Dividing a room with an FOF

Status
Not open for further replies.

blm768

I'm just starting out with SRB2 level design, and I'm trying to divide a sector into two vertically stacked rooms with an FOF in the center. I know how to create a standard FOF, but I'm having trouble preventing the FOF sector's linedefs from merging with the room sector. Is it possible to make the FOF stretch wall-to-wall without any gaps, or will I have to make a gap along at least one edge?

I think you should probably put that back on. I think that if is kept on that there will be less errors, but I could be wrong. I also think you can zoom in a bunch of times to make it not attach to existing point while having the stitch vertices on.

It turns out that I spoke too early; it's refusing to work again...
If I leave stitching on, it doesn't seem to create a new sector for the FOF when I copy it and paste it over itself. Without stitching, I get overlapping linedefs.
I'm not sure what the right technique is, but it should be basically the same as filling a pit with water. How do you get that to work?

Try placing the vertices on points like this:

First, make sure everything is set-up.

Ixm3B.png

Then, set up the FOF's level sector like this, in between the walls so that it floats separately.

To5R4.png

Set up everything with the FOF so it's to your likings.

oPdtn.png

Then, stretch the in-game FOF Sector Lines to match the lines of the walls:

98UsT.png

And you're all set.

nMWXG.png

In-game screenshot

I could try that, but I haven't messed with linedef executors yet, and my room is an irregular shape. There must be a way to do it; the bridges in GFZ1 seem to reach to the edges of their parent sectors in the editor.

I could try that, but I haven't messed with linedef executors yet, and my room is an irregular shape. There must be a way to do it; the bridges in GFZ1 seem to reach to the edges of their parent sectors in the editor.

Maybe make new vertices in the FOF target sector and drag each to a vertically/horizontally (depends which way the bridge goes) aligned vertex?

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Oh, and what has LD Executors got to do with setting up an FOF? (SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST)

Oh, and what has LD Executors got to do with setting up an FOF? (SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST)

I think I misunderstood the meaning of "run-time;" I thought it was saying to change the vertices in-game.

I'll see if setting up the FOF before putting the vertices in place helps. If not, I might just leave a 1-fracunit gap at the edge, but I don't really like that idea much...

Edit:
It worked! I guess it handles FOFs differently from normal sectors when merging the vertices.
Sometimes I wish that SRB2DB had lower-level data structure access; it might make strange cases like this easier.

Last edited:
I think I misunderstood the meaning of "run-time;" I thought it was saying to change the vertices in-game.

I'll see if setting up the FOF before putting the vertices in place helps. If not, I might just leave a 1-fracunit gap at the edge, but I don't really like that idea much...

Edit:
It worked! I guess it handles FOFs differently from normal sectors when merging the vertices.
Sometimes I wish that SRB2DB had lower-level data structure access; it might make strange cases like this easier.

Glad to be your basic FOF guide! Wait... THAT'S MY CURRENT USER TITLE! Anyway, glad to have helped!

As it turns out, there's no special handling for FOFs in the "stitch vertices" option; I had just misunderstood FOF mechanics. I didn't realize that the FOF was added to the map sector instead of replacing it entirely as a distinct object. All I need to do for the effect I want is to tag the whole room as an FOF.
Maybe the wiki entry should be tweaked to emphasize this point; I'm probably not the only one who has run into this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back