Character Sprite Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

VentureSonic

Please call me VentureSonic
I'm working on a character wad (no plans on putting it on the MB) but it always crashes whenever I start it.

4WmNDSP.png

I've set it out in a layout where it's like this:

• Life Icon
  • Character Select Icon
  • Luas
  • MainCFG (Character Select)
  • S_SKIN
  • Character Sprites (LUGI)

Please help.

You may have made a mistake in naming the sprites you need for your .wad, or potentially missed out some entirely. You need at least an 0-rotation sprite for every character between A and lowercase m inclusive. For reference on what those frames should be, check this wiki page.

Alternatively, the issue you may be having is that your Lua script attempts to define SPR_LUGI as its own sprite name for extra frames - you can't do that. Have a dedicated S_START and S_END block containing the extra frames starting from the A frame under a different sprite name (ie- SPR_LUIG). If you still want them to be under the LUGI name and not set up an S_START/END block, you can refer to them in Lua using SPR_PLAY.

Ultimately, I'm just guessing here - if you show me the .wad, I'll probably be able to figure out what's wrong for sure. These are my gut instincts, though, before I get destracted from divwork.

Last edited:
Thank you, the problem was that in renaming sprites, the "On the Edge 1" frame was turned into letters due to how SLADE works.

Ah, cool! Glad to see it's sorted :D

Silly SLADE, barging into our character domain...

Yeah, SLADE's been using ^ as one of its new wildcard characters for mass renaming (single lump renaming is unaffected) since v3.1.1 now. Kind of bothers me, but apart from making characters there's not really that many instances it would be an obvious problem... at the moment, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back