Crappy Computer going to upgrade to vista,HOORAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowyfox

Hee-Hawk! That's a Giradonk
Okay,so the Upgrade Advisor is gonna tell me which is best (I wish it's home Premium or later) by the way can I show off my System stuff? maybe I should buy a better graphics card for Aero.
and it now it finished okay .. WHAT?BUSINESS?THIS IS NO BUSINESS THIS IS A HOME NOT A BUSINESS... but I'd just pretend it's for home... and the bad thing NO UBUNTU
Yes,I need 1 MORE GB so I can get good perfomance

Yes,I need 1 MORE GB so I can get good perfomance
Adding more RAM won't speed up everything like brand new. It'll just help the swapping and allow bigger data to be loaded.

You're better off starting fresh if you're looking for performance.

Upgrading from XP is always great. You'll get a bunch of "Vista sucks!" responses, but honestly, it's not that bad.

Windows 7 will be released on October 22nd, so if you can wait a little while, it's best to buy 7 instead. It's 100 times better than Vista, with all the same features and more!

Show off your system stuff -- your processor, your RAM, your graphics card, and your hard drive space. That'll help us know whether your PC is ready for an upgrade.

with all the same features and more!
Don't get your hopes up.

Before diving into a completely new OS, research on what would benefit you most in it, and learn about the disadvantages. Like most gamers' only reasons for going Vista is to use the latest DirectX 10 technologies to get the most out of the very few games that use it for minor new graphical features. Do soft particles, 'god rays' and HDR matter a lot to you in games? If no, then it's perfectly fine to stick to what you have (XP).

Last edited:
Upgrading from XP is always great. You'll get a bunch of "Vista sucks!" responses, but honestly, it's not that bad.

Windows 7 will be released on October 22nd, so if you can wait a little while, it's best to buy 7 instead. It's 100 times better than Vista, with all the same features and more!

Show off your system stuff -- your processor, your RAM, your graphics card, and your hard drive space. That'll help us know whether your PC is ready for an upgrade.

There all Minor errors not VERY BIG AND GIANT ones plus I heard there not giving updates to XP anymore( I dont wanna keep XP)
Manufacturer:
02101650 8700
Model:
CPU:
Intel® Pentium® III procesor
Memory:
512.00 MB
Hard Disk Drives:
"C" - 1.13 GB Free (28.62 GB Total)
Video Card:
nIVIDIA VIVA TNT 2/TNT 2 Pro
My thingy

TO DO LIST:
Upgrade CPU
Free Space
Upgrade my Internet Device
Get a DVD Drive
Upgrade Video Card (I think a GeForce will work fine)
1 more GB
TweakUI(Of course)
Windows Messenger (Are you stupid?)

but for the CPU I'd chose Due 2 core and will the C Drive have more space? or is there a 14 GHz Computer?

@a bee:Gaming is my best thing except when SADX uses DirectX 8 (is it compatible?) + I think XP sucks by the way

Last edited:
It wouldn't be simple to upgrade this current machine as it is, unless you like ebay hunting for legacy parts (the best CPU you can use in that one is a P3 1.13GHz, which does not cut it anymore). Vista on that machine would do more harm than good, and any good AGP card would be bottlenecked badly. SADX will still be slow even if you combine an AGP Radeon HD4830 with a Pentium III on XP.

Start fresh anew with all new parts. That means a new ATX case, new power supply (450w+), motherboard, CPU, video, RAM, HD, everything.
You can keep the keyboard, monitor and mouse if you're comfortable with them. You can also take your old hard drive in, but I wouldn't recommend keeping it in there forever. Back it up to a new one.

There is no 14GHz computer, and clock rates are no longer marketing tools these days. Ignore the GHz number.

Last edited:
Are you kidding? I don't think you will be able to install a Core 2 Duo into an old Pentium III machine...

You're better off just buying (or building) a new computer.

Don't get your hopes up.

Before diving into a completely new OS, research on what would benefit you most in it, and learn about the disadvantages. Like most gamers' only reasons for going Vista is to use the latest DirectX 10 technologies to get the most out of the very few games that use it for minor new graphical features. Do soft particles, 'god rays' and HDR matter a lot to you in games? If no, then it's perfectly fine to stick to what you have (XP).

Whaaa? Why the heck is Microsoft nerfing Windows?

BTW, if RAM isn't the solution to speeding up old computers, is there any way at all that that can be done?

Whaaa? Why the heck is Microsoft nerfing Windows?
Defective by design. It's the way of pushing upgrades for profit in the future by crippling something with a lot of user hype around its RC builds.
BTW, if RAM isn't the solution to speeding up old computers, is there any way at all that that can be done?
A Geforce2 would speed it up but only enough to run 2001-era games.

I wouldn't necessarily say that is the reason for all of the removed features. Remember, Windows has been weighed down over the years by legacy utilities and features that are most likely irrelevant to the Windows desktop of today.

Take for example the "deskbands" (panel stuff for displaying desktop items or an address bar, for instance), which were recently gimped. It's a holdover from ten years ago, and these days it's largely useless, since it adds clutter to the screen, and you can easily access such items through other methods. Would you rather have some giant address bar taking up room on your screen, or similar functionality in the form of Windows 7's new Jump Lists? Ever since 2002, I've seen "deskbands" as nothing more than archaic bloat. The implementation wasn't even very good, compared to desktop environments like Xfce and KDE. I'm glad that it's on the way out.

Don't get a new graphics card for Aero... that'd be silly. Get it for games! That is less silly!

And yeah, Vista will be crippingly slow on that computer. You... want a whole new computer. Upgrading that old one would be a waste of money, since you're very restricted.

Okay,I'm buying a Vista Computer (No,not for Aero) that has a Free 7 Upgrade

@Naga: I do that
@FoxBlitzz: I have a KDE right here! *pulls Kubuntu* duh?Which I totally hate,well kinda
but I think Gnome is better

a bee said:
It wouldn't be simple to upgrade this current machine as it is, unless you like ebay hunting for legacy parts (the best CPU you can use in that one is a P3 1.13GHz, which does not cut it anymore). Vista on that machine would do more harm than good, and any good AGP card would be bottlenecked badly. SADX will still be slow even if you combine an AGP Radeon HD4830 with a Pentium III on XP.

Start fresh anew with all new parts. That means a new ATX case, new power supply (450w+), motherboard, CPU, video, RAM, HD, everything.
You can keep the keyboard, monitor and mouse if you're comfortable with them. You can also take your old hard drive in, but I wouldn't recommend keeping it in there forever. Back it up to a new one.

There is no 14GHz computer, and clock rates are no longer marketing tools these days. Ignore the GHz number.
SADX will be slower?It runs just fine on my XP computer. and My Monitor is LCD,Offical Microsoft Mouse(I think) and a Keyboard that works with Vista

Last edited:
Kubuntu is probably one of the worst ways to try KDE. I'm sure Mark Shuttleworth has crafted some sort of conspiracy to make KDE look bad by providing an inferior implementation compared to other Linux distros.

Regardless of distro implementation I think KDE 4.x is bad anyway. It's definitely not 3.5.x, which I loved so much, but let's not get into a childish WM war here arguing about differing tastes.

They're already selling Windows 7 at the University of Iowa ITS store. First shipment arrived last week. They got it ahead of time. And since they sell it to benefit their students, we get a nice discount...it costs $7.00

My roommate got it - upgraded from XP. He didn't have to even wipe his harddrive. He was able to transfer everything, and he says that Microsoft really outdid themselves with windows 7. I'd definitely wait for windows 7 over Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back