say as I have a clue toward that.

Well have you discovered anything so far?

I've been playing with the sector lighting mainly...

jPYTfwe.png

fn9a1QY.png

...and I assume this works with colormapping and fog, too, but I haven't tested it. As you can see, the light only spills on some of the sidedefs, instead of them all. This is why I want to manipulate the way it builds, in order to have everything spill "properly."

Oh, wait, you meant unclosed sectors, not trying to influence the shape of subsectors. Yeah, the end results of that are always pretty much undefined, and only a few special cases produce any particularly interesting results: those being self-referencing sectors (which I suppose aren't really "unclosed", but whatever). Although, those are more useful to Doom maps than they are SRB2 ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back