• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Capture Point Gametype- Using no code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violo

Resisting Pony Avatar
OKay, I started this project some time ago. Can't remember when but sometime this year. I got an idea of making a capture point gametype (TF2 based) using nothing but pure mapping and the objects and linedef types available in CTF mode. I thought it would be simple. That changed as I started it up again this week.
This is mainly a help topic, but it's also a WIP topic of this gametype, and eventually a map to go with it. The map is pretty simple, having five circle like points which have to be stood on by either blue or red team until it is captured (I'll put in a sound once I figure out how, or can be bothered) and onoce it's captured, the team can move onto the next point. It's pretty much tug of war between two teams. Once all the points are captured then the team who owns them all wins.
In this current build, only the middle point can be 'captured' but it won't activate any others since I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get the gargoyles in their boxes to make the other point be able to be captured. Any suggestions on how this is possible would be nice.

Builds

1.1- http://www.mediafire.com/?f6as7bfatf6fi82 (five control points, middle one working, no sfx or activating others)

And if you have any ideas for maps that can be made around this gametype, feel free to post it up.
Hopefully, I won't ditch this idea and be able to make a new gametype for others to enjoy. Discuss.

Last edited:
Ooo! A Capture Point Gametype! I think you should add it some coding tough...
And I can't help you on anything, since I don't even know what programm BUILDS levels or how to code, so yah...
Thats a nice start anyway!

Personally, I know how to make the gametype, but as usual as most other times, I don't know how to put it into the other language.

And by the way, i'm using SRB2 Doom Builder just in case that makes a difference.

I also haven't been working on this much (I blame Minecraft) but I'm still going to work on it when I figure out how to get the points so that they go in order.

Maybe, as a beta, you could make "doors" that only open for the other team (The blue team comes from it, and it opens for the red team as well when they capture the point near/related it), if that'd be easier than just making them go in order and stuff, for a beta or something.

You know, that is a really good idea. I'll keep that in mind. That will help a lot. Although, I'm sure how to do alternating spawn points, or even if it's possible.

I do belive this helps alot :3, I BELIVE. Not sure.

In this current build, only the middle point can be 'captured' but it won't activate any others since I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get the gargoyles in their boxes to make the other point be able to be captured. Any suggestions on how this is possible would be nice.

Oh, I kinda missed reading the gargoyle thing or forgot it. Maybe you can make something that moves the gargoyles "sideways" using floors theyre on, like the fact standing on the capture point raises 2 pillars, so they will go in theyre "boxes" once the point is captures. I guess this doesn't really help because I can't see the gargoyles... But it does make sense to me. Unless platforms that move sideways instead of skywards after standing on something is impossible, then my idea is screwed.
Also,
You know, that is a really good idea. I'll keep that in mind. That will help a lot. Although, I'm sure how to do alternating spawn points, or even if it's possible.
I had a game called UT2004 which didn't exactly have alternating respawn points on its capture gametype. Instead, the main spawn point had locked doors that would open and lead as shortcuts (you can use teleporters instead) that open after the point that was needed to be captured is captured, or something like that, making your team get a shortcut to the next point.

Last edited:
You can make the same thing that you made in every capture point, and adding a award points effect, then, when someone of the other team touch the capture point, the award points will turn off, and will turn on again when the pillars stay completely red or blue. But it'll have a lot of control sectors. XP

I'm thinking of creating a test map with two control points to work on the capturing mechanism before going onto the progression mechanic.
And ImaRawr, you can stop plane movement but I don't think you can stop conveyers, but I've got the whole "gargoyle movement thing" done but how to make it so that it makes the other points uncapturable.

I would make the conveyor on an FOF and move it between being slightly (1 fracunit) above the normal ground and slightly below. It would be almost exactly the same, you know.

I wouldn't need as many sectors if I used a vertical setup, so it would make maps a bit easier to download or run. And anyway, friction isn't the best thing in SRB2, after the conveyer disappears, the gargoyle would still move and make the capturing inaccurate.

Have several copies of the same map, and when a point is active, have a teleport take the players to the copy of the map with the next one open.

I have no idea if this would work or not, but it is an idea...

I wouldn't need as many sectors if I used a vertical setup, so it would make maps a bit easier to download or run. And anyway, friction isn't the best thing in SRB2, after the conveyer disappears, the gargoyle would still move and make the capturing inaccurate.
You can use the ice/sludge special to make the floor have waaay more friction. Like sandpaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back