[Wii] - Donkey Kong Country Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicX8000

Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge
donkeykongcountryreturn.jpg

North America Boxart. (No, this isn't fake. >_>)

Since the game is out now for me, I figure a topic can be made. (Game came out on Nov. 21, 2010 in North America. I got it on Nov. 23, 2010.)

As you might of known, it's been a long time since we had a Donkey Kong Country Game now these days.

In case you don't know what DKCR is or maybe you forgot about it since E3...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctijgmv_G3k
(WARNING: May contain spoilers, well... I don't know if a review/gameplay is a spoiler. >_>)

I... err, don't know what else to say here as I haven't really got far into the game.

Hmm... I suppose I could ask about 1-4 Sunset Shores in the game, I am actually impressed by some of the secrets here, what kind of secrets? Play the game to find out.

Oh, as for the controls, if your using just the Wii Remote, the controls can confuse you for the first time, however it might not, I pretty much got the control scheme noted in my head.

I think I should add on... you ONLY play as DK in 1-Player, Diddy joins you after you break a DK Barrel however to play as him you need another Wii Remote or something as he's Player 2, I think this is all I want to say for now.

Discuss.

Last edited:
When I was at Gamestop to buy Sonic Colors, I noticed the trailer for this game being played. It looked pretty cool, and it appeared to have semi-good graphics. I don't have the game, but I might put it on my Christmas list.

EDIT: Also, I noticed the Rhino (Rambi..?) on the cover. Are there any of DK's other partners in this game (The Swordfish, and some other ones I forget)?

My friend got it yesterday and we played some coop for a couple hours. Fun game so far. I'd recommend it.

I think I should add on... you ONLY play as DK in 1-Player, Diddy joins you after you break a DK Barrel however to play as him you need another Wii Remote or something as he's Player 2, I think this is all I want to say for now.
If you're doing single player, Diddy Kong can join in, but he'll be latched onto Donkey Kong's back the entire time. The difference between being latched on and not is who controls Diddy's jetpack, basically.

Also, I noticed the Rhino (Rambi..?) on the cover. Are there any of DK's other partners in this game (The Swordfish, and some other ones I forget)?
I played through a couple worlds, but I didn't seen any partners yet. There are minecart levels, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they reenacted the partner gimmicks too.

If you're doing single player, Diddy Kong can join in, but he'll be latched onto Donkey Kong's back the entire time. The difference between being latched on and not is who controls Diddy's jetpack, basically.

*Headdesk* I forgot about that, so far I'm at 1-6 now.

Is it normal for me to have 50+ Lives on the first world? Let's say I replay some of the levels to collect all the stuff in it. (KONG Letters, Puzzle Pieces, etc.)

*I haven't even bought any of those Balloons in the shop yet. Only things I buy is Squaks, Heart Boosts, and the Key. Maybe a Potion.*

*EDIT*
Oh great... the Mine Carts are more annoying now. You know how in the old DKC that if you get hit while you have both Kongs, you lose a Kong? Well...
Get hit once and your dead. That's right, one hit on the Mine Cart and your dead.

Last edited:
Wow, and here I thought (mainstream) games were getting way too easy with no hope of the situation improving.

If it has the same sort of devilishly hard timing quirks the original DKC games had, I'm game.

I played this with my best friend over this thanksgiving. After about an hour we switched over to Maden NFL 11(And I hate sport games with a passion). DKCR doesn't feel fun. Beat like 5 levels (not 1-5) and that was it.

So... I just beaten the game today with all KONG Letters collected and all Puzzle Pieces collected, which gave me 100% on my save file.

First let me say that once you get to World 8, you better have stocked up lives because you WILL need them, especially if your doing Coop, I think I lost about 40+ lives in total in World 8, however they kindly put a Bonus Barrel near the start/checkpoint in some levels which holds some Extra Balloons, perhaps 2 (And 3 due to the 100 Bananas.)

8-2 "Hot Rocket" has the Final Rocket Barrel in the game, and trust me, this is perhaps the HARDEST out of the other ones, even 7-4 "Gear Getaway" is slightly easier than this *This one has a Rocket Barrel as well.*. I pretty much blew 20+ Lives on here, once you think your pass the hard level and going onto 8-3, well... *drum roll* ANOTHER ****ing* MINECART LEVEL called "Roasting Rails" however... it isn't as hard as 8-2 but still proves a challenge. I am surprised I didn't even got a Game Over in the entire game as the first few worlds give you plenty of Lives if you don't plan on spending your Coins for lives at Cranky's Shop.

If you want something more challenging than this, then reveal this spoiler if you dare.
There's a secret mode called Mirrored Mode, which you do the level backwords and... you can only do it as DK and guess what? Diddy doesn't help you, and your down to 1 Heart and you CAN'T use any items. In shorter words...touch anything and your D-E-A-D. Try this mode in World 8 if you want to go insane.

Now I haven't did all of the Time Trials yet, and I am not sure if they count towards 100%, if they do, well... I'm pretty sure this won't be good if your going for the Gold, especially in World 7 & 8. >_>

Last edited:
I love doing the time attacks! Just got 1:08 seconds on Platform Panic ^^ and 0:52 on Jungle Hijinx :P
They better count for something...>=[

Oh my god. My opinions on this game were already pretty bad.

There's a world where every level except 1 or 2 is mine carts. It's so unfair I actually used the Super Guide just so I could get to the boss and never play the world again.

Am I only one who didn't use the Super Guide even once?

After many deaths, that Pig appears and asks me if I want Super Kong to do the level for me, here's my thought.

"No, go away, I avoid being cheap at letting some CPU do it for me."

Besides, it's better knowing you did the level yourself anyway.

Last edited:
Yikes. Is the Super Guide like the Rosalina Ghost thing in Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Looking at SonicX8000's post, it seems like it. It looks like a "Rosalina"(Super Kong?) guides you through the level, beating it for you.

Yeah.

Except unlike SMG2, you don't get a Bronze star or something after it completes it for you. It's just that the marker of the level will stay red until you beat it.

I guess the super guide makes sense if the developers made a really shitty level that players can't get past, but really, compared to a challenging NES game that didn't have super guides, I think the option of the guide just encourages players to make choices that feel a lot less rewarding.

I think the point of the Super Guide is that developers can give new players a chance to beat the game without having to nerf the difficulty for the more experienced players.

You want my take, though? I remember when I was young and first playing video games on the NES and SNES that were quite unforgiving. Yes, I could only play through a small fraction of the game but I liked it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back